No announcement yet.

"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Church needs to revoke temple recommends from anti-vaxxers. I hope every Bishop is setting up "vax settlement" interviews, with hypodermics and RNA vaccines and nurses on site. Were I the prophet, that would be underway already.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• April 2020 - I'm glad we have a world renowned surgeon leading us at this time and through this pandemic.

August 2021 - Hell no, I'm not getting the vaccine.

The struggle with the orthodox Mormon, anti-vaxxer today hopefully will teach them to be more tolerant of others.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        The Church needs to revoke temple recommends from anti-vaxxers. I hope every Bishop is setting up "vax settlement" interviews, with hypodermics and RNA vaccines and nurses on site. Were I the prophet, that would be underway already.
        Way to go asshole. You stay in the church and you'd easily be in the Q12 and this would be happening. You'd be the prominent uncle worrying sportswriters. Now the world suffers just so you could have a drink and chase tail.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

Way to go asshole. You stay in the church and you'd easily be in the Q12 and this would be happening. You'd be the prominent uncle worrying sportswriters. Now the world suffers just so you could have a drink and chase tail.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

I actually ceased activity in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because it’s false and makes claims that are factually wrong and misleading. Joseph Smith was a pedophile and a really bad man. That’s a pretty good reason for members to become non-members, it’s really not due to desire to have a drink.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry “Moose” Stubing View Post

I actually ceased activity in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because it’s false and makes claims that are factually wrong and misleading. Joseph Smith was a pedophile and a really bad man. That’s a pretty good reason for members to become non-members, it’s really not due to desire to have a drink.

Comment

• An important result of the Church’s new vaccine commandment (the 11th Commandment? A new clause in the Word of Wisdom?), intended or unintended, is that Mormons now can’t claim religious exemptions from vaccine mandates. This isn’t really my field, but I understand that Civil Rights laws allow religious exemptions, but they have to be legitimate. The employers can investigate the legitimacy of the faith and purported religious dogma. No vaccine exemptions for cults and kooks. LDS now have to get vaccinated, or get fired, no school or college, restaurants or football games in many places.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

An important result of the Church’s new vaccine commandment (the 11th Commandment? A new clause in the Word of Wisdom?), intended or unintended, is that Mormons now can’t claim religious exemptions from vaccine mandates. This isn’t really my field, but I understand that Civil Rights laws allow religious exemptions, but they have to be legitimate. The employers can investigate the legitimacy of the faith and purported religious dogma. No vaccine exemptions for cults and kooks. LDS now have to get vaccinated, or get fired, no school or college, restaurants or football games in many places.
                  I consider it another Proclamation. I'm going to get it framed and embroidered and hang it alongside my Family Proclamation.

"The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

An important result of the Church’s new vaccine commandment (the 11th Commandment? A new clause in the Word of Wisdom?), intended or unintended, is that Mormons now can’t claim religious exemptions from vaccine mandates. This isn’t really my field, but I understand that Civil Rights laws allow religious exemptions, but they have to be legitimate. The employers can investigate the legitimacy of the faith and purported religious dogma. No vaccine exemptions for cults and kooks. LDS now have to get vaccinated, or get fired, no school or college, restaurants or football games in many places.
                    If nothing else, I am enjoying SU's recent humility here. Keep it up!

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Haha. If only. There's room enough in the LDS tent for personal religious beliefs that may or may not align with proclamations. I guess the bottom line is this: is it doctrine?

Comment

• My inactive daughter (an RN) who lives in SLC is very frustrated by the anti-mask crowd there, resentful that the non-masking kids may infect her kindergartner and pre-schooler. She asked, "Why do they wear garments but can't wear a mask?" I withheld my first thought, that garments are a shield and a protection to the wearer but masks are not, because I'm not a complete doofus.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          My inactive daughter (an RN) who lives in SLC is very frustrated by the anti-mask crowd there, resentful that the non-masking kids may infect her kindergartner and pre-schooler. She asked, "Why do they wear garments but can't wear a mask?" I withheld my first thought, that garments are a shield and a protection to the wearer but masks are not, because I'm not a complete doofus.
                          Ever since Flystripper went a bit bonkers on the unvaccinated about the reinstitution of California anti-pandemic spread measures I have been mildly intrigued at the attitude towards those skeptical of vaccinations. Brother Wuap even had a strongly worded Facebook Open Mic Sunday declaration demanding all those persuaded by these philosophies to unfriend him. I wonder if he has time to delete it before the Woke crowd come and get him:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...utm_source=msn

I knew eventually we would discover that somebody's favorite protected class would make up enough of the anti-vaxxers that the angered enlightened could no longer collectively mock them in their echo chambers. I was once hopeful that we could maintain our righteous indignation towards irresponsible people, but deep down inside I knew it would not be.
                          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Ever since Flystripper went a bit bonkers on the unvaccinated about the reinstitution of California anti-pandemic spread measures I have been mildly intrigued at the attitude towards those skeptical of vaccinations. Brother Wuap even had a strongly worded Facebook Open Mic Sunday declaration demanding all those persuaded by these philosophies to unfriend him. I wonder if he has time to delete it before the Woke crowd come and get him:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...utm_source=msn

I knew eventually we would discover that somebody's favorite protected class would make up enough of the anti-vaxxers that the angered enlightened could no longer collectively mock them in their echo chambers. I was once hopeful that we could maintain our righteous indignation towards irresponsible people, but deep down inside I knew it would not be.
                            Nope. They are all the same in this respect. They are equally benighted in refusing the Covid vaccine. I'm really not interested in considering what an diverse lot they are. I don't care about thier idiot reasons. Government and employers are responding as they must: if you don't get vaccinated, you lose your job, you don't go to football games, to restaurants, travel. You have no life.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

My inactive daughter (an RN) who lives in SLC is very frustrated by the anti-mask crowd there, resentful that the non-masking kids may infect her kindergartner and pre-schooler. She asked, "Why do they wear garments but can't wear a mask?" I withheld my first thought, that garments are a shield and a protection to the wearer but masks are not, because I'm not a complete doofus.
                              It's baffling to me (not the whole garments are a shield thing). Angels, polygamy, denying the priesthood to classes of people, etc., and masks and vaccinations are the bridges too far?
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Someone should capitalize on this and make masks out of old garments.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X