If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
IIRC, the Jehovah Witnesses are more persistent than ever. Oral Roberts, however, is working on a new tactic since his "God is going to kill me unless..." approach just gets a bunch of chuckles.
IIRC, the Jehovah Witnesses are more persistent than ever. Oral Roberts, however, is working on a new tactic since his "God is going to kill me unless..." approach just gets a bunch of chuckles.
When we'd run into JDubs on the mission I generally avoided conversation other than exchanging pleasantries. I had one guy though give me literature which I accepted. He began explaining things in there like the afterlife which in this handout depicted all nationalities of people living harmoniously cultivating a grand garden with wheelbarrows of food. I told him it looked like a lot of work. He explained that it would be paradise, blah, blah, blah. I asked, "Then what?"
Basically it turned into the Chinese drive thru scene from Dude, Where's My Car? He got really mad at me.
I think I am a lot like CardiacCoug in this regard. Questions like this just don't interest me much. How could anyone know the answer to that question?
I think I must be lacking in some faith, I have a hard time understanding why we should live by a certain dogma without some understanding of what the end result is.
I did not mean to imply that someone has an exact answer, but rather an idea of what time will be filled with.
My EQ President was telling the missionaries that when people die, they hang out in places that they are most comfortable in. If that is the case, then CUF should be in the afterlife for sure.
I've also heard it said when someone dies that "The Lord really needed this person on the other side because there is so much work to be done." If that is the case, then I suspect there is work enough to do...regardless of where you are.
"They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.
Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
When we'd run into JDubs on the mission I generally avoided conversation other than exchanging pleasantries. I had one guy though give me literature which I accepted. He began explaining things in there like the afterlife which in this handout depicted all nationalities of people living harmoniously cultivating a grand garden with wheelbarrows of food. I told him it looked like a lot of work. He explained that it would be paradise, blah, blah, blah. I asked, "Then what?"
Basically it turned into the Chinese drive thru scene from Dude, Where's My Car? He got really mad at me.
I'll never forget in mutual one night we had this bogus activity where the RS room was made to look like the fuselage of an airplane. The plane crashes and we all die. Then we get taken to the chapel where we are taught and instructed. Part of that instruction were people coming in representing the different degrees of glory. The first group looks like hell. Nobody is interested. My dad comes in dressed in his basketball clothes representing the second group. He talks about how great it is to play ball all day with his perfected body. The celestial group is all dressed in temple whites and they are very reverent and solemn and talk about all the work they have to do. It was the ultimate back fire as everyone wanted to play basketball.
Dang.... this story just reminds me of how much ridiculousness my children are taught at church. I try to discuss with them what they learn, but more and more often I feel like I am becoming the voice of the faithless detractor just because I can't support the mythology they are so often subjected to.
Anyhow... my hope for the afterlife is that I'll be able to be in a place where I am surrounded by people who are loving and don't have any tendencies to hurt each other. I don't for a second believe that Utah is a "Zion" where we can all trust our "ward family" members. I also don't believe that, without extreme divine intervention, a place like that will exist anywhere on earth.
But... I'd like to hope that in the afterlife I will have ridded myself of my selfishness and that I'll get to be around other such people. Peace would be nice. Safety.... no hunger....no pain... no suffering..... I could go for all of these things. And if it really ever happens... I'm betting a large group of capable, unselfish, divine beings would find something really worthwhile and exciting to get involved in.
For me the point of speculating about the afterlife is having HOPE that I won't always have to live in a place where people are so hurtful towards each other.
My afterlife is pretty much like this, except college football saturdays are 6 months instead of 4 and it is a playoff. I have chores still, but all those poor bastards in the Telestial kingdom are knocking that out. Games don't start till I get back from kicking Lance Armstrong's ass on some hills, since he didn't make it to my level. Man he really should have beleived and he could have kept up with me, but now he finally had to give in to blood doping just to keep up.
But... I'd like to hope that in the afterlife I will have ridded myself of my selfishness and that I'll get to be around other such people. Peace would be nice. Safety.... no hunger....no pain... no suffering..... I could go for all of these things. And if it really ever happens... I'm betting a large group of capable, unselfish, divine beings would find something really worthwhile and exciting to get involved in.
For me the point of speculating about the afterlife is having HOPE that I won't always have to live in a place where people are so hurtful towards each other.
This concept of no pain and no suffering is interesting to me and has become increasingly interesting as I've seen those close to me pass away.
Several years ago I lost an aunt who had really just started getting her life together. She was married, had adopted two boys who were probably 6 and 8 when she died, maybe younger.
I've always wondered what she thought as she crossed over...because I can't imagine that the afterlife would be so calming and so peaceful as to make us void of emotion and pain in regards to the people we left behind...particularly young children.
"They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.
Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
I've always wondered what she thought as she crossed over...because I can't imagine that the afterlife would be so calming and so peaceful as to make us void of emotion and pain in regards to the people we left behind...particularly young children.
Good point... and one I'd have to agree with. I hope, then, that I will only feel empathic-like pain for the suffering of others who aren't in an exalted state. Hopefully my own personal suffering will have come to an end. Kind of a ridiculous hope considering that I'm also hoping I won't be selfish anymore.... It all sounded kind of selfish while I typed it.
Comment