Microwave on the fritz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Have I mentioned prior microwave issues?

Mid-morning and no word yet from the microwave repair guy.
    See, YO? Now your hopes have been dashed. What a Dumdum!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Triplet, before you let the repair guy open up your microwave, I would ask him how he knows, and I mean really knows, the mag tube is dead. You should have him check with some philosophers ot see if his knowledge is real or not and if the theory of his knowledge acquisition might have gotten in the way of his understanding of the problem. Just some friendly advice.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Ghost
        DDD,

The magnetron in your microwave is probably toast. This happened to my microwave just a few months ago - after 10 years of reliable use. I was going to open up mine and replace the part myself, but the cost of a new magnetron ($150) and the dozen or so t20 safety torx bit screws on the back of my microwave cover (for which I have no bit) deterred me. I ended up buying a used scratch-and-dent as a replacement from a local appliance wholesaler. It cost me about $225 (including tax), which is about what I would have paid to have the old one fixed (if you include parts and labor).

If you want to get an idea what a new magnetron will cost for your microwave... go to Repair Clinic dot com and input your model #. Then isolate the magnetron part using the "part type" selection list on the left-hand side.

I wouldn't waste your money trying to have someone else fix it... unless you really, really love it and nothing else will do. Also, having someone come out and look at it will cost you a $50-$75 trip charge... some (less than reputable) repair outfits charge you once to come out and diagnose and again to come out again and fix it. So watch out for that.

Like your wife, I prefer the homogeneous badging on the appliances... I replaced my GE Profile microwave with a GE monogram one. The two microwaves are slightly different in size, but the cabinet space where the microwave was installed was actually more spacious than I thought it was. It was only after I removed the trim kit that framed the old microwave in the cabinet that I realized that I had a lot more room to play with than I had previously thought. The trim kit was affixed to the cabinet frame with 4 philips screws and was quite easy to remove. Since it was made specifically for my old microwave, I discarded it after I took the old microwave to the recycling center. There is a trim kit available for this other GE model, but for now I just have the microwave sitting alone in the cabinet void. It looks just fine (to me) without the trim kit framing it.

Anyway... good luck!

cheers.
        Spaceghost, this is amazingly detailed knowledge about microwaves. Kudos to you.
        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Triplet, before you let the repair guy open up your microwave, I would ask him how he knows, and I mean really knows, the mag tube is dead. You should have him check with some philosophers ot see if his knowledge is real or not and if the theory of his knowledge acquisition might have gotten in the way of his understanding of the problem. Just some friendly advice.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Second update: microwave dudes arrived at the house, replaced the mag tube for the quoted amount, and went on their way.

My wife said that they left the old mag tube with us because they are required to give it to the owner. Has anyone heard of this? Does a mag tube emit radiation?

At any rate, when I get home, I will simply put it in my neighbor's trash can (Persians) and be done with it.

Thanks to everyone for all your comments, insights, and private messages of concern. We are all ok and happy to put this trial behind us.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Second update: microwave dudes arrived at the house, replaced the mag tube for the quoted amount, and went on their way.

My wife said that they left the old mag tube with us because they are required to give it to the owner. Has anyone heard of this? Does a mag tube emit radiation?

At any rate, when I get home, I will simply put it in my neighbor's trash can (Persians) and be done with it.

Thanks to everyone for all your comments, insights, and private messages of concern. We are all ok and happy to put this trial behind us.
              Glad to hear everything worked out well, DDD!
              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Comment

When I started reading this thread, I wasn't sure how it was going to end, for good or bad. It appeared that you had a good deal and the guy was going to fix it for a good price...but then your update on him not calling yet, left me feeling disappointed wondering if it was too good to be true. And then, when the frustration I was feeling reached its pinnacle, you give us this update and once again, I feel pleased. Congrats DDD. It sounds like it was quite the ordeal with more twists and turns than a Tom Clancy novel, but a conclusion that left people cheering from their seats.

Enjoy the new lease on life the microwave.

Comment

Did you say dudeS? there were two ro more people to fix your little bitty mag tube? Bad news, triplet. They were casing your place for a job later today. Be careful.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Did you say dudeS? there were two ro more people to fix your little bitty mag tube? Bad news, triplet. They were casing your place for a job later today. Be careful.
                    hopefully the take some of the Easter decorations that are starting to resurrect pop up around the house.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                      Spoiler for Fate of Triplet's microwave:
                      When I started reading this thread, I wasn't sure how it was going to end, for good or bad. It appeared that you had a good deal and the guy was going to fix it for a good price...but then your update on him not calling yet, left me feeling disappointed wondering if it was too good to be true. And then, when the frustration I was feeling reached its pinnacle, you give us this update and once again, I feel pleased. Congrats DDD. It sounds like it was quite the ordeal with more twists and turns than a Tom Clancy novel, but a conclusion that left people cheering from their seats.

Enjoy the new lease on life the microwave.
                      Sorry, but I had to edit your post. In the future, please be more considerate of those that have not yet finished reading through the entire "Microwave on the fritz" thread.

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                          Glad to hear everything worked out well, DDD!
                          Feels good to have waited it out, doesn't it?
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Feels good to have waited it out, doesn't it?
                            Oh, yeah! Some of us stuck with it and didn't jump the gun. SO worth it!

Comment

...Does a mag tube emit radiation?

Obviously you haven't been watching this season's 24. Leaving spent fuel rods with the Persians cannot end well.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                Obviously you haven't been watching this season's 24. Leaving spent fuel rods with the Persians cannot end well.
                                I remember when I was little my mom would tell us to stand at least a couple of feet away from the microwave while it was on. Dangerous stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X