Televisions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jay santos
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 13652

    #1

    Televisions

    What's the better TV between these two?



    https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Inch-Ult...6H4/ref=sr_1_3

    Or any other budget large screen television?
  • USUC
    Chronic Poseur
    • Apr 2010
    • 8784

    #2
    What is your budget? I was looking at these types of TVs. Everyone loved the OLEDs and they do look great but they were just out of my budget. I ended up with a Samsung QLED that was about $500 more than what you are looking at here. The picture quality was just so much better. The darks aren't quite as good as the OLED, but the room is really bright during the day because we have large windows. The QLED handles the light well.

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #3
      Originally posted by USUC View Post
      What is your budget? I was looking at these types of TVs. Everyone loved the OLEDs and they do look great but they were just out of my budget. I ended up with a Samsung QLED that was about $500 more than what you are looking at here. The picture quality was just so much better. The darks aren't quite as good as the OLED, but the room is really bright during the day because we have large windows. The QLED handles the light well.
      It's not so much budget as it is optimizing bang for buck. When I look at expensive televisions vs inexpensive, the difference doesn't justify the cost for me usually.

      I think what you are saying is that LED > QLED > OLED and these televisions are LED and I might do better going to QLED by upping budget a little?

      Comment

      • jay santos
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 13652

        #4
        Here's a QLED for a couple hundred more. Better? The refresh rate is 60 vs 120 for the cheaper LED's. But I don't know how important that is.

        https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-85-In...8-de351f41cffb

        Comment

        • Art Vandelay
          Striving for mediocrity
          • Jul 2009
          • 10516

          #5
          I have this model and love it. With that said, I have no idea what the difference is between it and the lower priced Samsung you linked to

          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

          Comment

          • USUC
            Chronic Poseur
            • Apr 2010
            • 8784

            #6
            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            Here's a QLED for a couple hundred more. Better? The refresh rate is 60 vs 120 for the cheaper LED's. But I don't know how important that is.

            https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-85-In...8-de351f41cffb
            I actually didn't pay close enough attention to TV size. This is the TV I got but I went with the 75". It was also on sale. For the 85 inch it is quite a bit more.

            SAMSUNG 75-Inch Class Neo QLED QN90A Series - 4K UHD Quantum HDR 32x Smart TV with Alexa Built-in (QN75QN90AAFXZA, 2021 Model) https://a.co/d/eFfcpn8

            Side by side I could 100% tell the difference between 60 and 120. But alone I'm not sure I would notice.

            Comment

            • USUC
              Chronic Poseur
              • Apr 2010
              • 8784

              #7
              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              I have this model and love it. With that said, I have no idea what the difference is between it and the lower priced Samsung you linked to

              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
              This was out of stock in the 75" everywhere when I was looking for a TV. I thought this version looked great as well.

              Comment

              • Pelado
                Bald not naked
                • Sep 2010
                • 21139

                #8
                I'm also looking for a new TV since I accidently killed our master bedroom TV. It was a 50" Hisence Roku TV from Costco. My wife is nearly the exclusive user of that TV, so I really liked how there was just one remote to control everything.

                Unfortunately, it looks like Costco doesn't stock Roku TVs anymore. And, strangely, she says she doesn't want a TV that big even though we just moved into a house in which the master bedroom TV will be a greater distance away.

                So I'm looking at 43" Roku TVs from non-Costco locations. My concern is that we'll get one and then she'll realize - once everything is installed - that the TV is too small.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #9
                  Originally posted by USUC View Post

                  I actually didn't pay close enough attention to TV size. This is the TV I got but I went with the 75". It was also on sale. For the 85 inch it is quite a bit more.

                  SAMSUNG 75-Inch Class Neo QLED QN90A Series - 4K UHD Quantum HDR 32x Smart TV with Alexa Built-in (QN75QN90AAFXZA, 2021 Model) https://a.co/d/eFfcpn8

                  Side by side I could 100% tell the difference between 60 and 120. But alone I'm not sure I would notice.
                  I have a QN90A series (not as big) and it's a great TV especially if you don't have good light control (i.e., a room with lots of windows). Not as good as a OLED TV but not as expensive and less worries about screen burn in. Some features I really like about this TV include:

                  - The remote. It has a solar panel on the back to charge itself (you just have to remember to keep the solar panel side up when you leave it). Also, the built in universal remote support is very good. Simple but powerful button layout/design.
                  - 5.0 Bluetooth transmitter. Great for wireless headphones or connecting to a stereo system without messing wiring.
                  - Builtin Airplay and AppleTV+.

                  One downside is the Tizen OS it runs. It doesn't have the app selection like Roku, FireTV, etc. but it has most of the important ones, like ESPN, Netflix, Prime, etc.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69676

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    I'm also looking for a new TV since I accidently killed our master bedroom TV.
                    Loss to UAB last year? Holker transfer?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Ted
                      The Big 12 money shot.
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 28853

                      #11
                      Originally posted by jay santos View Post

                      It's not so much budget as it is optimizing bang for buck. When I look at expensive televisions vs inexpensive, the difference doesn't justify the cost for me usually.

