Exercise equipment at home

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #46
    Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    This right here is why Crossfit is actually a wonderful thing. Before the rise of Crossfit, the home gym market was dreadful. I think I payed about the same amount for my very mediocre Parabody rack in 2004 as you can buy a Rogue R-3 today.
    Yes. It's amazing at all the options available these days. I search gov auctions for equipment and have alerts set for Facebook marketplace and Craigslist for certain items I'm looking for. I've actually flipped quite a bit of gym equipment. I picked up a Concept2 rower for $300 and sold it for $600. My best flip was a Landice L7 treadmill I got for $30 and sold for $500. Right now I'm on the hunt for more York milled plates and Ivanko revolvers. Once I have everything I want I will sell all my York Quad Grips. I also want a decent lat machine, GHD and reverse hyper.

    Bo if you can hold off until next month, there are a lot of Black Friday deals. Rogue usually runs deals on shipping which is a killer for big pieces of equipment that has to be shipped freight. Other retailers offer steep discounts and shipping deals as well.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • Bo Diddley
      Senior
      • Jul 2012
      • 18801

      #47
      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      Bo if you can hold off until next month, there are a lot of Black Friday deals. Rogue usually runs deals on shipping which is a killer for big pieces of equipment that has to be shipped freight. Other retailers offer steep discounts and shipping deals as well.
      Thanks for the heads up. Those Rogue racks look really nice. Right now I'm looking hard at one of those Titan racks.

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #48
        IMG_20181003_203854.jpg

        Thought I'd post a pic of my setup right after I moved everything around and to give you a pic of my rack. My deadlift platform used to be in front of my rack. I have the multigrip pull-up bar. A couple vertical bar holders, sandwich cups, landmine, and flip down safeties. I like these a lot better than the pin pipe safeties because they have UHMW plastic to protect the knurling on my bars. Titan had a recall on their safety straps last year and just released an updated version. Once they've been reviewed by others I will probably pick them up as well.

        If you're eyeing the Titan racks, be sure to get the V2 version. Much better quality (aesthetic) and they added hole spacing for more versatility of attachments.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • Bo Diddley
          Senior
          • Jul 2012
          • 18801

          #49
          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          If you're eyeing the Titan racks, be sure to get the V2 version. Much better quality (aesthetic) and they added hole spacing for more versatility of attachments.
          Nice! You've got a lot of space there.

          Definitely V2. I realized with 96 inches to work with, I probably need to go with the short rack. How much of a difference is 36" of depth over 24"? At 6'2", I feel like I'd need the bigger one.

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #50
            Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            Nice! You've got a lot of space there.

            Definitely V2. I realized with 96 inches to work with, I probably need to go with the short rack. How much of a difference is 36" of depth over 24"? At 6'2", I feel like I'd need the bigger one.
            Benching inside a 24" rack is fine. Though you probably won't be able to have any plate storage. Squatting inside a rack that small makes me feel a bit claustrophobic. If I could only fit a 24" rack into my space I'd consider a heavy duty half rack with spotter arms. As you can see space isn't an issue for me. And I'm fortunate to have such a tall basement.

            This is more than sufficient for me now. If I come across a decent deal I may upgrade to a 3x3 rack. The Rogue RML690 is what I'd probably get. Or maybe an EliteFTS college rack. Sorinex are beautiful but I'm not ready to sell a kidney. But I have zero complaints about my T6. Granted I also haven't had any QA issues others have experienced. Most of those are receiving wrong or missing parts. Guess I've been lucky.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • Bo Diddley
              Senior
              • Jul 2012
              • 18801

              #51
              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              Benching inside a 24" rack is fine. Though you probably won't be able to have any plate storage. Squatting inside a rack that small makes me feel a bit claustrophobic. If I could only fit a 24" rack into my space I'd consider a heavy duty half rack with spotter arms. As you can see space isn't an issue for me. And I'm fortunate to have such a tall basement.
              Squatting is what I'm thinking specifically about.

