Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the doctors (or anyone who stayed at a Holiday Inn) [re: chest pain]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the doctors (or anyone who stayed at a Holiday Inn) [re: chest pain]

I was playing basketball on Saturday and a guy bigger than me by about 8 inches and 100 pounds ran into me just as he dished the ball off. His elbow jabbed me in the chest and I recognized that it was harder than I've been hit in a while, but it wasn't anything too bad.

Since then, I've noticed more pain right where he got me and basically just where he got me. It's not a bruised muscle, I can tell it's under the muscle and I've never felt an awkward pain like this. It wasn't too bad Saturday afternoon, but I still noticed it then and on Sunday. Then I did push ups on Monday morning and it seemed fine, but later in the felt began to feel more aggravated. Now, it hurts/stings to cough, sneeze or when I move my arms in certain ways (no fear, my "funky chicken" has not been affected).

My guess would be a cracked rib, but I really have no clue -- it could be further affirmation that I'm a major wuss for all I know. Any suggestions, thoughts, recommendations for a strong drink to make it all go away?
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
    I was playing basketball on Saturday and a guy bigger than me by about 8 inches and 100 pounds ran into me just as he dished the ball off. His elbow jabbed me in the chest and I recognized that it was harder than I've been hit in a while, but it wasn't anything too bad.

Since then, I've noticed more pain right where he got me and basically just where he got me. It's not a bruised muscle, I can tell it's under the muscle and I've never felt an awkward pain like this. It wasn't too bad Saturday afternoon, but I still noticed it then and on Sunday. Then I did push ups on Monday morning and it seemed fine, but later in the felt began to feel more aggravated. Now, it hurts/stings to cough, sneeze or when I move my arms in certain ways (no fear, my "funky chicken" has not been affected).

My guess would be a cracked rib, but I really have no clue -- it could be further affirmation that I'm a major wuss for all I know. Any suggestions, thoughts, recommendations for a strong drink to make it all go away?

A few questions:

You mentioned coughing/sneezing that would make the pain worse, what about simply taking a deep breath?

Is the pain excruiciating/take your breath away or is it just a brief/sharp pain that grabs you when you move a certain way/sneeze, etc?

You probably have a bruise/contusion of some intercostal muscles, which will take a week or two to go away, or a cracked ribs(less likely) which will take 4-6 weeks for the pain to resolve.

Either way, the best treatment is antiinflammatories like ibuprofen, aleve, naproxen, etc. steady for 2 weeks, then as needed afterwards.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

It is just the brief, sharp pain and I do feel it when I take deep breaths. Thanks for the input, JIC.

Comment

I assume this wasn't me, in our glorious victory over you? I see the excuses are already starting to come out. Go Waxhaw Ward!

I had refrained from mentioning the game to this point out of respect, but since you brought it up . . .

I can think of two possibilities of guys who could have done it, Tim on our team, or Kevin from the previous game. I think Tim has the weight advantage, but Kevin would have been moving faster, so I'm not sure who I would rather get hit by.

I hope you recover by tournament time.
        Last edited by Clark Addison; 02-24-2010, 08:03 AM.

Comment

It is just the brief, sharp pain and I do feel it when I take deep breaths. Thanks for the input, JIC.
          Probably just injury to an intercostal muscle. It probably was CA so you should return the favor in the tournament.
          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I think it was in your game. But I will admit to all that CA did steal the ball from me once, but these are just practice and we take the Allen Iverson approach: "Practice! Whatchu talkin' 'bout practice?!"

If we can get our team there for the tourney, we should be decent, but we played 3 games last week with just 5 or 6 people at each game.

Comment

Just checking to see how you were feeling now?

-Rick Majerus

Comment

It's pretty much gone now. Actually, it went away mostly after a week, but if I have a deep cough or sneeze, I can still feel it a little. I've been using the time to sharpen my elbows for when Clark and I meet again.

(And when we meet someday, the drink's on me. Thanks!)

Comment

I think it was in your game. But I will admit to all that CA did steal the ball from me once, but these are just practice and we take the Allen Iverson approach: "Practice! Whatchu talkin' 'bout practice?!"

If we can get our team there for the tourney, we should be decent, but we played 3 games last week with just 5 or 6 people at each game.
                  If you guys are playing at the stake center tonight, I'll be reffing your game. I hope you are ready to foul out in the first ten minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                    If you guys are playing at the stake center tonight, I'll be reffing your game. I hope you are ready to foul out in the first ten minutes.
                    Wow, I should have read this this morning and been prepared to have Tim Donaghy on the court. I did get called by CA for a phantom foul tonight -- where is justice?!

Comment

Wow, I should have read this this morning and been prepared to have Tim Donaghy on the court. I did get called by CA for a phantom foul tonight -- where is justice?!
                      My strategy is to call fouls on people who I think will not yell at me.

Comment

Whenever there is pain, there is a need for Vicodin. Most doctors will give you some Soma too in case the muscle spasms on you and recommend you wash it down with Vodka or boxed wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rx GATOS View Post
                          Whenever there is pain, there is a need for Vicodin. Most doctors will give you some Soma too in case the muscle spasms on you and recommend you wash it down with Vodka or boxed wine.
                          Soma is the devil.
                          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Working...
                          X