General Authority salaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Authority salaries

We have no way of verifying/disputing GA stipends, but would you be okay with Apostles receiving $600K a year? Would you be in favor of the Church publishing its financial records? I don't care too much either way now, but as a missionary there were a few times I told investigators that ours was an unpaid ministry, all the way up to the Prophet.

There's a Tithing section on this site, with a subsection, "How much do the General Authorities get paid?":
    From a former church financial employee:
    Although we generally don't use information from sources we can't verify, the following is from someone that we feel is a trustworthy source. He claims to be a former church employee.

The church consists of at least 400 separate legal entities in 130+ countries...all with different taxation laws. The Church itself in USA is mostly tax exempt. There are some countries that the Church pays property tax, etc., but for the most part the Church itself is tax exempt in most of the world. It doesn't even report its financial standing to its own members, much less the US government.

The Church owns stock in many other companies that are well known like Bonneville International, Deseret Book, etc. These companies are not tax exempt because they are not the Church per se even if they are wholly owned by the Church. The Church owns or owned more secretive stock in other conglomerates or holding companies like Times Mirror or the Chandler Fund which owns many big newspapers like The LA Times, Chicago Sun, etc.

When I worked there, Ensign Peak Advisors was top secret. I heard my superiors mention it and everyone just 'knew' this was something you never talked about. I knew it was very controversial based on the secrecy even on the inside. Indeed many assets were transferred from the Corporation of the President to this other 'company'. At that time Brother Clarke worked in a back office secretly putting this all together for Hinckley. There are many reasons for this new entity. One is to remove these assets from the Church in case of lawsuits. The other is to try to separate from 'tithing' funds so it can be used more flexibly and the Church can defensively say that Church funds weren't used to do this or that.

The First Presidency and 12 Apostles were at that time paid $600K a year and the 70 were paid about $120K. In addition, in the mid-1990s the members of the First Presidency each had unlimited, unaudited charge cards. Hinckley lived in a million dollar condo with servants all provided by Church funds. GA's have significant other benefits like vacation retreats owned by the Church down by St. George and in Oahu, free tuition in Church colleges for their families, world-wide travel pretty much any time they want.

To give you an idea of Church middle management, I earned about $100,000 per year with benefits including pension. I could travel pretty much anywhere world-wide with little justification.
    (In no way am I claiming that as a good source).

More information about the founder of that website: Sunstone article.

The beauty of the church not commenting on this topic is that anyone can just make up crap and not be challenged on it.

What does income consist of? Being reimbursed for flying 250,000+ miles a year and all the associated costs with travel?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I have no idea if this is true. But if Apostles are receiving a 600K stipend each year, or anything close to that, I would be annoyed and hugely disappointed.

I know they get nice kickbacks at Utah Woolen Mills!
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        The beauty of the church not commenting on this topic is that anyone can just make up crap and not be challenged on it.
        Well they obviously get paid something. Scottie's question is a good one. At what point would their 'living stipend' become offensive?

And why doesn't the church spell out how its leaders are compensated? It would do a lot to dispel the notion that they are living large off of poor members' largess.

Comment

The FP and Q12 are on the Board of Trustees of BYU. For a university of that size, I'm sure they are paid handsomely for their sinecures.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            The FP and Q12 are on the Board of Trustees of BYU. For a university of that size, I'm sure they are paid handsomely for their sinecures.
            What is the typical compensation for being on a major university's board of trustees?

Comment

What does income consist of? Being reimbursed for flying 250,000+ miles a year and all the associated costs with travel?
              Let's say $600K, which is in addition to travel expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                Well they obviously get paid something. Scottie's question is a good one. At what point would their 'living stipend' become offensive?

And why doesn't the church spell out how its leaders are compensated? It would do a lot to dispel the notion that they are living large off of poor members' largess.
                Obviously they get paid something. What I'm interested in is how creatively we are defining "income" here. If we are including travel reimbursement, I made nearly triple what my income tax return stated one year.

Comment

I have family members in the church leadership hierarchy who have always mysteriously lived extremely well when their lifestyle was held up to the average pay for people doing what they did professionally.

Comment

I grew up just up the street from an Apostle. There were two others in my stake. If they were getting this kind of money I don't know were it went. They lived in homes that were in line with what their previous employment would have allowed them to obtain (actually, the homes were probably more modest than you might expect). I know I've heard that some GAs who were well off before being called turn around and give most or all of what the Church pays them right back, but this is probably about as credible as the source here, so don't quote me on that.
                    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      I have family members in the church leadership hierarchy who have always mysteriously lived extremely well when their lifestyle was held up to the average pay for people doing what they did professionally.
                      So you have seen first hand the power of paying a full tithe?
                      *Banned*

Comment

Both the Ostlings and Quinn get into this topic in detail. If memory serves, detailed financial reports in GC stopped, not coincidentally, in the wake of President Henry Moyle's baseball baptisms fiasco.
                        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

My guess is that they also receive rent/mortgage/food allowance, in-town travel allowance, vehicle/gas allowance, clothing/suit allowance, petty cash, health insurance, etc.....in essence, the daily bills that you and I have to pay are all paid for by the Church. Since being a GA is a full-time gig, it makes sense that they take of them full-time.

I have no issue with that. I do have issue with the tune of 600K. I'd even have issue to the tune of $150K. That is a lot of scratch in Utah, where the average salary isn't even half of that. Apostles of the Lord should not be living on a stipend that is almost 3 times the average wage of the commoners. It should, at best, reflect what the masses are making.

There is no scriptural basis for living fat off the land by becoming an Apostle. There is plenty of scriptural basis for men people asked to leave everything behind to become fishers of men.

Ultimately, you are correct...since the Church never gets into any of this, there is no reliable way of knowing unless you have an inside source.

sigpic

Comment

Anyone here close enough to one of the 70s to ask him if he's paid $120K per? (Above and beyond travel and living expenses).

Comment

Obviously they get paid something. What I'm interested in is how creatively we are defining "income" here. If we are including travel reimbursement, I made nearly triple what my income tax return stated one year.
                              what do you mean by "travel reimbursement?"

The Apostle has to fly to Peru for a stake conference. Apostle books a flight to Peru, pays on his credit card, and then submits his expenses to the Church for a reimbursement? Why would that be income? Maybe I am not understanding.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X