Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I never mentioned that in the end I went to Alta the last friday of March. It had snowed about a foot up there the night before it was quite possibly the greatest spiritual experience of my existence. I now know why Alta has so many groupies. It makes Park City, Sun Valley, Solitude and Pomerelle Mtn Resort look like poo.

To quote Kurt Cobain..."in a daze cuz I found God yahahah!"

Two of my daughters keep threatening me that they are going to snowboard next year so perhaps my spirituality will have to be found at the new and improved Snowbird Resort.
    It will not. Alta is mecca.

I saw a great bumper sticker this season, never saw one like it previously. It had the Alta snowflake logo in the center and around it in circular formation, the words ALTAHOLICS ANONYMOUS.

Count me as one of the addicted.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

I saw a great bumper sticker this season, never saw one like it previously. It had the Alta snowflake logo in the center and around it in circular formation, the words ALTAHOLICS ANONYMOUS.

Count me as one of the addicted.
      Amen.

My father-in-law flies down to Utah at least once a month all winter long just to ski a few days at Alta. If I ever move to Utah, it would be for the skiing. I really like living in Boise, but the mountains around here are indeed poo in comparison.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
        Amen.

My father-in-law flies down to Utah at least once a month all winter long just to ski a few days at Alta. If I ever move to Utah, it would be for the skiing. I really like living in Boise, but the mountains around here are indeed poo in comparison.
        I like Brundage, but it is far enough away from Boise that it isn't a real good day trip destination. I understand Bogus sucks real bad. However, there is nothing that compares to Alta. Nada. Zilch. Nyet. Best place to ski on earth.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Teton Village/Jackson Hole on a bluebird champaign powder day* kills anything in Utah. Just my .02.

*mind you those aren't too common since Targhee steals all the snow usually.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
            Teton Village/Jackson Hole on a bluebird champaign powder day* kills anything in Utah. Just my .02.

I wouldn't say "kills" but I agree that if Teton Village got regular snow, it would be the best place to ski. Even as it is, it's my 2nd favorite place after Alta.
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
              I wouldn't say "kills" but I agree that if Teton Village got regular snow, it would be the best place to ski. Even as it is, it's my 2nd favorite place after Alta.
              The reason I went with "kills" is because that Wyoming champagne powder is still head and shoulders above what Utah has, as amazing as it is. Teton Village is frequently covered sparsely, but still has that insane vertical to keep you gasping for air halfway through the tram run. When it gets dumped on, I say it's Heaven on Earth.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• PCMR loses it's lawsuit against Talisker. May not be in operation this winter. Perhaps Ian Cumming saw the writing on the wall and started looking for another ski property, taking ownership at Snowbird.

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/5...-park.html.csp
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                  I never mentioned that in the end I went to Alta the last friday of March. It had snowed about a foot up there the night before it was quite possibly the greatest spiritual experience of my existence. I now know why Alta has so many groupies. It makes Park City, Sun Valley, Solitude and Pomerelle Mtn Resort look like poo.
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Teton Village/Jackson Hole on a bluebird champaign powder day* kills anything in Utah. Just my .02.

Sun Valley has the best mountain. No where else can you ski 3400 feet of vertical on a perfect slope without running into cat tracks or plateaus. If only they had Targhee snow.

sun-valley-map.jpg

Comment

• Season pass for the family at Alta.

sigpic

Comment

Season pass for the family at Alta.
                      We did Snowbird again this year. We have lockers there, which is nice. I may do the combined next year. Now that my kids are all over 6 they don't ski for free anymore. I'm getting excited. I bought some Armada JJ last year for my son. I think he may have already outgrown them and they don't have bindings yet.
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        Sun Valley has the best mountain. No where else can you ski 3400 feet of vertical on a perfect slope without running into cat tracks or plateaus. If only they had Targhee snow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4288[/ATTACH]
                        I might be the only Idahoan who hasn't done Sun Valley. I have decided to not waste my time and $ riding in AZ anymore. I'm going to strictly plan multiple day vacations to Whistler or CO or places I've never been as long as I'm acting all desperate to snowboard.

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                          We did Snowbird again this year. We have lockers there, which is nice. I may do the combined next year. Now that my kids are all over 6 they don't ski for free anymore. I'm getting excited. I bought some Armada JJ last year for my son. I think he may have already outgrown them and they don't have bindings yet.
                          I'm getting my hopes up that this unseasonably wet summer is a harbinger of things to come. I like Alta's family plan. I paid around $130 per Puffy for an all-access, no blackout. For adults, i went the gold pass option....base price of around $150 each. Then, every time I go, I pay 50% off. On days when I ski with my kids, it will cost me $20 for all day on the left side of the hill. For days with my wife or just me, $40. Prices just went up last week but at my rates, i will definitely wind up saving cash for a family of 5. Since they are regular season passes, I never have to go to the window for a ticket, either. Straight to the lift. thank goodness. Should be a fun winter. One huge benefit is being closer to my house. it really saves time as opposed to heading a bit further up to Big or all the way up and around Parleys.

sigpic

Comment

Season pass for the family at Alta.
                            Season pass for the family at Bogus Basin.

It's funny what Commando says about Sun Valley--except for my time at BYU, my mission, and 18 months in WA, I have always lived within ~2.5 hrs of SV. However, I have only skied there once. We always chose to go to Targhee, Jackson, or Alta.

Comment

I'm getting my hopes up that this unseasonably wet summer is a harbinger of things to come. I like Alta's family plan. I paid around $130 per Puffy for an all-access, no blackout. For adults, i went the gold pass option....base price of around $150 each. Then, every time I go, I pay 50% off. On days when I ski with my kids, it will cost me $20 for all day on the left side of the hill. For days with my wife or just me, $40. Prices just went up last week but at my rates, i will definitely wind up saving cash for a family of 5. Since they are regular season passes, I never have to go to the window for a ticket, either. Straight to the lift. thank goodness. Should be a fun winter. One huge benefit is being closer to my house. it really saves time as opposed to heading a bit further up to Big or all the way up and around Parleys.
                              Viva El Nino!

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                I might be the only Idahoan who hasn't done Sun Valley. I have decided to not waste my time and $ riding in AZ anymore. I'm going to strictly plan multiple day vacations to Whistler or CO or places I've never been as long as I'm acting all desperate to snowboard.
                                When Sun Valley has real snow it is superb. However, I haven't seen real snow at SV during Christmas break since 2009. This year for Christmas break we are heading to Northstar where I figure the real snow will be plentiful (viva El Nino) but likely not significantly better than the Sun Valley fakey stuff.

However, even with real snow it, Sun Valley, comes about as close to holding Alta's jock as Austin Collie comes to holding JimboM'F'NMcMahon's!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X