TV as missionaries

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • grapevine
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 1990

    #1

    TV as missionaries

    I always make sure tv is off when missionaries are in my home. Some asked about games and such. I would glance at tv if games were on myself. Occasion drop by to see what was happening though I usually tried to glance away from tv.

    As a missionary what did you do. Turn tv off someone was watching (aspiring ap) Politely ask them to turn tv off (aspiring zone leader) Go to other room (aspiring district leader) Look away in room (aspiring area leader) WAtch it with them or make arrangements. aspiring junior companion.

    I remember stopping at office after zc once and mp called in missionaries someone told them they saw some of tv prgram at someones house. You don't tell mp stuff like that he has enough to worry about without self appointed mission presidents. Times when he said nothing. I could see buying or having tv in apartment mp going after but don't tattle on things like that in others homes.

    Some mps can authorize certian shows others won't though. I had good leaders too though some were power hungry. How did you deal with tvs that were on as a missionary?
  • SoonerCoug
    Joycelyn Elders Supporter
    • Nov 2008
    • 4680

    #2
    Originally posted by grapevine View Post
    As a missionary what did you do.
    I watched the NBA finals (Jazz vs. Bulls) with WashingtonCoug (companion at the time). Great memories, except for the fact that that Jazz lost. Here's how you write Stockton to Malone in Russian: Стоктон Малону.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

    http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

    Comment

    • Viking
      Banned
      • Jun 2009
      • 6470

      #3
      I was in Africa. TV? What TV?

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #4
        During the 1994 World Cup, we gave up trying to proselyte and just started watching the games with people. I watched TV most of the mission.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • grapevine
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 1990

          #5
          I went to Kmart to get some film and noticed the BYU Wyoming Wac Championship game on tv in the back so we watched tail end tell overtime than went to WML's pretending not to know anything about the game. I told somone in AFrica about it and he said I am glad to be away from temptations like BYU Football.

          But for TV I remember asking people who been to third world countries about tv and they said in some places that people would be dirt poor have hardly any electricity and have a tv. Interesting tv's in even the poorest of homes.

          I would on pday glance at paper to see who won nfl games day before and standings though I tried not to read articles. Once in lds dentist office picked up paper to see what Jazz's record was and LDS Dentist came and talked to me. WAsn't in ward I put it down real quick. I did call the information lines too to see how NFL, Jazz and BYU did. Technically no rule against that that is one you don't ask about. So did not violate letter of law. I don't know if those lines exist anymore that were in front of phone book.

          Just make sure it is free because one missinary made 90 calls from Tampa to St Petersburg I heard worrying about Hurricane and had to pay 22.50. 90 in one month. How would you like to explain that to PResident?

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #6
            I used to ask people if they'd turn off their tv for our discussions. But the novella has quite the power and was told no several times, so I just stopped asking and tried my best to ignore it. It was very tough to ignore Sister De Mornay in Risky Business playing in the background during a memorable discussion.

            I did watch most of the De La Hoya and Trinidad fight with about 50 people. That was a huge deal in the Hispanic communities. We were the guests of honor and given front row seats in front of the TV at this part member's home when we showed up. Difficult to refuse. My ZL's at the time were pissed and made me call the MP to tell him what I had done. My MP was pissed that the ZL's made me bother him with that. That was probably the most disobedient thing I ever did.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #7
              I asked CougarBoard type members to turn it off so they would think I was a good missionary. I made dinner appointments at CUF type members on game days so that I could watch the game or hit on their daughters.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                In Bolivia, there was relatively little temptation to watch TV. The local programming there consisted of 3 or 4 different annoying novelas (soap operas), local news, non-stop soccer, a few channels of snow, and a kids show from Brazil called "Nube Luz," aka, "Xou de Xuxa" (Show de Xuxa) which was basically soft-core porn with singing, dancing, and clips of American cartoons such as Disney stuff that was likely being shown illegally.

                The theme song was pretty catchy, actually. The host was a woman named "Xuxa," pronounced "shoo-sha." Pele's ex-girlfriend.

                When we were in a member's home, I didn't care about the novelas or the soccer. But I didn't mind catching some Xuxa.

                That annoying theme song....once it got in your head, you sang the chorus all day long. I'd be riding my bike or whatever and find myself singing...." oh oh oh...ilarie......oh oh oh ilarie......"

                Here is a grainy clip of the theme song from her show. It actually is crappy quality, but not far off from watching it live in the home of a Bolivian family. You can see girls wearing hot pants, bizarre animal costumes, and lots of on-stage chaos, all typical of South American programming.

