Electrician advice.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dabrockster
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 10948

    #1

    Electrician advice.

    So, we got a new/used Treadmill. This thing is commercial grade (Matrix T3X) worth used close to $3,000. We got it for a steal for $650. I am pretty stoked. We bought it through this store called "Firesale" ( http://www.firesale4u.com/ ), which buys items from retailers, insurance etc for cheap.

    Anyway, we finally got it delivered to the house and the plug is different then my outlet. This plug is a Nema 5-20R 120v. I am looking to buy a adapter for it and just use the outlet but am concerned because I run my TV off of the same outlet. Will this pop my breaker? Do I need to get a dedicated breaker for this?


    Thanks for your help..
  • Lost Student
    BAND!
    • Nov 2008
    • 4324

    #2
    Cool website name. Reminded me of this (sorry for crappy quality of vid):
    [YOUTUBE]LHs9Rf7L8_U[/YOUTUBE]
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

    Comment

    • Surfah
      Where's Wallace?
      • Nov 2008
      • 33726

      #3
      Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
      So, we got a new/used Treadmill. This thing is commercial grade (Matrix T3X) worth used close to $3,000. We got it for a steal for $650. I am pretty stoked. We bought it through this store called "Firesale" ( http://www.firesale4u.com/ ), which buys items from retailers, insurance etc for cheap.

      Anyway, we finally got it delivered to the house and the plug is different then my outlet. This plug is a Nema 5-20R 120v. I am looking to buy a adapter for it and just use the outlet but am concerned because I run my TV off of the same outlet. Will this pop my breaker? Do I need to get a dedicated breaker for this?


      Thanks for your help..
      You're going to have to check your breakers. That treadmill has that 5-20R plug because of the amps the treadmill draws. So you're going to need to make sure that it is plugged into a circuit with a 20 amp breaker. Also, you're going to want it on a circuit without much else on it or else it will trip especially when you get that treadmill motor up to speed.

      My guess is your circuits in your home are 15 amp. So you'll need to replace one with a 20 amp breaker and then the 20 amp rated receptacle which will fit the 5-20R plug.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

      Comment

      • Drunk Tank
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 2569

        #4
        Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
        So, we got a new/used Treadmill. This thing is commercial grade (Matrix T3X) worth used close to $3,000. We got it for a steal for $650. I am pretty stoked. We bought it through this store called "Firesale" ( http://www.firesale4u.com/ ), which buys items from retailers, insurance etc for cheap.

        Anyway, we finally got it delivered to the house and the plug is different then my outlet. This plug is a Nema 5-20R 120v. I am looking to buy a adapter for it and just use the outlet but am concerned because I run my TV off of the same outlet. Will this pop my breaker? Do I need to get a dedicated breaker for this?


        Thanks for your help..
        I wouldnt recomend the adapter. The adapter is not the issue, it is the power rating of the circuit. The electrical specs for the treadmill call for a 20 amp dedicated circuit. Most houses are set up for 15 amp service. If you can determine that the wiring in your house can handle a 20 amp load, then the easiest fix is to swap out the 15 amp circuit breaker for a 20 amp breaker. Then swap out the receptical inside the house for a Nema 5-15/20R receptical (it has the sideways "T" that accepts both 15 and 20 amp plugs). If you arent comfortable with this, hire an electrician to do it or have one run a dedicated circuit.


        *disclaimer, I am not an electrician and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night, so YMMV. I'd get a second opionion.


        Edit....Ditto what Surfah said....I started typing my post and then had to finish something else...
        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

        Comment

        • dabrockster
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2009
          • 10948

          #5
          Thanks Surfah and DT. Is this something that I could do myself?

          I am thinking I could easily get the 12 gauge wire run it through the wall and make a outlet and get the 20 amp breaker. My only concern is wiring the outlet..

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37987

            #6
            Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
            Thanks Surfah and DT. Is this something that I could do myself?

