Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are buying a home that has an HOA....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Dang! This is really going to escalate!
    To be clear, I've actually seen crap like this happen a number of times in Las Vegas. No idea if you're HOA is like some of the ones here, but I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of an active HOA.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
      A lady who lived by herself down the street from us had to move away a few months ago to care for an elderly relative. She rented her house out through a service; she hopes to move back in a couple of years.

Our HOA has a rule against boats/RVs/other trailers being parked on the street for more than 24 hours. I've been to some non-HOA neighborhoods around here, and one can hardly get through the street with the wide RVs and boats parked on either side. I like having clear streets, and that was a factor in us buying where we did.

Anyway, the renter who moved into the house is Shaka some party guy who is always taking girls to Lake Powell. He has a big boat, and he decided to park it out on the street when he moved in. It took up probably a third of the street. The front arm that comes down when it isn't on a hitch also started to push through the pavement. We have private streets and pay for our own resurfacing every couple of years. That buckle/hole is now the first blemish in the street anywhere in the community. Not even any oil stains anywhere else.

I went over to the house when the guy's car was in his driveway to introduce myself and to give him a head's up on the rules. Sometimes owners don't pass the information along to their renters. Garage door open, music playing, but nobody answered the door. I tried a few different times, but he never answered the door. About half of my cul-de-sac and street neighbors are retired couples who have time on their hands. One of the retired ladies left a note explaining the rule and offering to provide a copy of the rules if he needed them. No response. Another neighbor uses dial-a-ride services, and the dial-a-ride bus had trouble getting through because of the boat.

About six weeks went by without the guy answering his door or moving the boat. The retired lady decided to call the HOA. One day later, there was a notice on the trailer saying to move it within four days to avoid it being towed. Two days later, the boat was gone.
      JP, this story was a bit of a let down. #sjbh
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        JP, this story was a bit of a let down. #sjbh
        Just wait until part 2!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
          A lady who lived by herself down the street from us had to move away a few months ago to care for an elderly relative. She rented her house out through a service; she hopes to move back in a couple of years.

Our HOA has a rule against boats/RVs/other trailers being parked on the street for more than 24 hours. I've been to some non-HOA neighborhoods around here, and one can hardly get through the street with the wide RVs and boats parked on either side. I like having clear streets, and that was a factor in us buying where we did.

Anyway, the renter who moved into the house is Shaka some party guy who is always taking girls to Lake Powell. He has a big boat, and he decided to park it out on the street when he moved in. It took up probably a third of the street. The front arm that comes down when it isn't on a hitch also started to push through the pavement. We have private streets and pay for our own resurfacing every couple of years. That buckle/hole is now the first blemish in the street anywhere in the community. Not even any oil stains anywhere else.

I went over to the house when the guy's car was in his driveway to introduce myself and to give him a head's up on the rules. Sometimes owners don't pass the information along to their renters. Garage door open, music playing, but nobody answered the door. I tried a few different times, but he never answered the door. About half of my cul-de-sac and street neighbors are retired couples who have time on their hands. One of the retired ladies left a note explaining the rule and offering to provide a copy of the rules if he needed them. No response. Another neighbor uses dial-a-ride services, and the dial-a-ride bus had trouble getting through because of the boat.