                      I think what you are saying is that LED > QLED > OLED and these televisions are LED and I might do better going to QLED by upping budget a little?
                      Yeah, OLED is very nice. QLED, especially the 90 level series, are very nice for the picture as well. The 60 level series Samsungs are not much better than the ones you are looking at above. Check out https://www.rtings.com for fairly in-depth picture evaluations and reviews.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • USUC
                        Chronic Poseur
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 8784

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

                        I have a QN90A series (not as big) and it's a great TV especially if you don't have good light control (i.e., a room with lots of windows). Not as good as a OLED TV but not as expensive and less worries about screen burn in. Some features I really like about this TV include:

                        - The remote. It has a solar panel on the back to charge itself (you just have to remember to keep the solar panel side up when you leave it). Also, the built in universal remote support is very good. Simple but powerful button layout/design.
                        - 5.0 Bluetooth transmitter. Great for wireless headphones or connecting to a stereo system without messing wiring.
                        - Builtin Airplay and AppleTV+.

                        One downside is the Tizen OS it runs. It doesn't have the app selection like Roku, FireTV, etc. but it has most of the important ones, like ESPN, Netflix, Prime, etc.
                        The remote is pretty great. I have noticed that at times there is a lag between hitting the remote and getting a reaction. Sometimes I don't know if I just didn't hit the button directly or if it is just slow. Not sure how to deal with that.

                        But everything else has been great with this tv.

                        Comment

                        • Pelado
                          Bald not naked
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 21139

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                          Loss to UAB last year? Holker transfer?
                          No - after all these years, I'm somewhat numb to BYU underperforming.

                          We just moved into a new (to us) home last week, primarily on Wednesday. I spent a good chunk of Saturday cleaning at the old place and packing up some of the items we didn't fit (or didn't want to try to fit) in the moving truck, including the aforementioned television set. I got home around 10 pm and realized the studfinder was still over at the other house, so I wouldn't be able to install the TV mount. So I scooted my old footlocker/trunk over to the wall opposite the bed and carefully set the TV on top. Our internet still hasn't been installed, so I brought in the backup mobile hotspot from my office so we wouldn't be without YouTube TV and such. So I got it all connected and functioning so my wife could enjoy her stupid reality shows in there.

                          I then went downstairs to watch the BYU-Wyoming game on the TV I'd set up the previous night (on which I'd watched the Boise State-UTEP game). But there were several issues when I tried to watch the game. First, I saw an email that we had already burned through 80% of data for the mobile hotspot - in one day. Not wanting the data to run out while watching the game, I called in and upgraded to have 5 times as much data for this billing period.

                          So then I tried to start the game, but I couldn't get the receiver to turn on. That has been an issue before when it's overheated, but it hadn't been used all day and was just room temperature. Eventually I was able to get it to turn on.

                          Once the receiver was back on, I got an error message about the HDMI cables not being HDCP compliant (even though the setup had worked fine the night before). So I turned off all the connected devices, unplugged all the HDMI cables, plugged them all back in, and then turned everything back on. The HDCP error message went away, but the colors were all messed up because the HDMI cable between the receiver and TV wasn't seated quite right.

                          So I unplugged that cable and plugged it back in, making sure it was plenty snug.

                          Then I got the HDCP error message again. After I went through the HDCP troubleshooting again, the colors were messed up again. My son, not having seen anything we'd done to that point, jumped in to lecture me on the solution to the problem, unplugging both the HDMI connection from the Roku to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV and then plugging them back in. After that, I couldn't get a signal at all.

                          Around that time - approaching midnight - my wife called us all together for family prayer in our bedroom. After our family prayer, she complained that the master bedroom TV was too low and asked me to move it onto the dresser. Annoyed, I carefully scooted the footlocker/trunk (with the TV still on top) away from the wall to make room for the dresser that I then started to slide over so that it would be centered with the bed. I was rushing to get the dresser into place so I could get back and try to get the game to work. On my last pull to slide the dresser into place, my big butt bumped the TV positioned behind me, causing it to fall screen-first off the footlocker and onto the floor. My hopes that it could survive the impact did not last long. Turning it on showcased a crackled pattern of light, but absolutely no other functionality.

                          I moved the garbage TV onto the neatly positioned dresser and sheepishly returned downstairs to my other non-functioning TV. I tried watching the game on my phone but it became pretty choppy and unwatchable. So sometime after 1 am, I went to the office where I watched the game on my office computer screen (with reliable high-speed data).

                          On Sunday or Monday, I realized that when my son had unplugged the HDMI cable from the Roku to the receiver, he hadn't put it back in the same input as before. Returning it to the prior input made everything work how it was supposed to. So I have that going for me, which is nice.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69676

                            #14
                            Oh man. Sorry.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Bo Diddley
                              Senior
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 18786

                              #15
                              I feel your pain, my brother!

                              Comment

                              Working...