No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contrary to my usual belief that it's best to push it pretty hard every time out, taking it slow on some runs is actually beneficial. On a recent 6 mile run, I slowed down to a 10:30 pace and felt great. Interestingly, three days later I ran what I thought was my usual pace (9:25/mile or so) for 3.5 miles and discovered I was actually doing 8:40, much better than my usual. Today I took it easy again, this time over five miles, thinking I was at 10+/mile and was actually doing 9:20 and my heart rate stayed relatively low. So I'm mixing it up a lot more and, I think, seeing results. I'm not in the same league as most of you, but the cool thing about running is comparisons with others are unnecessary to feel great about personal improvement.

It helped today that it was looking very Christmasy (for California, that is): temps in the mid-50s, a bit foggy, hills turning green, the sidewalks still wet from an overnight rain.... I changed my running mix to all-Christmas songs that had me smiling and wishing Merry Christmas to others as I jogged along.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Contrary to my usual belief that it's best to push it pretty hard every time out, taking it slow on some runs is actually beneficial. On a recent 6 mile run, I slowed down to a 10:30 pace and felt great. Interestingly, three days later I ran what I thought was my usual pace (9:25/mile or so) for 3.5 miles and discovered I was actually doing 8:40, much better than my usual. Today I took it easy again, this time over five miles, thinking I was at 10+/mile and was actually doing 9:20 and my heart rate stayed relatively low. So I'm mixing it up a lot more and, I think, seeing results. I'm not in the same league as most of you, but the cool thing about running is comparisons with others are unnecessary to feel great about personal improvement.

It helped today that it was looking very Christmasy (for California, that is): temps in the mid-50s, a bit foggy, hills turning green, the sidewalks still wet from an overnight rain.... I changed my running mix to all-Christmas songs that had me smiling and wishing Merry Christmas to others as I jogged along.
      I noticed this as well. I've done a couple "distance" run after getting advice from this thread. I even went over 5 miles one day at a 9:40ish pace, which is a toned-down pace for me. It was a joyful run.

Last night I did a 5k and wanted to tone it down as well. I went out at a decent pace, hard enough to not hold a conversation but not too hard. My first mile was around 8:20, second mile around 8:45 and last mile was around 7:45. That's a huge improvement over the past couple weeks and I wasn't even pushing it like crazy. In fact, just one month ago I did 3 miles and struggled to get my mile splits under 9:20.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
        I noticed this as well. I've done a couple "distance" run after getting advice from this thread. I even went over 5 miles one day at a 9:40ish pace, which is a toned-down pace for me. It was a joyful run.

Last night I did a 5k and wanted to tone it down as well. I went out at a decent pace, hard enough to not hold a conversation but not too hard. My first mile was around 8:20, second mile around 8:45 and last mile was around 7:45. That's a huge improvement over the past couple weeks and I wasn't even pushing it like crazy. In fact, just one month ago I did 3 miles and struggled to get my mile splits under 9:20.
        I suspect that you are also seeing gains from consistent workouts - didnt you say that you just started running again?
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Running in the snow is awesome.

If the snow is deep enough it is almost like running in sand. And if it is slick at all, you spend a lot of time with a tight core to maintain stability. It is almost like an full body workout!

Comment

When you speed up while running, what changes do you make?

I remember reading somewhere (not necessarily anywhere credible, just somewhere) that to run faster you don't have to increase your running cadence, just lengthen your stride.

In reading "Born to Run", the author basically says that you should take short steps and increase your cadence to speed up.

I've normally just lengthened my stride - which does lead me to heel strike much more. Normally I strike mid-foot.

So the past couple of weeks I've tried keeping my stride the same and uncreasing my cadence - just to see how it feels different, if I'm more tired, etc.

I have to say - I'm not sure I notice much difference.

Just curious what others do when they want to go faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              When you speed up while running, what changes do you make?

I remember reading somewhere (not necessarily anywhere credible, just somewhere) that to run faster you don't have to increase your running cadence, just lengthen your stride.

In reading "Born to Run", the author basically says that you should take short steps and increase your cadence to speed up.

I've normally just lengthened my stride - which does lead me to heel strike much more. Normally I strike mid-foot.

So the past couple of weeks I've tried keeping my stride the same and uncreasing my cadence - just to see how it feels different, if I'm more tired, etc.

I have to say - I'm not sure I notice much difference.

Just curious what others do when they want to go faster.
              What little coaching I've had gave me the same instruction: you lengthen your stride but the cadence stays the same. This is what I try to do now - I keep my cadence at about 80 per minute but I lengthen my stride to go faster. It keeps my form when I am cruising.

I think I'm about to have another speed breakthrough. I was running at what I thought was a 7:30 pace this am and looked down at my watch to see it was really a 6:50. And then again I was trying to run at a 6:30 but was really at a 5:40. And then I cruised at a 6:30 for half a mile and it felt easy as can be. (I'm doing my last speedy workouts before the race - trying to add in some shorter hard stuff because of time constraints).

