Just wanted to give '71 another reason to complain about the Honor Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

If that's the place I'm thinking of (and how many pizza/movie rental places could there be?), they started a membership option that included edited movies. My wife and I did an unlimited membership, but we could only have one video checked out at a time. In addition to grabbing a pizza (which I think were $5 at the time) we would easily go through 2+ movies per day when I didn't have classes.
    It was just across from the Fieldhouse parking lot, East of the old Hardees/Burger King (that is now a Starbucks) on Canyon Rd.

Comment

If that's the place I'm thinking of (and how many pizza/movie rental places could there be?), they started a membership option that included edited movies. My wife and I did an unlimited membership, but we could only have one video checked out at a time. In addition to grabbing a pizza (which I think were $5 at the time) we would easily go through 2+ movies per day when I didn't have classes.
      I don't remember any edited movies. May have changed later, I guess.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I don't remember any edited movies. May have changed later, I guess.
        I'm guessing the edited movies thing was in the late 90s or early 00s when the Clean Cut/Clean Flicks wave was in full swing.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post

It was just across from the Fieldhouse parking lot, East of the old Hardees/Burger King (that is now a Starbucks) on Canyon Rd.
          Then it's not the one I was thinking of - but I remember going there now.

After some sleuthing on the internet, I think I found the name/location of the membership video rental spot - Cougar Video on 1720 North just off of State Street, though the Google Maps doesn't present the buildings there how I remember the store.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

I'm guessing the edited movies thing was in the late 90s or early 00s when the Clean Cut/Clean Flicks wave was in full swing.
            Would have been between 2000-2002.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Would have been between 2000-2002.
              As I suspected. By then, JL was ordering the most expensive pizza in P-town, Brick Oven. (Note I did not say the best pizza, as Brick Oven's pizza crust is pretty average, and their overly-sweet pizza sauce is not good).
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

As I suspected. By then, JL was ordering the most expensive pizza in P-town, Brick Oven. (Note I did not say the best pizza, as Brick Oven's pizza crust is pretty average, and their overly-sweet pizza sauce is not good).
                Ha.

Yeah, my Sounds Easy days were ~82-86.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• I think Sounds Easy was gone by about the year 2000. Edit: I was going there in 97-98.
                  Last edited by beefytee; 03-22-2023, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                    I think Sounds Easy was gone by about the year 2000. Edit: I was going there in 97-98.
                    That might be why we were going to Cougar Video in 2000-2002. I think that Sounds Easy location had been converted into a restaurant of some kind by then.
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Ha.

You are old
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

That might be why we were going to Cougar Video in 2000-2002. I think that Sounds Easy location had been converted into a restaurant of some kind by then.
                        Right. A Philly cheese steak place.

Comment

Ha.

What a time to be a student. Wow.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

What a time to be a student. Wow.
                            Yes indeed. And I just missed the Miracle Bowl and Ainge layup by one year (on my mission from 80-82).

Comment

Yes indeed. And I just missed the Miracle Bowl and Ainge layup by one year (on my mission from 80-82).
                              I was at the Miracle Bowl and we stayed to the very end. Very formative in my youth to cement my BYU fanhood for life.

Comment

• Pizza Pipeline was great for an 18 year old. We ordered many a Colossus when living in Helaman Halls. Honestly I'd probably eat it now if it still existed. Sounds Easy and 5 Buck were both well below average, but the price was right. Didn't 5 buck also throw in a gallon of their root beer as well? Again objectively not great but we drank it. Brick Oven may be the most overrated pizza I have ever had. It's not bad, but just nowhere near what people say about it, especially in my time at the BYU. And just to be fair and balanced: the Pie is also extremely overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X