LDS Racism?? Eh...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The Fourth Nephite
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 781

    #1

    LDS Racism?? Eh...

    OK, I'm sick of hearing about LDS racism because of the former priesthood ban for blacks.

    What's worse?

    A- 150 years of not allowing blacks to hold the priesthood.

    B- 200+ years of slavery, torture, barbarism, etc.

    It's a no-brainer. Obviously A is LDS, but B is Baptists and Catholics and a whole buncha other churches that supported slavery. Compared to them, the LDS church was downright liberal and tolerant.
    "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug
  • RockyBalboa
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 2127

    #2
    6.6

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15680

      #3
      Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
      OK, I'm sick of hearing about LDS racism because of the former priesthood ban for blacks.

      What's worse?

      A- 150 years of not allowing blacks to hold the priesthood.

      B- 200+ years of slavery, torture, barbarism, etc.

      It's a no-brainer. Obviously A is LDS, but B is Baptists and Catholics and a whole buncha other churches that supported slavery. Compared to them, the LDS church was downright liberal and tolerant.
      Utah was a slave territory, you know. Mormons voted to make it a slave territory.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • byu71
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22070

        #4
        Anybody have the ability to block SU from seeing this thread?

        Comment

        • The Fourth Nephite
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 781

          #5
          Originally posted by All-American View Post
          Utah was a slave territory, you know. Mormons voted to make it a slave territory.
          I can't imagine that there were more than a handful of mormon-owned slaves in Utah, or anywhere for that matter.

          The 1850 Census listed 26 slaves in Utah and it looks like 11 of them were owned by non-mormons.
          Last edited by The Fourth Nephite; 07-11-2009, 10:59 PM.
          "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

          Comment

          • Jarid in Cedar
            CS Institutional Memory
            • Jun 2009
            • 13234

            #6
            Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
            OK, I'm sick of hearing about LDS racism because of the former priesthood ban for blacks.

            What's worse?

            A- 150 years of not allowing blacks to hold the priesthood.

            B- 200+ years of slavery, torture, barbarism, etc.

            It's a no-brainer. Obviously A is LDS, but B is Baptists and Catholics and a whole buncha other churches that supported slavery. Compared to them, the LDS church was downright liberal and tolerant.
            Good to see we are the "Cream of the Crap".
            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

            -Rick Majerus

            Comment

            • il Padrino Ute
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 19161

              #7
              Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
              Good to see we are the "Cream of the Crap".
              Very nice.
              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

              Comment

              • The Fourth Nephite
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 781

                #8
                I'm not saying that it was great or anything. I'm just saying that the Church gets a lot of flack but other religions were much worse when it came to slavery but that has largely been forgotten by society.
                "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
                  I can't imagine that there were more than a handful of mormon-owned slaves in Utah, or anywhere for that matter.

                  The 1850 Census listed 26 slaves in Utah and it looks like 11 of them were owned by non-mormons.
                  It is much like Utah leading the country in google search terms like "pornography" and "lingerie."

                  Most of the searches are being done by non-mormons living in liberal SLC and Park City, I bet.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • All-American
                    Right, as Usual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 15680

                    #10
                    Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
                    I can't imagine that there were more than a handful of mormon-owned slaves in Utah, or anywhere for that matter.

                    The 1850 Census listed 26 slaves in Utah and it looks like 11 of them were owned by non-mormons.
                    Makes you wonder why Mormons voted to keep slavery legal in Utah, doesn't it?
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                    Comment

                    • The Fourth Nephite
                      Junior Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 781

                      #11
                      Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      Makes you wonder why Mormons voted to keep slavery legal in Utah, doesn't it?
                      Maybe for the same reason they voted for prohibition.

                      Now, geez, I'm not saying Mormons from 100 years ago weren't racist. All I'm saying is that as far as racist church members go, Mormons aren't even in the top 10.
                      "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #12
                        1978 Dude.....1978. I was five. 1978.

                        That's why.
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • byu71
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22070

                          #13
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          1978 Dude.....1978. I was five. 1978.

                          That's why.
                          but, even for those who considered it racism, like the other churches the practice no longer exists. Why can't people let it go.

                          Comment

                          • Jarid in Cedar
                            CS Institutional Memory
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 13234

                            #14
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            1978 Dude.....1978. I was five. 1978.

                            That's why.
                            Great point Wuap.

                            No one is denying the racism of the entire country through the course of our history, but when others were starting to figure it out, the LDS church was still stuck in 1920.
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                            -Rick Majerus

                            Comment

                            • The Fourth Nephite
                              Junior Member
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 781

                              #15
                              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              1978 Dude.....1978. I was five. 1978.

                              That's why.
                              I still think denying the priesthood to all until 1978 is much less horrible than enslaving, torturing and killing many until 1860 something. And it only stopped then because of a government ban. Not only that, racism was institutionalized in many parts of the country through the 1960s and beyond. We're talking lynchings, civil rights violations, murders, rapes, etc. that were very common in the south.

                              So when it comes down to it, were talking a difference of, what, 10 years? 15?
                              "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

                              Comment

                              Working...