A request for info about running shoes...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #1

    A request for info about running shoes...

    my oldest boy informed me that next year when he's in high school he wants to spend the fall as a member of the cross country team. I say good for him if it's what he wants to do.

    Anyway, my question is what do I need to know about getting him a good pair of shoes? He's more concerned about style, while I'm more concerned about comfort and quality. (His idea about style is a pair of Vans skating shoes). I told him that it would be a good idea to start running now - he's never done distance running before, just sprints - so he can build up endurance and be in shape for the cross country season. He's agreed and now we need to get him some shoes.

    Suggestions? I don't mind spending the money if it's going to be worth it, which I suppose is a good thing for running.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
  • Coach McGuirk
    1
    • Nov 2008
    • 12109

    #2
    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    my oldest boy informed me that next year when he's in high school he wants to spend the fall as a member of the cross country team. I say good for him if it's what he wants to do.

    Anyway, my question is what do I need to know about getting him a good pair of shoes? He's more concerned about style, while I'm more concerned about comfort and quality. (His idea about style is a pair of Vans skating shoes). I told him that it would be a good idea to start running now - he's never done distance running before, just sprints - so he can build up endurance and be in shape for the cross country season. He's agreed and now we need to get him some shoes.

    Suggestions? I don't mind spending the money if it's going to be worth it, which I suppose is a good thing for running.

    Go to a running store. I go to runners corner here in the UT Co, but I am sure you have something similar around you. The goods ones will watch you run, determine your gate and recommend shoes based on that and not by brand at all. Obviously his feeling about which shoe feels best and looks best is going to be in that final decision, but good shoe stores will do what they can to point you in the right direction.

    Comment

    • Slim
      Straight Out the Trailer
      • Jul 2009
      • 1007

      #3
      When I used to wear normal running shoes my very favorite brand was Saucony. They make a really solid running shoe but no one has ever heard of them so your kid might not like them.

      I use vibrams now but they probably aren't a good idea for a high school kid to try to use.

      Also I think you are right that he might want to get a few miles in before trying to run with the team. It can be absolutely overwhelming for some kids to try and put in the miles a XC team does right from the getgo.

      Comment

      • beelzebabette
        Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
        • Nov 2008
        • 2907

        #4
        Originally posted by Slim View Post
        When I used to wear normal running shoes my very favorite brand was Saucony. They make a really solid running shoe but no one has ever heard of them so your kid might not like them.
        You're smoking crack.

        I'm just chiming in to confirm what Coach said. I took my brother to Wasatch Running when he wanted to get into running, and I really like their shoe-fitting process. Plus, they'll exchange your shoe if you don't like it in the first month--though there may be a treadmill caveat on that. I've heard good things about Salt Lake Running Company as well.

        Comment

        • Slim
          Straight Out the Trailer
          • Jul 2009
          • 1007

          #5
          Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
          You're smoking crack.
          I'm just chiming in to confirm what Coach said. I took my brother to Wasatch Running when he wanted to get into running, and I really like their shoe-fitting process. Plus, they'll exchange your shoe if you don't like it in the first month--though there may be a treadmill caveat on that. I've heard good things about Salt Lake Running Company as well.
          Okay... High school kids who are not runners have never heard of them.

          Comment

          • SteelBlue
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 8190

            #6
            I'm a Brooks guy. I figure this can bring nothing but luck to an Orioles fan.

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #7
              I have to disagree a little. Keep in mind that this is a very controversial subject, but I'm pretty firmly in the minimalist shoe running camp. More and more studies are finding that corrective shoes are causing injuries by allowing runners to continue with bad form. There's really good research on this all over the place now. Here's a recent study just as an example: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0104122310.htm

              I could give you 10-20 more quality studies that support this.

              I can see a place for corrective shoes as a bridge for a lifelong runner who needs to unlearn some bad habits, but with a new runner, especially a young one who's likely of a normal weight, I'd go into a running store and ask for racing flats. They're lighter, quicker, cheaper, and won't let him learn bad running habits. Don't worry about putting him on a treadmill. They'll probably really want to talk you into supportive shoes because they're more expensive, but I wouldn't let them.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • ewth8tr
                Reverend of Irreverence
                • Nov 2008
                • 2347

                #8
                Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                my oldest boy informed me that next year when he's in high school he wants to spend the fall as a member of the cross country team. I say good for him if it's what he wants to do.

                Anyway, my question is what do I need to know about getting him a good pair of shoes? He's more concerned about style, while I'm more concerned about comfort and quality. (His idea about style is a pair of Vans skating shoes). I told him that it would be a good idea to start running now - he's never done distance running before, just sprints - so he can build up endurance and be in shape for the cross country season. He's agreed and now we need to get him some shoes.

                Suggestions? I don't mind spending the money if it's going to be worth it, which I suppose is a good thing for running.
                Take him over to Salt Lake Running Company, they just opened a store on 7th east right off I80 (old Riverton Music building). They will watch him run on a treadmill and recommend the right shoes for him. All of the people working there are runners also, so they also have a lot of great advice.
                "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

                Comment

                Working...