                [YOUTUBE]DJX314oNSfQ[/YOUTUBE]
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • RobinFinderson
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10548

                  #9
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  In Bolivia, there was relatively little temptation to watch TV. The local programming there consisted of 3 or 4 different annoying novelas (soap operas), local news, non-stop soccer, a few channels of snow, and a kids show from Brazil called "Nube Luz," aka, "Xou de Xuxa" (Show de Xuxa) which was basically soft-core porn with singing, dancing, and clips of American cartoons such as Disney stuff that was likely being shown illegally.

                  The theme song was pretty catchy, actually. The host was a woman named "Xuxa," pronounced "shoo-sha." Pele's ex-girlfriend.

                  When we were in a member's home, I didn't care about the novelas or the soccer. But I didn't mind catching some Xuxa.

                  That annoying theme song....once it got in your head, you sang the chorus all day long. I'd be riding my bike or whatever and find myself singing...." oh oh oh...ilarie......oh oh oh ilarie......"

                  Here is a grainy clip of the theme song from her show. It actually is crappy quality, but not far off from watching it live in the home of a Bolivian family. You can see girls wearing hot pants, bizarre animal costumes, and lots of on-stage chaos, all typical of South American programming.

                  [YOUTUBE]DJX314oNSfQ[/YOUTUBE]
                  At BYU I remember an RM with Xuxa posters on his wall. Also, how many blondies are in Bolivia? It seems like half of the cast of that show are the grandchildren of the third reich.

                  Comment

                  • RC Vikings
                    Known Heterosexual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8789

                    #10
                    Saturday night is Hockey Night in Canada and really a bad time to knock on anybodies door so we would go upstairs and watch the game with our non-member landlords.

                    Comment

                    • LiveCoug
                      LA Ute loves me
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 18488

                      #11
                      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      During the 1994 World Cup, we gave up trying to proselyte and just started watching the games with people. I watched TV most of the mission.
                      I was in Sweden during the '98 World Cup. We couldn't do anything during that time.

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #12
                        Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                        At BYU I remember an RM with Xuxa posters on his wall. Also, how many blondies are in Bolivia? It seems like half of the cast of that show are the grandchildren of the third reich.
                        It is a Brazilian show, hence the Portuguese.

                        And many folks in Brazil and Argentina ARE descendants of the Third Reich. To make sure, check under their left armpit.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Clark Addison
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10305

                          #13
                          In Hong Kong, we never got American sports, so I didn't need to worry about that.

                          Most of the places that people lived in, especially the places we tracked in, were very small, so you could usually see the TV from the front door of the apartment. Also, when I was there (late 80s), most people had few channels. So if there was an exciting "novella" type of show on, most people would be watching it. I got into a few of them, and watched a large chunk of them, 30 seconds at a time, watching through the front door as my companion went through his spiel.

                          Comment

                          • Drunk Tank
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 2569

                            #14
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            During the 1994 World Cup, we gave up trying to proselyte and just started watching the games with people. I watched TV most of the mission.
                            Same here. Although I was in Queens at the time. Everybody shut down during the World Cup matches. Then afterwards, there would be the hoopla, screaming, fighting, gunshots in the street depending on if the right team won or lost. It was cool because we had Italians, Greeks, Mexicans, Colombians, Brazilians, etc...in our area. Also of note, no matter how shitty the apaertment building or apartment furnishings were, most families kids were wearing Tommy Hilfiger and they all had huge Sony TV's.
                            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                            Comment

                            • il Padrino Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19161

                              #15
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              In Bolivia, there was relatively little temptation to watch TV. The local programming there consisted of 3 or 4 different annoying novelas (soap operas), local news, non-stop soccer, a few channels of snow, and a kids show from Brazil called "Nube Luz," aka, "Xou de Xuxa" (Show de Xuxa) which was basically soft-core porn with singing, dancing, and clips of American cartoons such as Disney stuff that was likely being shown illegally.

                              The theme song was pretty catchy, actually. The host was a woman named "Xuxa," pronounced "shoo-sha." Pele's ex-girlfriend.

                              When we were in a member's home, I didn't care about the novelas or the soccer. But I didn't mind catching some Xuxa.

                              That annoying theme song....once it got in your head, you sang the chorus all day long. I'd be riding my bike or whatever and find myself singing...." oh oh oh...ilarie......oh oh oh ilarie......"

                              Here is a grainy clip of the theme song from her show. It actually is crappy quality, but not far off from watching it live in the home of a Bolivian family. You can see girls wearing hot pants, bizarre animal costumes, and lots of on-stage chaos, all typical of South American programming.

                              [youtube]DJX314oNSfQ[/youtube]
                              It's Chi Chi Marin on the Xuxa show!

                              [youtube]Tzxtxr4dijw[/youtube]
                              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                              Comment

                              Working...