Edit: I just reread your post. Lengthen your stride backwards instead of forwards. Don't reach out farther. Push back farther. Make your glutes really get into it. Well, not really your glutes but you know what I mean. This one bit of advice has really helped me keep my form and midfootish strike at higher speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                I suspect that you are also seeing gains from consistent workouts - didnt you say that you just started running again?
                That's probably the biggest reason for the jump, although these two runs I mentioned were about 2 weeks apart. The jump in time was probably a combination of more training, running the slower time in the morning (which I typically don't do), and just the fact that some days are better than others.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I've found my first actual race: The Piney Woods 5K!

I wanted to run the 5K that is done in conjunction with the Houston Marathon but it is held on Sunday so that is a nogo for me. The Piney Woods one looks very small and is a trail run. Should be fun. I've set my goal time at 25 minutes, which would be 20 seconds faster than my "individual 5K" I ran last week and a full minute faster than my wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                    I've found my first actual race: The Piney Woods 5K!

I wanted to run the 5K that is done in conjunction with the Houston Marathon but it is held on Sunday so that is a nogo for me. The Piney Woods one looks very small and is a trail run. Should be fun. I've set my goal time at 25 minutes, which would be 20 seconds faster than my "individual 5K" I ran last week and a full minute faster than my wife!
                    That race looks awesome - I camp all the time in that park. I may do the 5k too - it's a month from my marathon so I may have recovered by then.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      What little coaching I've had gave me the same instruction: you lengthen your stride but the cadence stays the same. This is what I try to do now - I keep my cadence at about 80 per minute but I lengthen my stride to go faster. It keeps my form when I am cruising.

I think I'm about to have another speed breakthrough. I was running at what I thought was a 7:30 pace this am and looked down at my watch to see it was really a 6:50. And then again I was trying to run at a 6:30 but was really at a 5:40. And then I cruised at a 6:30 for half a mile and it felt easy as can be. (I'm doing my last speedy workouts before the race - trying to add in some shorter hard stuff because of time constraints).

Edit: I just reread your post. Lengthen your stride backwards instead of forwards. Don't reach out farther. Push back farther. Make your glutes really get into it. Well, not really your glutes but you know what I mean. This one bit of advice has really helped me keep my form and midfootish strike at higher speeds.
                      I have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to form - aside from trying not to run with a tight fist and trying to keep my hands down around my waist. I just go with whatever feels comfortable.

I'm going to have to try pushing back instead of pushing forward - thanks for the advice. I suppose I should start thinking about form while I'm still in the beginning (read - low mileage) stages of building up for the training schedule.

Congrats on the speed - sounds incredible. I took a 2-3 weeks off with a sore foot at the end of last month, but I'm hoping to get it feeling better so that I can work more speed into my workouts. Right now I just don't want to push it. I have to admit to being a little jealous. I think I can maintain a 7:30 pace over the course of a 5K now, but I wouldn't be able to do 6:30 for more than about a mile. And then I'd be done.

I haven't looked at my old runs on the 305 or connected to the computer for a while, but I love the fact that I can look historically at what pace I was running 6 months ago compared to now. I might just have to hook it up...

Comment

• I debated about posting this, but I want all y'all to know that you are inspiring.

Tuesday, I decided to time my run/walk. The time was glacial by most of your standards, but it was the fastest I've covered 6 miles since I started walking - 1:01:31. I didn't take splits. I walked 1/4 mile than jogged about 5 and walked the rest. I also walked a mile that was not timed to cool off - actually it was a stroll. That is also the longest continious run I've done since starting.

My new goal is to cover it under an hour.

When I time my self, the walk/run days are normally about 1:06 - 1:11 for 6 miles, depending on how much I run and between 1:18 - 1:21 when I just walk

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                          I debated about posting this, but I want all y'all to know that you are inspiring.

Tuesday, I decided to time my run/walk. The time was glacial by most of your standards, but it was the fastest I've covered 6 miles since I started walking - 1:01:31. I didn't take splits. I walked 1/4 mile than jogged about 5 and walked the rest. I also walked a mile that was not timed to cool off - actually it was a stroll. That is also the longest continious run I've done since starting.

My new goal is to cover it under an hour.

When I time my self, the walk/run days are normally about 1:06 - 1:11 for 6 miles, depending on how much I run and between 1:18 - 1:21 when I just walk
                          That's some fast walking!

Congrats on going 6 miles and doing it pretty fast for walking/running, about 10:15 splits. My long runs gernerally only have 9:15ish splits. Not that I'm the best indicator of speed, but still very impressive.

Comment

• Outstanding, happyone. Well done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                              That's some fast walking!...
                              Yea it is, I've actually passed a jogger once. To be fair, I was just starting and from the looks of him he was just about done. I think it embarassed him, because he sped up and passed me back and then turned off at the next corner.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                                Yea it is, I've actually passed a jogger once. To be fair, I was just starting and from the looks of him he was just about done. I think it embarassed him, because he sped up and passed me back and then turned off at the next corner.
                                I still don't know how we have any prejudice at all against a man who moves at that speed. I don't care if he is running, walking or crawling. I can't walk that fast, at any rate!

Comment

Working...
                                X