No announcement yet.

"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was selected for Order of the arrow. There will be people you know going in Fall. Football will begin. There are more important things in life than football. Mentioned it during start of school year. Appendectomy kept me from making either choice. Was able to watch BYU come back against Washington. Wireless tv hadn’t made it to rural Idaho yet, so antenna for four stations and some neighbors had satellite dishes.

barely missed state game but had play in game for b-ball. Many players didn’t want to go. Go up to Rexburg early in morning, come home late and get up early to go to Mountain Home. Your supporting the FFA. I didn’t get much playing time anyway. Only went to livestock center so not on campus to brown nose admissions office. Made it to Ricks though. Got clobbered in Mountain Home.

Go to mutual or b-ball practice. We have auxiliary gym now so no conflict. Gym ran all day and that was problem conflicts there. Our ads try to keep Monday and Wednesday free. Some practices take place though. Conflict is inevitable.

I remember reading a story Vaughn J. Featherstone told of someone that played football instead of gathering fast offerings and needy people in bed because they were cold or starving next day. Pleasure over duty.

when I went to get my appendix out BYU just beat Miami and in hospital room espn guy said when Joseph Smith gave Brigham Young the Book of Mormon he also gave him the Mormon playbook. Why I was waiting for surgery.

no more eight o clock Saturday games for BYU. May still do the Friday game then. Boise State had an eight o clock gam3 during priesthood. Wonder if People watched priesthood at institute than watched game.

no more Friday conflicts. When Blaze were in town and Jazz when they have games may get extra attendance conference weekend.

Howard Hunter was not much of a sports fan but went to BYU Utah game with son Conference weekend. Staring at midfield when action a5 ten yard line. Just got called to be Apostle so wasn’t paying attention to game. They played that game in October then.

Comment

• Wait, so your chapel had two gyms?

I'm wondering if fast offerings gathered today get distributed to the needy the next day. Seems difficult to do. And do they even gather fast offerings anymore? They never come to my house. Is it online now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Wait, so your chapel had two gyms?

I'm wondering if fast offerings gathered today get distributed to the needy the next day. Seems difficult to do. And do they even gather fast offerings anymore? They never come to my house. Is it online now?
        Yes, they gather fast offerings, although not since pandemic restrictions went into place. Yes, you can donate online.
        No, fast offerings today don't get distributed the next day. They get deposited into a bank account and swept into Church Headquarters pretty much immediately. By official church policy, the amount of fast offering checks that the ward cuts have no relationship to the funds that have been collected by that particular ward.

That doesn't mean that, though, that a ward can go crazy. Stake presidents like to show positive cash flow and will tend towards counseling bishops with negative cash flow.

Comment

• School does, small crummy gym we played in. Bigger gym and auxiliary gym. Competing with school always problem. That fo story probably took place decades ago. Bishops may be talked too of Fast offerings are in the red.

Comment

• https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...MietnIrwFhprbg

Does this count as a root beer holding occasion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
              https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...MietnIrwFhprbg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              That's a decent amount of cash for something not directly connected to the church. Good for them.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• I like it, kudos to the church.
                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• I like it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                    https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...MietnIrwFhprbg

That is really cool. Very happy to see it.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• RMN/DHO/HBE says get the vax.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...19-august-2021

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            And the replies to the tweet in which that was announced were so toxic that they turned off replies within like 30 minutes.

Comment

• CB has been so fun for the last hour.

I hope you all noticed that they "urged" us, not "commanded" us.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post

And the replies to the tweet in which that was announced were so toxic that they turned off replies within like 30 minutes.
                                It really bums me out that there's that much anger on this subject.

Comment

Working...
                                X