Sitting is Killing You

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #1

    Sitting is Killing You



    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic
  • SteelBlue
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8189

    #2
    It's kind of funny when people use the argument (I hear it a lot related to diet) that hundred(s) of years ago humans were working fields, chasing prey, eating fruits and berries, not using teflon pans, obesity didn't exist etc... and thus we just weren't meant to do "x" and it's killing us. Yet here we are living to an average age of what, 78? Sitting may well be killing us but geez, something has to and I'd bet we're still living a lot longer than those folks a hundred or more years ago.
    Last edited by SteelBlue; 05-17-2011, 07:38 AM.

    Comment

    • old_gregg
      scaly man fish
      • Nov 2009
      • 16915

      #3
      there is an interesting case out there for the standing desk. i've seen some cool designs that attach four chains to ceiling joists and save a lot of floor space.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #4
        Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        It's kind of funny when people use the argument (I hear it a lot related to diet) that hundred(s) of years ago humans were working fields, chasing prey, eating fruits and berries, not using teflon pans, obesity didn't exist etc... and thus we just weren't meant to do "x" and it's killing us. Yet here we are living to an average age of what, 78? Sitting may well be killing us but geez, something has to and I'd bet we're still living a lot longer than those folks a hundred or more years ago.
        There is that irony isn't there?
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • thesaint258
          aka Benito Hazard
          • Jan 2009
          • 3005

          #5
          It's just nature's way of killing all the lawyers. Of course, that has the natural consequence of killing off most of the politicians too, so it's not all bad.
          Not that, sickos.

          Comment

          • YOhio
            Hipster Mode
            • Nov 2008
            • 26165

            #6
            Originally posted by camleish View Post
            there is an interesting case out there for the standing desk. i've seen some cool designs that attach four chains to ceiling joists and save a lot of floor space.
            Donald Rumsfeld used a standing desk.

            Comment

            • New Mexican Disaster
              Suomalainen
              • Nov 2008
              • 4549

              #7
              I recently met with a legendary consumer attorney in New Mexico who uses a motorized stand/sit desk. It set him back about two grand is all. I am thinking of getting one when and if I ever have any money.

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #8
                Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                I recently met with a legendary consumer attorney in New Mexico who uses a motorized stand/sit desk. It set him back about two grand is all. I am thinking of getting one when and if I ever have any money.
                Try this. It's a quarter of the cost.

                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Try this. It's a quarter of the cost.

                  http://www.bizchair.com/kangaroopro-...tor%20Mount%20
                  Here's the company's website:

                  http://www.ergodesktop.com/
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #10
                    I stand about half the time. Here is my desk...

                    Down:



                    Up:

                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Ted
                      The Big 12 money shot.
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 28853

                      #11
                      Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                      I recently met with a legendary consumer attorney in New Mexico who uses a motorized stand/sit desk. It set him back about two grand is all. I am thinking of getting one when and if I ever have any money.
                      I got mine from here: http://www.ergodirect.com/product_in...ducts_id=15015

                      I got a doctor to prescribe it and, therefore, wrote it off my taxes.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • old_gregg
                        scaly man fish
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 16915

                        #12
                        ted, you need some cable management solutions! it's making me claustrophobic. i have this mounted on my desk and entertainment center.


                        one of the best investments i've ever made was my herman miller aeron. i got it on ksl for like $300, and it is incredible.
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Ted
                          The Big 12 money shot.
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 28853

                          #13
                          Originally posted by camleish View Post
                          ted, you need some cable management solutions! it's making me claustrophobic. i have this mounted on my desk and entertainment center.
                          Very nice... I am looking for something like that.

                          Edit: Called the wife and she is picking me up a couple today.
                          Last edited by Uncle Ted; 05-17-2011, 09:20 AM.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Clark Addison
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10312

                            #14
                            Why do I get the feeling that Creekster is waiting at his desk, continually refreshing CUF, waiting for the re-work of this thread title? I trust it won't last more than 4 minutes.

                            Comment

                            • Moliere
                              One man.....one pie
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 27886

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              I stand about half the time. Here is my desk...

                              Down:



                              Up:

                              Isn't it a big pain to move everything from one desk to another in the middle of the work day.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                              Comment

                              Working...