I'm running in the 5K scholarship run

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BoylenOver
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 9146

    #1

    I'm running in the 5K scholarship run

    for the U Saturday.

    I haven't exactly trained that hard, but I have run a few times in the last two weeks, and my goal is to finish in 30 minutes.

    The difference I had in energy and drive between the first and second attempts at running the 3.1 miles last week was immense. And had the power not gone out at the gym last night, I probably would've finished in 30 minutes.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute
  • Mr Incredible
    Faded Pre-Madonna
    • Nov 2008
    • 826

    #2
    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
    [H]ad the power not gone out at the gym last night, I probably would've finished in 30 minutes.
    You can run outside...
    This space is available.

    Comment

    • BoylenOver
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 9146

      #3
      Originally posted by Mr Incredible View Post
      You can run outside...
      Yeah right.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

      Comment

      • kccougar
        9262
        • Nov 2008
        • 7020

        #4
        Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
        Yeah right.
        Seriously, it's September. Best time of year for running.
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

        Comment

        • BoylenOver
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 9146

          #5
          Originally posted by kccougar View Post
          Seriously, it's September. Best time of year for running.
          My apartment complex is in a weird area. The freeway is to the east and there's a lot of road with no sidewalk and a bunch of industrial work areas to the west.

          I don't mind walking out there, but I don't feel comfortable running. Also, I'm a terrible judge of distance, and I don't like overlapping.
          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

          Comment

          • chrisrenrut
            Strikes and Gutters
            • Jul 2009
            • 2298

            #6
            Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
            My apartment complex is in a weird area. The freeway is to the east and there's a lot of road with no sidewalk and a bunch of industrial work areas to the west.

            I don't mind walking out there, but I don't feel comfortable running. Also, I'm a terrible judge of distance, and I don't like overlapping.
            Just a thought, and maybe it isn't easier, but I enjoy running outside so much more than inside that it's worth it to me. . .

            Drive around and find some nice quite streets a mile or two away from where you live that you can map out a running route. Use the Odometer to map a loop that will give you the right distance. It willl only cost you a gallon of gas and about an hour. Then drive there to start your run. I do this in Bountiful sometimes, driving up to Davis or Bountiful Boulevard.

            Also, try to find a course that will give you some up and down in elevation. most race courses will have some elevation change and it's not well simulated on a treadmill.

            Comment

            • BoylenOver
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 9146

              #7
              Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
              Just a thought, and maybe it isn't easier, but I enjoy running outside so much more than inside that it's worth it to me. . .

              Drive around and find some nice quite streets a mile or two away from where you live that you can map out a running route. Use the Odometer to map a loop that will give you the right distance. It willl only cost you a gallon of gas and about an hour. Then drive there to start your run. I do this in Bountiful sometimes, driving up to Davis or Bountiful Boulevard.

              Also, try to find a course that will give you some up and down in elevation. most race courses will have some elevation change and it's not well simulated on a treadmill.
              Don't get me wrong, I usually prefer running outside, but that sounds like way too much work and inconvenience to run.
              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

              Comment

              • Teenage Dirtbag
                Since 1971
                • Nov 2008
                • 1096

                #8
                Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                And had the power not gone out at the gym last night, I probably would've finished in 30 minutes.
                I'm curious, what was it like when the power went out and everyone's treadmills came to an abrupt stop?

                Comment

                • SteelBlue
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8189

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                  I'm curious, what was it like when the power went out and everyone's treadmills came to an abrupt stop?
                  I was watching the episode of Shaq Vs. where he fought De La Hoya and he was training with the great Freddie Roach in Vegas. It was Vegas hot outside and Shaq asked to run on the treadmill. Freddie's reply? "No. Treadmills are for girls."

                  Comment

                  • BoylenOver
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 9146

                    #10
                    I finished in 31:34. That was a good time.
                    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                    Comment

                    Working...