About six weeks went by without the guy answering his door or moving the boat. The retired lady decided to call the HOA. One day later, there was a notice on the trailer saying to move it within four days to avoid it being towed. Two days later, the boat was gone.
          We have friends living in a newer development without an HOA. The houses are already crowded together. And it's compounded by people who park their RVs and boats on the street. It looks terrible.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I can't wait until LC installs the dish without paying the fee or getting the review and the HOA finds out. Then they start fining him $100 a week until he gets it corrected. He ignores the fees based on the advice in this thread and the HOA records its lien against his property, which is automatically perfected as of the date of the recording of the CC&Rs. The fees are are now rising exponentially and LC gets a little freaked out and decides to show them the FCC law which he figures is his trump card. The non-lawyer minimum wage HOA management employee is not authorized to think for herself and refuses to remove the fees. Also, the lawyer/trustee has now incurred "real" costs associated with recording the lien and the subsequent notice of default, so the HOA feels like it needs to recoup those costs and won't budge. LC gets even more freaked out and asks for advice from the board. The lawyers recommend he hire an attorney to wright a letter to the HOA's attorney, noting again the FCC ruling, which LC does. The HOA lawyer spends actual time responding, which increases the HOA's bill, which costs the HOA tacks onto the lien. Meanwhile, the monthly HOA dues that LC is paying are not being credited towards his monthly assessments, but instead are being applied to the longest due fines, which are still accruing at $100/week. So now the HOA includes missed assessments and late fees into the lien. LC can't afford to pay the mounting bill and the HOA records a notice of trustee's sale. LC totally freaks out now because he might lose his home over a stupid dish, but his only real options are to file a lawsuit and get a preliminary injunction to stop the sale and then hope that a judge will wipe out all of the fees and fines based solely on the FCC ruling. If that fails, he's SOL because he knows he ignored the HOA's rules and proceeded in violation to put up the dish in the first place, so he can't simply argue that this was all a misunderstanding. The end result is that LC settles with the HOA and pays a $1000 towards the monthly assessments and late charges as well as $3500 for the HOA's legal fees, not to mention his own attorney's fees.
            But he doesn't want to wait 30 days.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I can't wait until LC installs the dish without paying the fee or getting the review and the HOA finds out. Then they start fining him $100 a week until he gets it corrected. He ignores the fees based on the advice in this thread and the HOA records its lien against his property, which is automatically perfected as of the date of the recording of the CC&Rs. The fees are are now rising exponentially and LC gets a little freaked out and decides to show them the FCC law which he figures is his trump card. The non-lawyer minimum wage HOA management employee is not authorized to think for herself and refuses to remove the fees. Also, the lawyer/trustee has now incurred "real" costs associated with recording the lien and the subsequent notice of default, so the HOA feels like it needs to recoup those costs and won't budge. LC gets even more freaked out and asks for advice from the board. The lawyers recommend he hire an attorney to wright a letter to the HOA's attorney, noting again the FCC ruling, which LC does. The HOA lawyer spends actual time responding, which increases the HOA's bill, which costs the HOA tacks onto the lien. Meanwhile, the monthly HOA dues that LC is paying are not being credited towards his monthly assessments, but instead are being applied to the longest due fines, which are still accruing at $100/week. So now the HOA includes missed assessments and late fees into the lien. LC can't afford to pay the mounting bill and the HOA records a notice of trustee's sale. LC totally freaks out now because he might lose his home over a stupid dish, but his only real options are to file a lawsuit and get a preliminary injunction to stop the sale and then hope that a judge will wipe out all of the fees and fines based solely on the FCC ruling. If that fails, he's SOL because he knows he ignored the HOA's rules and proceeded in violation to put up the dish in the first place, so he can't simply argue that this was all a misunderstanding. The end result is that LC settles with the HOA and pays a $1000 towards the monthly assessments and late charges as well as $3500 for the HOA's legal fees, not to mention his own attorney's fees.
              Fuck that. People are shot for less here.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                Fuck that. People are shot for less here.
                Another reason to just pay the fee!
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Another reason to just pay the fee!
                  By the way, I disagree with your analysis completely.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                    By the way, I disagree with your analysis completely.
                    http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1154508

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

LC, what was the outcome of the Dish?
                      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

LOL. I received a letter from my HOA today to inform me that there were some new parking policy updates. Some highlights:

-the HOA has hired a company to help enforce the following new parking policies.

-we are to fully utilize our garage and driveway for our own vehicles, as well as the vehicles of any guests. Street parking is appropriate only when the garage and driveway have been fully utilized.

-on those limited occasions when sufficient parking area does not exist in the garage or driveway, we may apply to the Board of Directors for a Street Parking Permit. If granted, any street parking permit will be issued not to exceed o e year. To apply for a street parking permit, we must provide the make, model, color and license plate number of all vehicles in the household to prove the need for a variance.

