an example why my church attendance is low

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tick's wife
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 528

    #1

    an example why my church attendance is low

    Okay, so I went to church today....but left after sacrament, which I usually don't do. When I go, I usually go all three hours. Anyway, there is this new family in our ward and it is his turn to introduce the family and give a talk. Towards the end he tells us that he did not feel that his family was a very righteous one because they would miss an occassionaly daily family prayer or daily scripture. Well, folks, I guess my family is going to hell with that kind of standard.....but I'm okay with that, there are plenty of us down there to celebrate.
  • Viking
    Banned
    • Jun 2009
    • 6470

    #2
    Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
    Okay, so I went to church today....but left after sacrament, which I usually don't do. When I go, I usually go all three hours. Anyway, there is this new family in our ward and it is his turn to introduce the family and give a talk. Towards the end he tells us that he did not feel that his family was a very righteous one because they would miss an occassionaly daily family prayer or daily scripture. Well, folks, I guess my family is going to hell with that kind of standard.....but I'm okay with that, there are plenty of us down there to celebrate.
    Did this happen?

    And the LDS bishop cuts his mic. If only more of the faithful could be so brave ... The video speaks for itself: More Mormon Fast and Testim...

    Comment

    • Tick's wife
      Junior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 528

      #3
      yes, this is what happened...it truly happened...he's also from Utah.

      Comment

      • Viking
        Banned
        • Jun 2009
        • 6470

        #4
        Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
        yes, this is what happened...it truly happened...he's also from Utah.
        I actually thought that was pretty narcissistic. I agree with the guy in principle, but it's clearly the Church's right and he must have known 99% of his audience was going to feel uncomfortable by his speech.

        Comment

        • Tick's wife
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 528

          #5
          Originally posted by Viking View Post
          I actually thought that was pretty narcissistic. I agree with the guy in principle, but it's clearly the Church's right and he must have known 99% of his audience was going to feel uncomfortable by his speech.
          well, of course, any family will benefit from daily prayers and scriptures but it was pretty a pretty bold statement. I don't hate the guy or anything, it's just the way he grew up and the way he is....it is just interesting how people view 'righteousness'....I just don't think I'm righteous at all, I think and know I'm human....God loves me and that's what I know.

          Comment

          • RobinFinderson
            Banned
            • Nov 2008
            • 10548

            #6
            Originally posted by Viking View Post
            Wow! That video is awesome. That dude had some cajones. I really liked the ominous suit that got up and followed him down the aisle.

            I also liked this scripture, which I didn't remember, quoted in the comments:

            D&C 134:9

            We do not believe it just to amingle religious influence with civil government, whereby one religious society is fostered and another proscribed in its spiritual privileges, and the individual rights of its members, as citizens, denied.

            Comment

            • Indy Coug
              Heartless Bastard
              • Dec 2008
              • 18747

              #7
              Originally posted by Viking View Post
              1. Who is filming a sacrament meeting and why?

              2. Is this really the right forum to be airing your objections?
              Everything in life is an approximation.

              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

              Comment

              • All-American
                Right, as Usual
                • Nov 2008
                • 15680

                #8
                Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                Wow! That video is awesome. That dude had some cajones. I really liked the ominous suit that got up and followed him down the aisle.

                I also liked this scripture, which I didn't remember, quoted in the comments:
                I wish more people would do that.

                It might mean we do away with the open mike meeting.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69751

                  #9
                  Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                  Wow! That video is awesome. That dude had some cajones. I really liked the ominous suit that got up and followed him down the aisle.
                  Oh brother.

                  What if he had mooned the audience? Would you admire his cajones then?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Indy Coug
                    Heartless Bastard
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 18747

                    #10
                    Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    I wish more people would do that.

                    It might mean we do away with the open mike meeting.
                    Testimony meeting the the only meeting in my branch that consistently delivers the spirit.
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

                    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                    Comment

                    • All-American
                      Right, as Usual
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 15680

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      1. Who is filming a sacrament meeting and why?

                      2. Is this really the right forum to be airing your objections?
                      1. My guess is that the guy asked him to bring his camera.

                      2. Clearly not, but then again, what is the right forum?
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                      Comment

                      • All-American
                        Right, as Usual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 15680

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Oh brother.

                        What if he had mooned the audience? Would you admire his cajones then?
                        That depends on how far over he would have bent and how far down he would have pulled down his pants.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                        Comment

                        • FMCoug
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 6825

                          #13
                          Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          That depends on how far over he would have bent and how far down he would have pulled down his pants.
                          LOL + Snort!
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                          Comment

                          • Viking
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 6470

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            1. Who is filming a sacrament meeting and why?

                            2. Is this really the right forum to be airing your objections?
                            It was totally inappropriate. The filming was obvious: they knew that some form of sparks would fly.

                            If you go, go quietly. It's not a stage nor is it a show.

                            Comment

                            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                              Time to camp
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26082

                              #15
                              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              I really liked the ominous suit that got up and followed him down the aisle.
                              It is possible the guy in the suit is part of the family he thanked for loving him unconditionally, going to support him rather than an ominous enforcer.

                              [/threadjack]

                              tick and wife, I have grown to really dislike sacrament meeting. Unprepared speeches that ramble on making no point, self serving on a pet peeve of the speaker, false self-deprecating in order to get praise from ward members after the game. Makes me really annoyed.

                              You guys did your part yesterday, non-member with missionaries at your house. I would have called that good.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

                              Comment

                              Working...