            I am thinking I could easily get the 12 gauge wire run it through the wall and make a outlet and get the 20 amp breaker. My only concern is wiring the outlet..
            Wiring the outlet won't be hard. If you're comfortable running the wire and hooking up the breaker, you can wire the outlet.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Donuthole
              Official Outgayer
              • Nov 2008
              • 25268

              #7
              Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
              Thanks Surfah and DT. Is this something that I could do myself?

              I am thinking I could easily get the 12 gauge wire run it through the wall and make a outlet and get the 20 amp breaker. My only concern is wiring the outlet..
              Wiring the outlet is the easy part. Fishing the wire from the electrical box to the outlet in a finished house is much more difficult, IMO (though depending on the location and ceiling/attic access, may be relatively simple as well).
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment

              • FN Phat
                I ♥ gateway sex
                • Feb 2009
                • 8691

                #8
                Wiring an outlet is probably the easiest task for a DIYer.
                I'm your huckleberry.


                "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #9
                  Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                  Wiring an outlet is probably the easiest task for a DIYer.
                  The outlets these days have little shark bite holes for the wires that are clearly marked. All you have to do with these is strip a bit of wire and stick in the hole. Or if you get the normal one it is white wire to silver screw, black wire to brass screw and the unsheathed copper wire to the green ground screw.

                  Just be sure power is shut off to the circuit at the panel before working on any of this.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • dabrockster
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 10948

                    #10
                    The location of this outlet is in a good place. It is directly above the breaker panel that is in my basement. I am thinking I should be able to fish the wire fairly easily since it only needs to go directly down. But we'll see...

                    I have a burnt thumb. I seem to have a problem with electrical work. I installed new outlets in an old home and had issues. I had a professional come out and he told me I had the wires all wrong to the new outlet.. Of course that was one of the first DIY'er projects so I am hoping I can handle this. Since then I have installed may fans/lights etc..


                    My wife is leery of me doing this, but I think I can do it... I may run into some issues but I think I can handle it..






                    EDIT: Is it possible for me to remove the existing outlet and use those wires for the new outlet? And just replace the 15 amp with a 20 amp.

                    My house was built in the 70's so take that into account..

                    Comment

                    • PaloAltoCougar
                      Semper infra dignitatem
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 16937

                      #11
                      dabrockster, I appreciate the desire to save some bucks and the satisfaction of a DIY project done well, but when it comes to things electrical, I strongly recommend you hire an electrician to come do this for you.

                      In any case, I've enjoyed knowing you on the board.

                      Comment

                      • FN Phat
                        I ♥ gateway sex
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 8691

                        #12
                        I'm your huckleberry.


                        "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                        Comment

                        • dabrockster
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 10948

                          #13
                          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          dabrockster, I appreciate the desire to save some bucks and the satisfaction of a DIY project done well, but when it comes to things electrical, I strongly recommend you hire an electrician to come do this for you.

                          In any case, I've enjoyed knowing you on the board.
                          If I don't post in the next week or so, please look at the Obits in C-Bus and Utah.. TIA


                          Originally posted by FN Phat View Post

                          Comment

                          • Bo Diddley
                            Senior
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 18791

                            #14
                            EDIT: Is it possible for me to remove the existing outlet and use those wires for the new outlet? And just replace the 15 amp with a 20 amp.

                            My house was built in the 70's so take that into account..
                            Not sure how you'd retrieve the wire from your existing receptical. It's fed from another one on the circuit, isn't it? I would want new wire if I were doing this project.

                            Comment

                            • Shaka
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 10449

                              #15
                              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              dabrockster, I appreciate the desire to save some bucks and the satisfaction of a DIY project done well, but when it comes to things electrical, I strongly recommend you hire an electrician to come do this for you.

                              In any case, I've enjoyed knowing you on the board.
                              Any man worth his salt can wire up an outlet without killing himself and/or burning down his house.

                              Comment

                              Working...