Plantar Fasciitis

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69687

    #16
    I suffered from that for years. Finally stopped messing around with regular docs and went to a podiatrist and got surgery, cortisone injections, and orthotics. I am healed.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21139

      #17
      Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      First, thank you for the input.

      I'll work in some additional calf stretches. I actually started doing some calf drops on the stairs today thinking that a little stretching combined with exercise might be good.

      I've got a massager I can try as well and see if it helps.

      So - what can I do as far as exercise in the meantime, and what will aggravate it and keep it from healing?

      Running sounds like it is out. Or is a slow jog OK on a very limited basis?

      Does cycling cause issues, or is that a better plan?

      Or should I just stick with walking and swimming?

      I've got a tri I'm signed up for the end of July and would love to not take the next month or 2 off completely. But I could see just swimming and cycling, or very limited running, etc.

      Thanks again for the advice!
      I deal with a few different problems with my feet - collectively I call it "too fat for my flat feet." I've had a lot fewer problems since getting orthotics (to copy Jeff). I've also found that cycling helps - it's a low-impact way to increase my activity level (which is nowhere near doing a triathlon, biathlon, or even just an athlon).

      Probably better not to run or jog, but if you end up doing it anyway, be sure to stretch really well before and after.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • hostile
        lollygagger
        • Dec 2009
        • 5736

        #18
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I suffered from that for years. Finally stopped messing around with regular docs and went to a podiatrist and got surgery, cortisone injections, and orthotics. I am healed.
        I think your experience is the rare exception with this issue. I agree that if symptoms haven't improved for years then something else needed to be done (and probably should have been done sooner in your case).

        As far as activity goes, this is an inflammatory process. Healing / recovery needs to allow the inflammation to decrease. Walking, swimming, cycling, elliptical are all low impact and should be OK. Back off running and jumping until symptoms improve.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

        "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

        Comment

        • Eddie
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 8098

          #19
          Thanks for the input everyone. This was a whole new thing for me, I'm hoping it's just because I hadn't done much for a few months and then got out running again - too much too soon.

          Comment

          • Eddie
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 8098

            #20
            Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Thanks for the input everyone. This was a whole new thing for me, I'm hoping it's just because I hadn't done much for a few months and then got out running again - too much too soon.
            Went to see a sports med doc a little over a week ago.

            He says I didn't have any inflammation - but I do have some scar tissue behind my heel. So I've been given some stretches and exercises to do. They tell me the stretches are OK, but it's the exercises (heel drops, mostly) that will do the most to break up the scar tissue resulting in pain. Says if I don't notice a difference in 3-6 weeks it might be time for some formal PT and scraping.

            Can't believe this has been going on since before February!

            Comment

            Working...