Utah Mormons versus the rest

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Topper
    Pre-Historic Man
    • Nov 2011
    • 11764

    #1

    Utah Mormons versus the rest

    Maybe there is a thread discussing the ARIS study which combined the results of a 1990 and a 2008 study by two sociologists, but it isn't on the first page. Mods feel free to combine if there is an obvious thread to combine this thread with.

    Not necessarily stunning, but it is perhaps mildly interesting to see sociologists noting the differences from a social and interactive perspective of Utah Mormons and everybody else. http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/fil...ormons2008.pdf

    Most Latter-day Saints living in Utah are born in the faith, steeped from infancy in the religious ethos of the Mormon Culture Region (hereafter MCR), and live in neighborhoods and cities where Mormonism is the majority faith. Many trace their roots to polygamous families, including both Mitt Romney and John Huntsman
    candidates for the 2012 Republican Presidential nomination. By way of contrast, in most other states, the majority of Latter-day Saints are first generation converts,
    or the children of such converts, living in places where Mormonism is a minority faith with little power to affect local politics and culture.

    These differences have prompted scholars to posit that Latter-day Saints residing in the MCR are a different ―species‖ of Mormon from those who live in the ―mission field‖—a term Mormons use to describe places where the church is just one denomination among many. One ―species‖ inhabits a place where the tenets of Mormonism are axiomatic and an LDS identity is inculcated from birth. Their colorful and sensational history—which many Americans find intriguing or bizarre—is inextricably intertwined with their geography and genealogy. The other species practices an esoteric faith in pluralistic environs with little or no support from kin. While they may be proud of the accomplishments of the early western pioneers, the legacy of 19th century Mormonism is more history than heritage for them.

    Data from the ARIS can indicate how Utah Mormons differ from their counterparts elsewhere, and to what extent. Previous studies examining the social and demographic characteristics of American Mormons have been unable to address regional differences among Latter-day Saints because of small sample sizes.

    Thus, the various waves of the ARIS provide an ideal opportunity to uncover differences and similarities between the two species of Mormons. In the pages below, we compare
    Mormons in the United States, noting how they are alike and how they differ.
    Obviously, he is overstating the condition and understating it in other places. I can't speak for Idaho, but Southern Nevada has an extensive political influence by the LDS, as the senior Senator and I believe the junior Senator, as well as Lieutenant Governor as LDS. Arizona has sees pockets of considerable political influence by LDS. But the observations remain interesting.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #2
    Originally posted by Topper View Post
    Maybe there is a thread discussing the ARIS study which combined the results of a 1990 and a 2008 study by two sociologists, but it isn't on the first page. Mods feel free to combine if there is an obvious thread to combine this thread with.

    Not necessarily stunning, but it is perhaps mildly interesting to see sociologists noting the differences from a social and interactive perspective of Utah Mormons and everybody else. http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/fil...ormons2008.pdf



    Obviously, he is overstating the condition and understating it in other places. I can't speak for Idaho, but Southern Nevada has an extensive political influence by the LDS, as the senior Senator and I believe the junior Senator, as well as Lieutenant Governor as LDS. Arizona has sees pockets of considerable political influence by LDS. But the observations remain interesting.
    I assume these are sociologists doing the study. Probably funded by some grant.

    I wonder if they would find non-mormon Utahns differ from non-mormon's outside of Utah?

    Comment

    • Topper
      Pre-Historic Man
      • Nov 2011
      • 11764

      #3
      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      I assume these are sociologists doing the study. Probably funded by some grant.

      I wonder if they would find non-mormon Utahns differ from non-mormon's outside of Utah?
      I didn't check the funding and the study doesn't seem that extensive. At the end, although somewhat interesting, the study leaves one unsatisfied. I can find lots of holes and overstated premises. Nothing earth-shattering.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

      Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

      Comment

      • Clark Addison
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10305

        #4
        Is this thread just an attempt to troll FM into posting again?

