First race this year!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #1

    First race this year!

    And by this year, I mean running year (last running year having ended with my January marathon semi-disaster).

    Tomorrow is the anniversary of my 9 mile breakthrough where I almost died from dehydration and thereby felt like a man again. To celebrate, I signed up for a local 10k (I wanted to run one in March but was still injured ).

    This is my first timed official 10k ever. Any thoughts on what I should make my goal?

    My fastest informal 10k is 47:16 last August (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10870845). I was fried after that.

    My last run of around 10k was easy and leisurely (more or less- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30317588).

    Any thoughts on pacing based on that? This is my first real "mid" race - I know how to pace myself for a 5k and for a marathon, but I have no real clue on a 10k.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12371

    #2
    I would go like 10 seconds slower than your 5k pace. That would be about right for me. Ok maybe 15. Good luck. I love having actual races. It gets my intestines churning. The local running store had a race series this winter that was 10 bucks race or 50 for every race. It was one race a month, starting with a 5k, 5k, 10k, 10k, 15k, 1/2 marathon. It was fun to get out there and have something to keep me motivated.

    I got 4th in the 1/2 marathon. Still my claim to fame.

    Comment

    • Pheidippides
      Liberal Feminazi
      • Nov 2008
      • 14759

      #3
      Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      I would go like 10 seconds slower than your 5k pace. That would be about right for me. Ok maybe 15. Good luck. I love having actual races. It gets my intestines churning. The local running store had a race series this winter that was 10 bucks race or 50 for every race. It was one race a month, starting with a 5k, 5k, 10k, 10k, 15k, 1/2 marathon. It was fun to get out there and have something to keep me motivated.

      I got 4th in the 1/2 marathon. Still my claim to fame.
      That's a great idea (other than the fact I hate 5ks - I'm more comfortable with longer runs). The local running organization here has the same sort of a setup, to a degree, and I'm joining up as soon as the new running years starts (June 30 here - the summer months are like the winter months elsewhere, with no races).

      You are faster than me by a good bit, though, so I wonder if I should drop it a few more seconds. Maybe go 20 seconds slower. I'm not quite in the shape I was last October in terms of speed, after taking two months off to rehab (last week was my first 20 mile week all year).
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

      Comment

      Working...