Meditation, any of you into that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meditation, any of you into that

I am thinking it would be a good idea to quiet my mind around this time each night in hopes of being able to go to sleep easier. My mind will get active as I lie in bed. Thinking about the market. Thinking about clients. I will watch the news, Perry Mason, the Five to take my mind of it and sometimes I fall asleep. Sometimes I don't and still actively think of what I was thinking of before watching the shows.

I have this idea of having a period of quieting of the mind. I was going to google it and see if their were discs on doing this I could listen to. A long time ago I would listen to tapes with rain, waterfall, etc. while subliminal messages were being given. I don't know if that really worked.

A light went off. This board offers good advice a lot more of the time than I find on google. I would like the easy way. Put on some type of meditation tape and listen. Maybe that isn't how it is done. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
    I am thinking it would be a good idea to quiet my mind around this time each night in hopes of being able to go to sleep easier. My mind will get active as I lie in bed. Thinking about the market. Thinking about clients. I will watch the news, Perry Mason, the Five to take my mind of it and sometimes I fall asleep. Sometimes I don't and still actively think of what I was thinking of before watching the shows.

I have this idea of having a period of quieting of the mind. I was going to google it and see if their were discs on doing this I could listen to. A long time ago I would listen to tapes with rain, waterfall, etc. while subliminal messages were being given. I don't know if that really worked.

A light went off. This board offers good advice a lot more of the time than I find on google. I would like the easy way. Put on some type of meditation tape and listen. Maybe that isn't how it is done. Any suggestions?
    I exercise instead. After the mkt closes, I usually run 5-7k

That, or I don't sleep and work. I don't need more than 4-5 hrs night of sleep and get stressed if I sleep more than six.

I've been starting a new project where I try to write a letter to my daughters 2-3x a week...some times long, sometimes short. Normally a story from mine or their past or present.

I plan to give it to them in about ten years. I figure it will be about 1,500 pages by then. It's already about 120...

Comment

I think their is a very fine line between meditation and prayer. Whether it be God or just the quiet time it seems like a good time to work out problems. Worrying about problems not only is unproductive it can wear a person down to the point wear they can't even deal with the problem. Find somewhere quiet and work out a plan in your mind and attack the problem the next day. it's amazing what we humans can overcome and I sleep better and feel better about myself when I'm proactive.

Comment

Stressing about issues not only is unsuccessful it can use a individual down to the factor use they can't even cope with the issue. Discover somewhere silent and perform out a strategy in your thoughts and assault the issue the next day.....

Comment

I believe in going to your closet and praying/meditating.

When I get "feeling anxious" I take a good long hot bath in the dark, and it's amazing the therapeutic feeling it has. I've also flirted with sensory deprivation and have found that to be a huge mind expansion experience. I can see how, that if you took drugs with sensory deprivation, you could really blow your mind.

I've been thinking about buying one of these, but life-to-date my wife is not letting me pull the trigger.

Last edited by clackamascoug; 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

My wife and I are going to do the sensory deprivation tank thing in a couple weeks. Has anyone here done this before besides Clack? I've been intrigued by it for a while. The place I am going to in Brooklyn has options where you can float in a room (kind of like a baptismal font) which has little or no light depending on your preference, or in a pod with zero light. As a mildly claustrophobic person the pod kind of freaks me out.

Comment

I've heard plenty about this on Joe Rogan's podcast. While my ideas and views about a lot of things are pretty distinct from his, he's pretty interesting to listen to. I want to try this at some point.

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                I've heard plenty about this on Joe Rogan's podcast. While my ideas and views about a lot of things are pretty distinct from his, he's pretty interesting to listen to. I want to try this at some point.

Rogan is fun to listen too, I'd like to try a sensory deprivation tank, not sure if I have the stones to try the cryotherapy though.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  My wife and I are going to do the sensory deprivation tank thing in a couple weeks. Has anyone here done this before besides Clack? I've been intrigued by it for a while. The place I am going to in Brooklyn has options where you can float in a room (kind of like a baptismal font) which has little or no light depending on your preference, or in a pod with zero light. As a mildly claustrophobic person the pod kind of freaks me out.
                  I will admit that I have no idea what the point of this sort of thing is. Just to totally limit any distractions?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    I will admit that I have no idea what the point of this sort of thing is. Just to totally limit any distractions?
                    Don't know. Hey! Check out this video I found online that completely explains it.

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Rogan is fun to listen too, I'd like to try a sensory deprivation tank, not sure if I have the stones to try the cryotherapy though.
                      I would do it. You don't get wet and it's only three minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        I would do it. You don't get wet and it's only three minutes.

#TWSS
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

#TWSS

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

#TWSS
                            More like #TWITH (That's What I Tell Her)
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Not having participated myself, I'm not sure. While I don't expect a profound spiritual experience like Rogan, I am hoping for something akin to what he talks about. Mainly I'm just very stressed. I have a hard time calming my mind down. When I do try to meditate or pray, I get distracted very easily. I'd like to spend 60 minutes with just my thoughts and see if it does me any good.

Floating in the Dead Sea was one of the most relaxing things I've ever done. If I can feel that relaxed in dirty water with European speedoes all around me, I am hopeful a tank will be a good experience. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X