Swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming

I've started swimming again after laying off for a while. I'd forgotten what a good exercise this is. My weight is staying the same but I can tell I've lost a little around my waist. Also I've got a bad knee and it feels better and moves easier after I swim. Honestly if you've got a score back or joints that hurt jump in the water and go for a swim you'll feel better.

My wife swims also. It makes her physically tired but not achey if that makes since. It has done wonders for her asthma also. I wish I had time to swim.

Comment

Originally posted by jxncoog View Post
      My wife swims also. It makes her physically tired but not achey if that makes since. It has done wonders for her asthma also. I wish I had time to swim.
      You've got a wonderful pool over there. After half an hour of swimming I'm fried but like you've said I don't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
        You've got a wonderful pool over there. After half an hour of swimming I'm fried but like you've said I don't hurt.
        Speaking of swimming...
        The last time we visited my SIL in IF, they planned a trip to these "hot springs". I'm thinking that hot springs in the middle of winter sounds kind of cool, this'll be fun.
        Yeah, not so much. Indoors, stinky, filled with people, essentially a large swimming pool that was a little warmer than average, and I'm not entirely convinced that geothermal was the main source of heat. Nasty.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Green Canyon?
          Took our scouts there a few years back, and my son went with the scouts last month. I didn't like it but the boys did.

Comment

I am awful at swimming. I keep thinking I need to just spend time doing it and improve, but it is so frustrating.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              Speaking of swimming...
              The last time we visited my SIL in IF, they planned a trip to these "hot springs". I'm thinking that hot springs in the middle of winter sounds kind of cool, this'll be fun.
              Yeah, not so much. Indoors, stinky, filled with people, essentially a large swimming pool that was a little warmer than average, and I'm not entirely convinced that geothermal was the main source of heat. Nasty.
              jxncoog got the right answer. That would be Green Canyon and it is a breeding ground for germs. Most kids love it until they get sick the next day.

Comment

I thought the place was a little creepy.

Traditionally, our boys camp at Green Canyon the night before Merit Badge PowWow at BYU-I. Sleeping outside after getting out of the pool in November never seemed like a bright idea. My son survived nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  Speaking of swimming...
                  I had also figured this was Green Canyon you were talking about. I grew up going there for ward activities, family outings, even as part of a Girls' Choice Date. That place is definitely heated geothermally. If you try the outside hot tub, it is warmer than the bigger pool. (Disclaimer: I haven't been to Green Canyon for 10 or more years.)

I always liked Heise better because of the waterslide.
                  "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                  "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                  This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                  "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                  "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                    I've started swimming again after laying off for a while. I'd forgotten what a good exercise this is. My weight is staying the same but I can tell I've lost a little around my waist. Also I've got a bad knee and it feels better and moves easier after I swim. Honestly if you've got a score back or joints that hurt jump in the water and go for a swim you'll feel better.
                    I try to get in a good 1.5 to 2 mile swim each week. It is a great workout, but I get bored. I wish Steve Jobs would come up with an underwater iPod.
                    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                    -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                      I had also figured this was Green Canyon you were talking about. I grew up going there for ward activities, family outings, even as part of a Girls' Choice Date. That place is definitely heated geothermally. If you try the outside hot tub, it is warmer than the bigger pool. (Disclaimer: I haven't been to Green Canyon for 10 or more years.)

I always liked Heise better because of the waterslide.
                      Wow. Those two places take me back to summers in Rigby.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

one day I'll have to really dedicate myself to swimming laps as exercise. In all of my prior attempts it's been nothing more than running while holding your breath. I've never been able to do more than a few laps steady. My breath coordination just isn't that great.
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          I am awful at swimming. I keep thinking I need to just spend time doing it and improve, but it is so frustrating.
                          If only you had the nicest lap pool I've ever seen, then maybe you'd learn to like swimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Ghost
                            I use the SwiMP3. I love it. I've been listening to audio books lately instead of music. It's very nice.

A mutual friend of Lebowski and myself uses a waterproof case for his iPod shuffle by h20audio that he calls "swimming in heaven". I don't think I could do the headphones... the bone conduction thing with the SwiMP3 is nice because it is so unobtrusive.

cheers.
                            I'm still trying to figure out what the SwiMP3 and the World Rally Championships have in common.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Bone Conduction would be a kick ass name for a band.
                              There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                              Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                              And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Working...
                              X