Snake bites - prep question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cowboy
    Homer Weems
    • Dec 2008
    • 5740

    #1

    Snake bites - prep question

    I run in the hills a lot, and there are lots of rattlesnakes. I've come close to them several times, though I've never had one strike at me. This time of year is especially bad for snake strikes, and I've been wondering what I can do to reduce my risk.

    Obviously, I know all of the 'where and where not to run' tips, as well as time of day tips. I'm more looking for advice on what to do if I'm struck while running, and what, if any, snake bite kits are available, etc. Anyone?
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924
  • CJF
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8497

    #2
    Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    I run in the hills a lot, and there are lots of rattlesnakes. I've come close to them several times, though I've never had one strike at me. This time of year is especially bad for snake strikes, and I've been wondering what I can do to reduce my risk.

    Obviously, I know all of the 'where and where not to run' tips, as well as time of day tips. I'm more looking for advice on what to do if I'm struck while running, and what, if any, snake bite kits are available, etc. Anyone?
    I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but buy a treadmill.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

    Comment

    • Uncle Ted
      The Big 12 money shot.
      • Apr 2010
      • 28853

      #3
      Get ya a Rick Perry 'Coyote Special' with the optional laser sight...


      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • Green Lantern
        Has overcome great fear
        • Aug 2009
        • 2289

        #4
        Shin guards? LOL. I don't know but I'm interested to hear answers. I only come across them mountain biking so I always figure they can't catch me. Which is kind of stupid since I'm the world's slowest mountain biker.
        Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

        None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

        I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

        --Portland Ute

        Comment

        • bluegoose
          7th round draft pick
          • Nov 2008
          • 4121

          #5
          I'm far from qualified to answer this question, especially since we have an ER guy somewhere around here, but since when did being underqualified keep any of us from answering?

          I believe that the current recommendation is steering away from snake bite kits. As I understand it, your main thing is to get your butt into the ER ASAP. I think washing it out with soap and water are okay, but if you are out on a trail run, this is a moot point. No more tourniquets, ice or suction devices, just get in as soon as you can.

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #6
            Is running in these out of the question?

            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            Working...