              This is more than sufficient for me now. If I come across a decent deal I may upgrade to a 3x3 rack. The Rogue RML690 is what I'd probably get. Or maybe an EliteFTS college rack. Sorinex are beautiful but I'm not ready to sell a kidney. But I have zero complaints about my T6. Granted I also haven't had any QA issues others have experienced. Most of those are receiving wrong or missing parts. Guess I've been lucky.
              That's a minor inconvenience, so doesn't move the needle for me. How everything works once it's all set-up--that's what I'm looking for.

              Comment

              • pelagius
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 5288

                #52
                For what is worth, squatting in 24in racks is fine for me. I think 30" or 36" racks look better aesthetically. And if you have large depths like 36" or 48" you can basically permanently have your bench setup (off the front of the rack using spotting arms) and your squat setup (inside the rack).

                Comment

                • Bo Diddley
                  Senior
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 18801

                  #53
                  Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                  For what is worth, squatting in 24in racks is fine for me. I think 30" or 36" racks look better aesthetically. And if you have large depths like 36" or 48" you can basically permanently have your bench setup (off the front of the rack using spotting arms) and your squat setup (inside the rack).
                  The size of the room I'm going to use is 9'9" x 10'4". So it's a tight squeeze, especially if I want keep a desk on the one end of the room. I could potentially place the desk in the closet, if needed.

                  Comment

                  • Surfah
                    Where's Wallace?
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 33726

                    #54
                    Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                    For what is worth, squatting in 24in racks is fine for me. I think 30" or 36" racks look better aesthetically. And if you have large depths like 36" or 48" you can basically permanently have your bench setup (off the front of the rack using spotting arms) and your squat setup (inside the rack).
                    I bought some equipment off a guy who had a T6 like I do. He had an awesome garage gym. In the 36" section he had monolift arms set up for bench and a set inside the 24" for squatting. I'd love a similar setup for convenience, but my wife lifts so I can't really do that. I just bought extra J cups for that.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • amiraL
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2018
                      • 6

                      #55
                      I love to work with trade mile. its little bit comfortable for me

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69716

                        #56
                        Originally posted by amiraL View Post
                        I love to work with trade mile. its little bit comfortable for me
                        Haha. That one took me a minute.

                        Keep this up and I might forget about bestellen.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Bo Diddley
                          Senior
                          • Jul 2012
                          • 18801

                          #57
                          So I ended up buying a Titan T3 V2 24" full height power cage along with an additional set of spotter arms so I can have both my squat and bench set up. I also bought a 300 pound Cap weight set. I'll have to upgrade my bar eventually, and get a couple of good bars, and probably some bumper weights. At that point I'll probably also upgrade to safety straps inside the cage rather than those metal bars.

                          I ripped out the carpet, added 3/4" plywood, installed the power cage, and then put down the rubber floor. It's the cheap evo foam stuff. I plan to buy the hard rubber rolls later as another upgrade. This will get me started with what I need to do.

                          It came with a good adjustable bench and four band pegs. I think I need a wide-angle lens to do it justice. I could probably fit a foldable treadmill in there, but not much else. The desk is in the closet now.

                          Power Cage.jpg

                          Comment

                          • Joe Public
                            8.1 YPC
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 8530

                            #58
                            That looks nice. Where do you keep the 40-lb. kettle bells?
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                            "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                            Comment

                            • Bo Diddley
                              Senior
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 18801

                              #59
                              Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                              That looks nice. Where do you keep the 40-lb. kettle bells?
                              Or the 90# sled, right?

                              Comment

                              • Surfah
                                Where's Wallace?
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 33726

                                #60
                                Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                Or the 90# sled, right?
                                Nice set up. Is it difficult to get plates on and off there? Looks a bit tight on the right side.

                                BTW, I've got a Rogue sled. Never used. Been trying to sell it for a month.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...