Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

I approve. What resorts did you ski last season/would you ski next season?
    We spent spring break at Brian Head and had a blast. Our closest spot will be Big Bear in SoCal, but we are planning to also get up to June Mountain/Mammoth, Palisades Tahoe, and perhaps the SLC area.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post

We spent spring break at Brian Head and had a blast. Our closest spot will be Big Bear in SoCal, but we are planning to also get up to June Mountain/Mammoth, Palisades Tahoe, and perhaps the SLC area.
      Yay Mammoth!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

Yay Mammoth!
        I started checking it out based on your recommendation. We’re excited to give it a try. June bills itself as kid-friendly, and that’s what we’re looking for. Mammoth looks to be close enough to where we could spend a day there without having to change lodging.

I am planting some seeds at home that we may enjoy being closer to Mammoth, Yosemite, Tahoe, etc. Maybe they’ll sprout someday.

Comment

• We bought our Bogus Basin season passes last month, I bought new skis (Volkyl Mantra), bindings, coat, and all the kids tried on old gear to see what we need before the snow flies. I'm going to get a new pair of boots as well. We're excited!

We haven't had season passes since before covid and I'm hoping to go night skiing every Friday night and plenty of Saturdays. We have a lot of ski time to make up for.

Anybody here into Alpine touring? I've been a resort skier my whole life and I'm getting interested in backcountry stuff. I think the boots I'm going to get will be hybrid alpine/touring, and then sometime soon I'll get powder skis with hybrid bindings (like the Solomon Shift or Marker Duke PT). These hybrid bindings provide solid DIN bindings for downhill but Tech bindings for climbing.
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post

I started checking it out based on your recommendation. We’re excited to give it a try. June bills itself as kid-friendly, and that’s what we’re looking for. Mammoth looks to be close enough to where we could spend a day there without having to change lodging.

I am planting some seeds at home that we may enjoy being closer to Mammoth, Yosemite, Tahoe, etc. Maybe they’ll sprout someday.
            June is great for kids and learning. That is where we used to take the scouts to learn.

Comment

• We bought a couple of Mountain Collective passes for this coming winter, two days at Targhee, Big Sky, Jackson Hole, Snowbasin, Sun Valley and Snowbird. I upgraded my skis and boots and looking forward to a season of alpine skiing. We've been doing the skinny skis for a few years now and decided to try a winter of this. I skied a lot growing up and in college but backed off of it once I got married so I'm looking forward to this winter for a change.

Comment

• New bindings just arrived.

20220830_183506.jpg
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                  New bindings just arrived.

20220830_183506.jpg
                  Hope they work well for you.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I took my youngest three to Big Bear today for opening day. So fun.

Comment

• We took our whole family of six yesterday, including our recently turned three-year-old. He skis by way of a harness, with an experienced skier dragging behind him. That’s a leg workout for you.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• I skied a lot in the 70's and 80's - K2's and Tyrolia 360's - has equipment changed (improved) since that time. Is modern equipment that much better than the old days?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          I skied a lot in the 70's and 80's - K2's and Tyrolia 360's - has equipment changed (improved) since that time. Is modern equipment that much better than the old days?
                          They’ll tell you yes.

the real answer is, not really, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

They’ll tell you yes.

the real answer is, not really, no.
                            That's interesting - because at the time I couldn't have been any happier with my equipment. I know stuff wears out - but the new stuff I had back then was very expensive and very useable and I had a lot of fun with my equipment.

I guess it's like golf clubs - Ping Eye 2's from the 80's are still great clubs to play if the grooves are still grabby. Drivers are better though - but the truth is in the numbers - modern clubs haven't changed my scores - and I could probably play with the same clubs from the 80s and score just as well. My driver and 3 wood in the 80's was a Yonex graphite head and shaft - and I could hit those farther than I can with the good stuff today.

I have played the same course for 45 years - so I have a history of knowing where I used to hit my drives - I was longer back then by a long shot - than I am now with a $5oo driver.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                              I skied a lot in the 70's and 80's - K2's and Tyrolia 360's - has equipment changed (improved) since that time. Is modern equipment that much better than the old days?
                              I've got to disagree with AA on this one, the new stuff makes a huge difference. Back in high school I skied on 203 Rossignols and they tracked great going fast on the groomed stuff but it was work in the crude. The new wider skis turn so much easier and are great in the powder and crude but you need to be turning because they don't track as well, little squirrely. Golfer comparison would be going from a set of 70's Haig Ultra irons to a new set of TaylorMade Stealth irons, night and day.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

I've got to disagree with AA on this one, the new stuff makes a huge difference. Back in high school I skied on 203 Rossignols and they tracked great going fast on the groomed stuff but it was work in the crude. The new wider skis turn so much easier and are great in the powder and crude but you need to be turning because they don't track as well, little squirrely. Golfer comparison would be going from a set of 70's Haig Ultra irons to a new set of TaylorMade Stealth irons, night and day.
                                I may not be good enough for it to matter.

same with golf. You can give me the latest space-age-tech driver and I’m still going to slice it into the lake.

Comment

Working...
                                X