-Residents and guests should utilize parking in the garage and driveway at all times. Street parking shall be limited to occasions when there is not enough other parking.

-On those occasions without sufficient parking area, guests may park on the street for up to 2 days in a calendar month. If more time is needed, I can request permission from the Management Company to receive a Guest Pass. Each household will be limited to 20 days of passes/year. To get Guest Pass, I am to provide Management Company with make, model, color and license plate number of the vehicle as well as specific dates of visit. The guest pass is non transferable to any other vehicle. To receive guest pass, I am to provide all makes, models, colors, and license plates of vehicles in the household to prove need for variance.

-Vehicles driven by residents with company logos or advertising must be parked inside the garage at all times because they are considered an advertising device and violate the CC&Rs.

-RVs are permitted on street for up to 24 hours for loading, unloading and cleaning only.

-Boats and watercraft are not allowed to be parked on street or in driveway.

-The Board of Directors or the enforcement agency will use its “own reasonable discretion” for the removal of any vehicle appearing to be in violation of any of the above rules and regulations, and may have it towed at owners expense.

-Vehicles parked on the street for more than 48 hours after a notice has been posted to the vehicle may be towed at owners expense.

Some other “friendly reminders regarding some community rules:”

-For Sale signs are prohibited.

-Permanent installation of any type of string lighting is prohibited.

-No staked or garden flags are allowed in front yard or side yard visible from the street.

-Garage doors must remain closed except to allow for ingress and egress.

-One security sign is allowed but must not be more than 24” from the home and must be in like new condition.

-Any private or Association-maintained streets and walkways within the community may not be used as a playground area for bicycles, skates, skateboards, scooters, wagons, and other activities which may cause dangerous conditions for automobile operators or pedestrians

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          LOL. I received a letter from my HOA today to inform me that there were some new parking policy updates. Some highlights:

-the HOA has hired a company to help enforce the following new parking policies.

-we are to fully utilize our garage and driveway for our own vehicles, as well as the vehicles of any guests. Street parking is appropriate only when the garage and driveway have been fully utilized.

-on those limited occasions when sufficient parking area does not exist in the garage or driveway, we may apply to the Board of Directors for a Street Parking Permit. If granted, any street parking permit will be issued not to exceed o e year. To apply for a street parking permit, we must provide the make, model, color and license plate number of all vehicles in the household to prove the need for a variance.

-Residents and guests should utilize parking in the garage and driveway at all times. Street parking shall be limited to occasions when there is not enough other parking.

-On those occasions without sufficient parking area, guests may park on the street for up to 2 days in a calendar month. If more time is needed, I can request permission from the Management Company to receive a Guest Pass. Each household will be limited to 20 days of passes/year. To get Guest Pass, I am to provide Management Company with make, model, color and license plate number of the vehicle as well as specific dates of visit. The guest pass is non transferable to any other vehicle. To receive guest pass, I am to provide all makes, models, colors, and license plates of vehicles in the household to prove need for variance.

-Vehicles driven by residents with company logos or advertising must be parked inside the garage at all times because they are considered an advertising device and violate the CC&Rs.

-RVs are permitted on street for up to 24 hours for loading, unloading and cleaning only.

-The Board of Directors or the enforcement agency will use its “own reasonable discretion” for the removal of any vehicle appearing to be in violation of any of the above rules and regulations, and may have it towed at owners expense.

-Vehicles parked on the street for more than 48 hours after a notice has been posted to the vehicle may be towed at owners expense.

-No staked or garden flags are allowed in front yard or side yard visible from the street.

-One security sign is allowed but must not be more than 24” from the home and must be in like new condition.

-Any private or Association-maintained streets and walkways within the community may not be used as a playground area for bicycles, skates, skateboards, scooters, wagons, and other activities which may cause dangerous conditions for automobile operators or pedestrians

You're making me glad that we're not in an association.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            You're making me glad that we're not in an association.
                            I'm glad my HOA isn't totally overboard like that. And that's in Las Vegas?

Comment

Holy crap. That is insane.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

holy effing hell.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X