9 AM Press Conference

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CardiacCoug
    вот так штука
    • Nov 2008
    • 11013

    #136
    Originally posted by All-American View Post
    I just realized something. With President Monson's passing, there has now been 100% turnover in the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve over the course of my lifetime.
    I remember very clearly watching on TV when Presidents Nelson and Oaks were called into the Q12.

    I agree with what Applejack said that to talk about liberal versus conservative is kind of silly. Calling the Silver Fox a liberal is like calling John Roberts a liberal.

    Comment

    • PaloAltoCougar
      Semper infra dignitatem
      • Nov 2008
      • 16938

      #137
      Originally posted by All-American View Post
      I just realized something. With President Monson's passing, there has now been 100% turnover in the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve over the course of my lifetime.
      I hadn't thought about it until your post, but I went back and discovered my 100% turnover date was in 1988 when Marion G. Romney passed away.

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69716

        #138
        DFU seems crushed by his demotion.

        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Eddie
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 8098

          #139
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          DFU seems crushed by his demotion.
          Bishoprics and Stake Presidencies around the world joyfully await the day that they are likewise crushed.

          So - my boss came into my office not long after the press conference and talked about how great it was. President Nelson's answers were great. President Oaks just has a way of being very clear and straightforward. President Eyring's comments on millennials were spot on....

          Then later in the day the gay guy comes into my office to tell me what a trainwreck the press conference was. They weren't prepared to answer even the easiest of softball questions lobbed at them by predominantly LDS reporters...the whole thing was a set up and they still couldn't get it right. The wrong guy is President...

          Ha! Made me chuckle a little the difference in their perspectives that are SO far from each other.

          Comment

          • Pelado
            Bald not naked
            • Sep 2010
            • 21143

            #140
            Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Bishoprics and Stake Presidencies around the world joyfully await the day that they are likewise crushed.

            So - my boss came into my office not long after the press conference and talked about how great it was. President Nelson's answers were great. President Oaks just has a way of being very clear and straightforward. President Eyring's comments on millennials were spot on....

            Then later in the day the gay guy comes into my office to tell me what a trainwreck the press conference was. They weren't prepared to answer even the easiest of softball questions lobbed at them by predominantly LDS reporters...the whole thing was a set up and they still couldn't get it right. The wrong guy is President...

            Ha! Made me chuckle a little the difference in their perspectives that are SO far from each other.
            So when are the three of you getting together to sort it all out?

            Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

            Comment

            • MartyFunkhouser
              Disciple of RNGesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 18754

              #141
              We can argue all we want about the demotion of DFU being a sign or not. I personally doubt that it was any sign.

              What is unfortunate though is that the most hateful, divisive, and hardline individual in the Quorum of the 12 is now 1st counselor. Oaks talk from the last conference was incredibly divisive. He has consistently been hostile towards both LGBTQ and women.

              The fact that Nelson was willing to put that person as his first counselor isn't a great indicator that the already snails pace of progress in the church will continue. It may halt all together and it may even regress at this point.
              Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 01-17-2018, 11:11 AM.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

              Comment

              • smokymountainrain
                Impressive Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22593

                #142
                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Same for everyone born after 1963, right?
                well, between 1963 and 1984
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

                Comment

                • MartyFunkhouser
                  Disciple of RNGesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 18754

                  #143
                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Definitely true. DFU was in the first presidency when the latest policy on baptizing kids of LGBT parents was issued. If he were really that progressive, he wouldn't have supported it.

                  I'll miss DFU mostly because I think he brings a perspective that didn't exist. One of an outsider. He reminded me more of the people I met in France than the Utah Mormons I grew up with. One's not better than the other, but it was nice for the Europeans to have a voice they could more closely relate to...and they'll still have that but not in as high of a capacity. My hope, which is probably in vain, is that the new apostles called will be Causse and then one from south america. But chances are, they'll be white men from the good 'ol USA.
                  Great point. I don't think progressive is the right term for Uchtdorf. I did tend to enjoy his talks though. I'm seriously reconsidering attending Priesthood session with my family anymore. Uchtdorf made it tolerable because I could typically enjoy the message that he presented. It isn't going to be easy to listen to a lineup of Eyring-Oaks-Nelson, Oaks in particular.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

                  Comment

                  • Topper
                    Pre-Historic Man
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 11764

                    #144
                    Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    Great point. I don't think progressive is the right term for Uchtdorf. I did tend to enjoy his talks though. I'm seriously reconsidering attending Priesthood session with my family anymore. Uchtdorf made it tolerable because I could typically enjoy the message that he presented. It isn't going to be easy to listen to a lineup of Eyring-Oaks-Nelson, Oaks in particular.
                    I now resort to reading rather than listening. That way one can pick and choose; whereas listening requires one to wait.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                    Comment

                    • old_gregg
                      scaly man fish
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 16915

                      #145
                      Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                      Great point. I don't think progressive is the right term for Uchtdorf. I did tend to enjoy his talks though. I'm seriously reconsidering attending Priesthood session with my family anymore. Uchtdorf made it tolerable because I could typically enjoy the message that he presented. It isn't going to be easy to listen to a lineup of Eyring-Oaks-Nelson, Oaks in particular.
                      just go fall asleep like the rest of us
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                      Comment

                      • DrumNFeather
                        Invisible Swordsman
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8854

                        #146
                        Grab a burger and watch it at home. It's the only way to go.
                        "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

                        Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

                        Comment

                        • MartyFunkhouser
                          Disciple of RNGesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 18754

                          #147
                          Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          just go fall asleep like the rest of us
                          I have certainly considered this strategy, but I've never perfected falling asleep in those damn uncomfortable chairs.

                          Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                          Grab a burger and watch it at home. It's the only way to go.
                          My father is old school, watching at home is not acceptable. It must be watched in the Stake Center.

                          Either way, Oaks is awful. Who am I kidding, I will keep going to the damn thing.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

                          Comment

                          • smokymountainrain
                            Impressive Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22593

                            #148
                            that's good of you, funk.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

                            Comment

                            • Applejack
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • 3813

                              #149
                              Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                              I have certainly considered this strategy, but I've never perfected falling asleep in those damn uncomfortable chairs.



                              My father is old school, watching at home is not acceptable. It must be watched in the Stake Center.

                              Either way, Oaks is awful. Who am I kidding, I will keep going to the damn thing.
                              Funk still attends priesthood???? I consider myself active, but all the inactives on this board who listen to conference, go to priesthood, and pay 5% tithing are making me reconsider my status.

                              Comment

                              • Art Vandelay
                                Striving for mediocrity
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 10516

                                #150
                                Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                                I have certainly considered this strategy, but I've never perfected falling asleep in those damn uncomfortable chairs.

                                My father is old school, watching at home is not acceptable. It must be watched in the Stake Center.

                                Either way, Oaks is awful. Who am I kidding, I will keep going to the damn thing.
                                That sounds terrible. Having to spend 90-120 minutes once a year with your dad listening to things like serving others, improving your relationship with your wife or kids, etc. I'm sure the real hell is turning to your neighbor to filibuster about IPAs, only to discover he thinks your talking about some kind of stock offering. We all have our crosses to bear, man #pray4funk

                                Comment

                                Working...