Just wanted to give '71 another reason to complain about the Honor Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
    You cannot possibly know that. We all certainly hope that's the case, but I would not be surprised to find cases where it has happened. This is the university, afterall, that is owned by the religion that still has publications saying death is preferable to losing one's virtue even in cases of sexual assault. Put that together with the fact that the HC office is often made light of for being overzealous, and I can see how it would be possible. Like you though, I don't have any proof of misconduct, or otherwise, and I hope cool, compassionate heads have always prevailed.
    Picking an old quote from an old era. The Church allows abortions in the case of rape, incest, or the health of the mother; you still find plenty of churches that will not advocate that. Are you going to blame the Church for every YW instructor who likens non-virgins to disgusting chewed gum? I prefer to concentrate on the administrative and doctrinal processes put into place to facilitate repentance "as if the sin never occurred" rather than the zealots who advocate death over deflowering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Picking an old quote from an old era. The Church allows abortions in the case of rape, incest, or the health of the mother; you still find plenty of churches that will not advocate that.
      This brings up a question that perhaps is unanswerable. When does the spirit enter the body. Growing up in the church, many churches teach this, I was told abortion was taking the life of a child. The fact the church allows abortions in certain circumstances led me to believe anyone who teaches abortion is taking a life is wrong??

Comment

Picking an old quote from an old era. The Church allows abortions in the case of rape, incest, or the health of the mother; you still find plenty of churches that will not advocate that. Are you going to blame the Church for every YW instructor who likens non-virgins to disgusting chewed gum? I prefer to concentrate on the administrative and doctrinal processes put into place to facilitate repentance "as if the sin never occurred" rather than the zealots who advocate death over deflowering.
        An old quote from an old era? It's a quote in a book written by an apostle who later became prophet, still published by the church, and is still suggested reading for people going through the repentance process you mentioned. Until the church disavows those teachings, yes, I will blame the church for them. They are unhealthy and irresponsible.
        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Lambda's schtick probably kills on Reddit.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Yes, I can't prove a negative. I also can't prove that you aren't an axe murderer.
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Yikers!
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I can't stand schick, I prefer Wilkinson Sword.
              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Comment

• This one?

Or this one?

Comment

This one?
                  That one
                  - Howard Aiken

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                    That one
                    The other one probably keeps more people in Utah clean shaven these days.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Are you going to blame the Church for every YW instructor who likens non-virgins to disgusting chewed gum?
                      Has the church actually come out and instructed members not to use such an analogy? Because if not, then I definitely would continue blaming the church for that.

Comment

• Also, would someone mind explaining how in all this talk of sexual assault the word "alleged" never seems to be used anymore? And why do I feel like I'm about to be called an asshole for bringing this up?

Comment

• Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
                          Has the church actually come out and instructed members not to use such an analogy? Because if not, then I definitely would continue blaming the church for that.
                          So you would like church to micromanage the members, yea, even command them in all things?
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            So you would like church to micromanage the members, yea, even command them in all things?
                            Umm...wasn't this notion taught by Spencer W. Kimball?

Comment

• And isn't it also taught in the Book of Mormon?

*Moroni 9:9 "For behold, many of the daughters of the Lamanites have they taken prisoners; and after depriving them of that which was most dear and precious above all things, which is chastity and virtue—"
                              Last edited by taekwondave; 11-04-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
                                Umm...wasn't this notion taught by Spencer W. Kimball?
                                Just answer the question. TIA.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X