        Also, I have lived as an adult in 4 non-Utah states, and in my experience, the statement that:

        "By way of contrast, in most other states, the majority of Latter-day Saints are first generation converts, "

        is in general not true for active members. I am sure there are many wards where it is, but I would say the majority of wards are very heavily populated with a bunch of folks who are multi-generational.

        Comment

        • Northwestcoug
          Cocked and Loaded
          • May 2011
          • 18016

          #5
          Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          Is this thread just an attempt to troll FM into posting again?

          Also, I have lived as an adult in 4 non-Utah states, and in my experience, the statement that:

          "By way of contrast, in most other states, the majority of Latter-day Saints are first generation converts, "

          is in general not true for active members. I am sure there are many wards where it is, but I would say the majority of wards are very heavily populated with a bunch of folks who are multi-generational.
          I would agree. Utah roots spread far and wide. Even the city wards I attended had many members with some Utah connection.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

          Comment

          • Paperback Writer
            Signature won a Pulitzer
            • Nov 2010
            • 5211

            #6
            Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
            Is this thread just an attempt to troll FM into posting again?

            Also, I have lived as an adult in 4 non-Utah states, and in my experience, the statement that:

            "By way of contrast, in most other states, the majority of Latter-day Saints are first generation converts, "

            is in general not true for active members. I am sure there are many wards where it is, but I would say the majority of wards are very heavily populated with a bunch of folks who are multi-generational.
            That has been my experience as well growing up in the Midwest, serving a mission in New England, and living in Texas after college: lots of multi-generational Mormons. Outside of the Mormon West, what I have seen is that in the suburbs of large employment areas like Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, etc. there are many multi-generational LDS. This also seems true in smaller population areas where there is a major college (university towns) or a large research facility. Mormons tend to be highly educated so it's no surprise that they would locate in large employment areas or in areas supported by academia and research. But when one is in less populated areas where the economy is driven by manufacturing, agriculture, or other means, that's where there seem to be far more first or second generation Mormons. Anyway, that's been my experience.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

            Comment

            • BlueK
              Senior Member
              • May 2011
              • 7191

              #7
              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              I wonder if they would find non-mormon Utahns differ from non-mormon's outside of Utah?
              In general, yes there is a difference.

              Comment

              • Green Monstah
                Royal Rooter
                • Aug 2010
                • 13955

                #8
                Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                Is this thread just an attempt to troll FM into posting again?

                Also, I have lived as an adult in 4 non-Utah states, and in my experience, the statement that:

                "By way of contrast, in most other states, the majority of Latter-day Saints are first generation converts, "

                is in general not true for active members. I am sure there are many wards where it is, but I would say the majority of wards are very heavily populated with a bunch of folks who are multi-generational.
                In the ward I grew up in about a 40% of the active members were transplants. A few multi-generational local Mormon families made up the other 25%, and the other 35% was a revolving door of locals.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                Comment

                • jay santos
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 13652

                  #9
                  Utah Mormons are better.

                  Comment

                  • Sullyute
                    a day late/a dollar short
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 3308

                    #10
                    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    Utah Mormons are better.
                    :rockon1:
                    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                    Comment

                    • SCcoug
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7625

                      #11
                      Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Utah Mormons are better.
                      Especially the ones with pioneer ancestry.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69687

                        #12
                        Cafe Rio is awesome.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Commando
                          Explosivo
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 20748

                          #13
                          Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          Utah Mormons are better.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                          Comment

                          • Pelado
                            Bald not naked
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 21139

                            #14
                            So when do the Utah Mormons face off against the other Mormons? What's the spread?
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

                            Comment

                            • Topper
                              Pre-Historic Man
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 11764

                              #15
                              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              Utah Mormons are better.
                              I misread that for a moment, thinking you wrote Utes are better. And then SullyUte applauded your statement. Go me doubly worried.

                              It seems the authors used some fairly sparse data and then were rather liberal with their interpretation of what inferences should be drawn from it. The more times I read it, the less I find their ruminations about the data believable.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                              Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                              Comment

                              Working...