Zero-hour church

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ByronMarchant
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2015
    • 360

    #1

    Zero-hour church

    If two-hour church is better than three-hour church, just imagine how exciting zero-hour church could be!

    President Nelson is your Gorbachev, and this is your perestroika. We should all celebrate.
    Last edited by ByronMarchant; 10-06-2018, 07:40 PM.
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 38003

    #2
    Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    If two-hour church is better than three-hour church, just imagine how exciting zero-hour church could be!

    President Nelson is your Gorbachev, and this is your perestroika. We should all celebrate.
    Zero hour church is no church. Zero multiplied by anything is zero. As a scientist, I'm surprised you didn't know that.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #3
      I keep hearing my exmo friends (in sooner's case, relatives) making similar comments- problem is, i like church- that is why i attend. I'd rather 3 hours than zero hours. But 2 hours is the sweet spot. Even 1 hour would be too short.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27899

        #4
        Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        I keep hearing my exmo friends (in sooner's case, relatives) making similar comments- problem is, i like church- that is why i attend. I'd rather 3 hours than zero hours. But 2 hours is the sweet spot. Even 1 hour would be too short.


        It’s typical of exmos like Byron to assume that what they want is what everyone wants. That’s why they are wrong so often.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • CardiacCoug
          вот так штука
          • Nov 2008
          • 11013

          #5
          I agree that 2 hour church is the sweet spot particularly for the elderly and parents of small kids. Two-hour church makes it a lot more palatable to tack on ward choir or another meeting before or after the block as well.

          Clearly there will also be huge savings in the number of church buildings that need to be constructed/maintained although that I’m sure was not the main motivation for this.

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #6
            Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            I keep hearing my exmo friends (in sooner's case, relatives) making similar comments- problem is, i like church- that is why i attend. I'd rather 3 hours than zero hours. But 2 hours is the sweet spot. Even 1 hour would be too short.
            I believe you mean ex-Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saintians.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • Northwestcoug
              Cocked and Loaded
              • May 2011
              • 18039

              #7
              Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              I believe you mean ex-Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saintians.
              I like the effort, and it is very original. But it sounds a little too close to Santiam
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

              Comment

              • smokymountainrain
                Impressive Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22593

                #8
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                I believe you mean ex-Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saintians.
                exactly what i meant!
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

                Comment

                • old_gregg
                  scaly man fish
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 16915

                  #9
                  Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  I believe you mean ex-Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saintians.
                  i for one appreciate that your commitment to making jesus happy and satan sad exceeds your hesitance to offend.
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                  Comment

                  • CJF
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8497

                    #10
                    I sometimes look at unfamiliar thread titles and guess the author before clicking on it. I’m batting 1.000 with Byron’s threads.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                    Comment

                    • cowboy
                      Homer Weems
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 5740

                      #11
                      BM, if the church is so awful, then there must be a better alternative, and you must have found it. Tell us what you've done with the three hours and 10% pay increase to make people's lives better. Mind you, these must be mutually exclusive; service that would/could be done and still be a TR-holding member don't count.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

                      Comment

                      • clackamascoug
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 9709

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        I like the effort, and it is very original. But it sounds a little too close to Santiam
                        Nah... I'll give him a pass on that one.

                        Comment

                        • ByronMarchant
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2015
                          • 360

                          #13
                          Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                          BM, if the church is so awful, then there must be a better alternative, and you must have found it. Tell us what you've done with the three hours and 10% pay increase to make people's lives better. Mind you, these must be mutually exclusive; service that would/could be done and still be a TR-holding member don't count.
                          Cowboy:

                          You do not really know me or what I do.

                          You do not know how I donate my time to others or where my money and time have gone.

                          You do not know whose lives I have affected or how.

                          And I will pray in my closet (figuratively).

                          Comment

                          • The_Tick
                            Made something of myself
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7297

                            #14
                            Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                            Cowboy:

                            You do not really know me or what I do.

                            You do not know how I donate my time to others or where my money and time have gone.

                            You do not know whose lives I have affected or how.

                            And I will pray in my closet (figuratively).
                            How’s your Social Media fast go?

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #15
                              Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                              Cowboy:

                              You do not really know me or what I do.

                              You do not know how I donate my time to others or where my money and time have gone.

                              You do not know whose lives I have affected or how.

                              And I will pray in my closet (figuratively).
                              Ummm, what don't you understand about "Tell us what you've done with the three hours and 10% pay increase to make people's lives better."?

                              cowboy is asking you to tell us more about you. Like how you donate your time to others and where your money and time have gone, and like whose lives you have affected and how.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              Working...