"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
    On balance I like the change. I realize I'm old, but when I was on my mission we couldn't call home period - not on Christmas or Mother's Day. The only exception I remember is when my companion was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer. The mission pres told him to call his parents after we had seen the doctors and he did.

I don't know if the "No Call" rule had changed by the time JL got to Japan. I understand he served in Osaka a couple of yrs after me.
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    No I could not call home either.
    Holy crap. How old are you guys?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      1971-73. I was an exception, but I had one call, a month before the end to coordinate my parents’ pick-up visit and trip home. Otherwise, only communications were week-old letters.

Comment

• Oct 76-Oct 78

Christ was a corporal
        Last edited by happyone; 02-16-2019, 12:38 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Older than dirt. Younger than PAC.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
            On balance I like the change. I realize I'm old, but when I was on my mission we couldn't call home period - not on Christmas or Mother's Day. The only exception I remember is when my companion was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer. The mission pres told him to call his parents after we had seen the doctors and he did.

I don't know if the "No Call" rule had changed by the time JL got to Japan. I understand he served in Osaka a couple of yrs after me.
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            No I could not call home either.
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            1971-73. I was an exception, but I had one call, a month before the end to coordinate my parents’ pick-up visit and trip home. Otherwise, only communications were week-old letters.
            Wow.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I’m happy about the change but I’m more happy about a trend that looks like we have moved the church forward in time from the early ‘80s where it had apparently become stuck. I’m still waiting for my tank top garments though.

Comment

I am pretty much the same age as Lebowski and was allowed to call home at Christmas and Mothers Day.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• FTR, at the time it cost about five bucks a minute for a phone call from Japan to the states.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    FTR, at the time it cost about five bucks a minute for a phone call from Japan to the states.
                    I had an uncle who was a welder so money was no object.

That, and I was in Quebec so it cost a lot less.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      I am pretty much the same age as Lebowski and was allowed to call home at Christmas and Mothers Day.
                      #wimp
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• While I think this is a positive change, I do have some concerns. My sons were a little older than most when they left on their missions (19.5 & 21.5) so the cord had been cut. With both of them I had to "encourage" them to email every P-Day because their mother would get upset when they wouldn't email every week or when they did, would not say much in their emails. Having served a mission, I had a better understanding of missionary life, but my wife seemed to be living missionary life vicariously through her sons. With the change, a lot of Moms are going to expect that weekly video chat that their sons may not be all that enthused to participate in.
                        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                          While I think this is a positive change, I do have some concerns. My sons were a little older than most when they left on their missions (19.5 & 21.5) so the cord had been cut. With both of them I had to "encourage" them to email every P-Day because their mother would get upset when they wouldn't email every week or when they did, would not say much in their emails. Having served a mission, I had a better understanding of missionary life, but my wife seemed to be living missionary life vicariously through her sons. With the change, a lot of Moms are going to expect that weekly video chat that their sons may not be all that enthused to participate in.
                          I have already tried to temper my wife's expectations. I told her once a month video chat would be the most I would have been willing to accept.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                            While I think this is a positive change, I do have some concerns. My sons were a little older than most when they left on their missions (19.5 & 21.5) so the cord had been cut. With both of them I had to "encourage" them to email every P-Day because their mother would get upset when they wouldn't email every week or when they did, would not say much in their emails. Having served a mission, I had a better understanding of missionary life, but my wife seemed to be living missionary life vicariously through her sons. With the change, a lot of Moms are going to expect that weekly video chat that their sons may not be all that enthused to participate in.
                            I hadn't written home in about 3 weeks. There was a transfer, and other stuff happened, and I just hadn't got a letter out.

My dad called the mission office, who provided him with my apartment phone number. We spoke just long enough for him to tell me to write my mother.

Comment

• What's most amazing is that it's viewed as progressive when the Mormon Church decides to allow a missionary to do something so basic as call his/her parents.

I called my parents all the time on my mission. But I had to do it while my companion was in the shower in order to stay out of trouble. Just think for a moment about how remarkable that statement is. I had to hide the fact I was talking to my parents so that I wouldn't be reported to superiors for talking to my parents. I called my parents because I understood that the ban on speaking to family (save twice yearly) was fundamentally evil and an immoral abuse of Church power--intended to psychologically isolate missionaries.

If a kid doesn't call home, that's his/her choice. You don't prohibit people from calling their family on any basis whatsoever. Even people in federal penitentiaries get to call their parents.

If the Church were really about family, then talking to family would be a priority. Instead, family is such a big priority that you only get to call them with permission.

Once they grant permission to call once a week intead of twice yearly, most members of the Church respond by saying: "Look how great the Church is! Look how great our prophet is! We are allowed to call family now!" It's almost like the king being admired for giving food to people that were previously on a king-imposed starvation diet.
                              Last edited by ByronMarchant; 02-17-2019, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                                What's most amazing is that it's viewed as progressive when the Mormon Church decides to allow a missionary to do something so basic as call his/her parents.

I called my parents all the time on my mission. But I had to do it while my companion was in the shower in order to stay out of trouble. Just think for a moment about how remarkable that statement is. I had to hide the fact I was talking to my parents so that I wouldn't be reported to superiors for talking to my parents. I called my parents because I understood that the ban on speaking to family (save twice yearly) was fundamentally evil and an immoral abuse of Church power--intended to psychologically isolate missionaries.

If a kid doesn't call home, that's his/her choice. You don't prohibit people from calling their family on any basis whatsoever. Even people in federal penitentiaries get to call their parents.

If the Church were really about family, then talking to family would be a priority. Instead, family is such a big priority that you only get to call them with permission.

Once they grant permission to call once a week intead of twice yearly, most members of the Church respond by saying: "Look how great the Church is! Look how great our prophet is! We are allowed to call family now!" It's almost like the king being admired for giving food to people that were previously on a king-imposed starvation diet.
                                Man you got saddled with some uptight companions.

Comment

Working...
                                X