If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
I don't pull punches, and I tell them exactly how I feel about their man-made, dysfunctional church.
Originally posted by optimomojo
The condescending, smartass, or sarcastic replies is one of the reasons I don't often come around this forum. Besides being very cliquey, there's often not a lot of respect for each other's points of view. I value kindness as much or more than above average academic intelligence.
Sure you do.
"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV
The condescending, smartass, or sarcastic replies is one of the reasons I don't often come around this forum. Besides being very cliquey, there's often not a lot of respect for each other's points of view. I value kindness as much or more than above average academic intelligence.
Just an idea....I don't think it is very kind to drop a deuce in someone's living room. When you come to a place with guns a blazing and dropping deuces in people's living rooms, you should expect some push back.
So, specifically reference my post(s) that are not respectful, and explain why it's not respectful.
You've been crying the same tune for years here. I don't have the inclination to detail your long history of hypocrisy over lack of respect. I have a spouse, young children, long work hours, and other responsibilities.
Originally posted by optimomojo
No kidding about the heavy handed here. I first came here after the heavy handed moderation at CB. I liked the format better here, intelligence level, the depth of discussion. But I have been deeply disappointed about the way I have been treated here. Condescending, assholes, insensitive, self-satisfied/smug, and VERY cliquish are negative thoughts that I associate with CUF and some of CUF posters.
One of my early posts here was intended to be a sort of humorous poll about sex. Nothing over the top or graphic. There are posts on here nearly every day with sexual innuendo or content that are not moderated that have far more potential to offend than the mild post I intended to post. Before the poll was even finished with any answer choices, BAM, deleted. I was shocked. That was something I expected on CB, not CUF. I was in disbelief. (Thanks for the warm welcome, Lebowski!)
A couple of years later I still fume every now and then when I recall the way some of the CUF posters treated me soon after I first started posting. Several CUF'rs made some very condescending responses to my posts early on. One of the first was from Nikuman. Apparently, if you are a newbie CUF'r, you are just supposed to take it if a long-time member is abusive. And if you don't take it, it's a pile on. After the pile on me, there was only one poster here who even bothered to value me. It's one thing if SeattleUte scorns your silly mormonism or some other post, but even Finderson here or Indy?
Also, apparently, if you don't devote every moment to thoroughly engage in a discussion to the end on any particular post of yours, that is looked down upon. Frankly, I have a spouse, young children, long work hours and other responsibilities. I don't know where some CUF make time to read and post as much as they do without neglecting critical personal responsibilities.
I was highly offended when some seriously questioned me, as if I were lying, that my spouse had received her PhD in molecular biophysics at a Texas university, and that she didn't accept some CUF'rs positions on some conventionally-held-scientific-points of view.
Maybe if I was a cross-dressing, ex-mo bishop, agnostic, nobel laureate, who ran 10 miles per day and consistently hit deep threes, mastered MWx, adopted orphaned LGBT teens, made $100k more, could spend every moment reading and responding to CUF posts, and spoke with great depth of wit, charm, insight, grace and sensitivity with every post, I MIGHT be accepted by CUF.
As it stands, I'm not sure my undergraduate degree in philosophy, my law background and license, my 15 year business background, my experiences as a spouse & father, 6th generation-well-read Mormonism, and other bland or unique life experiences are up to snuff to engage in CUF. So for now, I occasionally read during a lunch break or whenever, and I post even less.
"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV
Your acerbic posts just prove my point all the more. Why the lack of compassion or even attempt at understanding?
To be fair, your references to "the mormon god" don't seem to exhibiting any compassion or understanding of those that are believers here. Perhaps that's part of the reason you are getting such an icy reception.
Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.
Dig your own grave, and save!
"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American
"I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally
I think a lot of the hostile reception is because you still call this board "CUF" when in fact we've done a pretty good job of driving the Utes away. It's CS now.
Wasn't your old avatar some kind of smiley-face, or something like that? Or am I thinking of someone else?
probably some other dick stick. If flystripper would please offer a class on how to leave the church, I would be forever in his debt. Without it, we have to relive this bullshit over and over as if these people have discovered something new.
Ok, but sincerely, what's offensive about "the mormon god"? I did not intend that reference disrespectfully. What's so patently offensive about it?
You are on a board founded and still populated by a majority of Mormons, a significant number of which openly claim belief. Your reference to "the mormon god", both in lowercase, underscores your obvious opinion that our religious beliefs are a joke. You are entitled to your opinion, but if you want to have an open and sincere dialogue with people, its probably best to avoid starting out by indicating that you think the other side's viewpoints are worthless.
Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.
Dig your own grave, and save!
"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American
"I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally
You are on a board founded and still populated by a majority of Mormons, a significant number of which openly claim belief. Your reference to "the mormon god", both in lowercase, underscores your obvious opinion that our religious beliefs are a joke. You are entitled to your opinion, but if you want to have an open and sincere dialogue with people, its probably best to avoid starting out by indicating that you think the other side's viewpoints are worthless.
I admire you folks attempting to teach OM a little self-awareness, but I have come to the point where I think such efforts are useless 99% of the time. If folks were capable of that kind of introspection, they probably wouldn't behave the way they do in the first place. I suspect OM is being sincere when he expresses surprise or puzzlement in response to your pushback. I think he honestly has no idea what you are talking about.
"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
No, I never had an avatar like that. My current avatar is a sort of joke: "Best Practices Manuel" instead of "Best Practices Manual" has a humorous irony to it.
Are you sure? I thought you had some kind of koolaid man avatar. Oh well.
Ok, but sincerely, what's offensive about "the mormon god"? I did not intend that reference disrespectfully. What's so patently offensive about it?
It's sort of like ordering French Fries while in France. You see, over there they just call them fries.
"They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.
Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Comment