Primal Blueprint...anyone read/prescribe to this?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Borg
    Tour de CS 2013?
    • Dec 2008
    • 1501

    #1

    Primal Blueprint...anyone read/prescribe to this?

    Anyone have any opinions regarding the "Primal Blueprint" philosophy for eating/lifestyle?

    Just getting into the book. Have a good buddy giving it a go for the last 6 months and he's seen some good results.

    Thoughts?
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

    Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.
  • Jacob
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 6801

    #2
    Originally posted by Borg View Post
    Anyone have any opinions regarding the "Primal Blueprint" philosophy for eating/lifestyle?

    Just getting into the book. Have a good buddy giving it a go for the last 6 months and he's seen some good results.

    Thoughts?
    I'm fan. It's pretty similar to a Paleo diet which is very popular among the athletes I train with, and I believe it is the best diet for athletes. I try to stick to its general outline, but am not super strict.

    I don't buy the overall premise that we need to eat like that because that's the way our ancestors ate 10,000 years ago, or 100,000 years ago and that's the way we evolved. There is something to that, but why should we content with the evolutionary process of our primal ancestors? We are much smarter than they and we have come up with some delicious alternatives.

    In general, I avoid sugar and grains and eat lots of meat and veggies. I do buy the science that our body simply does not break down and convert the sugars/carbs which causes problems. But, OTOH, I think the main benefit to eating meats and veggies, is that they are more filling and don't create the cravings that sugars do. Once I eat a couple of cookies, or a soda, its back to the fridge for another, or to the pantry for some chips, or to the burger stop for a shake.

    Also, I agree that there is nothing bad about eating fats.

    I haven't read the book, but I have used the author's blog/webpage as a resource: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ (I think its the same guy)

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12365

      #3
      Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      I'm fan. It's pretty similar to a Paleo diet which is very popular among the athletes I train with, and I believe it is the best diet for athletes. I try to stick to its general outline, but am not super strict.
      Crazy crossfitters.

      Comment

      • Jacob
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 6801

        #4
        Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Crazy crossfitters.
        Yep.

        Comment

        • Borg
          Tour de CS 2013?
          • Dec 2008
          • 1501

          #5
          Jacob -

          Yep...agree with your assessment. There was a reason our ancestors life expectancy was like 30 years at most. There has been some great advancements in many things...but, his carb/sugar insulin connection has really piqued my interest and makes sense to me.

          His story line of comparing us to the ancients ....well, I think it is more for dramatic effect than anything and to make his point. But, I do see some advantages to what he is saying.
          "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

          Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

          Comment

          • Borg
            Tour de CS 2013?
            • Dec 2008
            • 1501

            #6
            SuperG's post got me thinking about the Primal Blueprint way of eating that I adopted just a few months ago.

            Just By way of reporting. I started following the Primal Blueprint method of eating pretty much June 1, 2011. Basically, it is going back to basics of what our bodies were designed to eat...fruits, veggies, and meat. Eliminating much of the carbs we take in due to how it affects our insulin levels etc.

            Well, I'm happy to report that although I'm not a fanatic, and will eat normally when I go out, or when I don't have the choices to eat as I would like, I am happy to report that I have lost 20 lbs and hope to hit 175 sometime before the end of September. If I do, it will be the lightest I have been since when I entered BYU as a freshman, fresh off my high school football days.

            Love the way I feel when I eat fruits, and veggies. No more do I eat and say "ick...I feel gross" after eating a dinner or lunch. I think this philosophy is about the best thing I've discovered in a long long time for my personal health benefits. I highly recommend looking in to this book and philosophy. Fits perfectly with the LDS view of the 'Word of Wisdom" as well.

            Have never really been able to lose weight in the past. I would excercise more, ride my bike tons and put massive amounts of miles on...but, in turn, it was "what" I was eating after that negated any effects of exercising. This book is good stuff.
            "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

            Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

            Comment

            Working...