Missionary to Salesman

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #16
    Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    We have literally dozens of LDS Returned Missionary APX Alarm salesmen attending our ward this summer. They are pretty annoying -- my wife says that it seems like our ward has turned into "EFY for couples" because most of them are married and give off the newlywed vibe.

    I'm glad I have never had to go door-to-door for anything -- even on my mission we didn't tract because we had plenty of teaching opportunities without tracting.
    When I still lived in a DC suburb ward, we had one summer where multiple BYU students and their wives descended to sell alarm systems. The funniest part about it was that the introduced themselves as "interns." Where are you interning? With a pest control company. Oh....so you are a bug spray salesman. Yeah, pretty much. Lol. Good times.

    Comment

    • UtahDan
      *
      • Nov 2008
      • 14496

      #17
      Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
      I worked at a casino in the summers after my mission. I wonder if someone wants to write an article about that.
      As it turns out, someone did.

      Comment

      • pellegrino
        miserere me
        • Jan 2009
        • 12100

        #18
        Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
        When I still lived in a DC suburb ward, we had one summer where multiple BYU students and their wives descended to sell alarm systems. The funniest part about it was that the introduced themselves as "interns." Where are you interning? With a pest control company. Oh....so you are a bug spray salesman. Yeah, pretty much. Lol. Good times.
        masters of the trade.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

        Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

        pelagius

        Comment

        • cougjunkie
          *Banned*
          • Nov 2008
          • 23223

          #19
          My whole neighborhood is full of APX salesman and upper management.

          I have done the mortgages for all of these guys so I know what they truly make. Regional VP makes about 700k a year, the 3 managers that live by me made 175k, 235k and 300k last year. The owner of APX Todd Peterson I am told made close to 20 million.

          The truth is the average every day salesman makes about 30k. But each year you go out they give you a raise on the number of sales and each year they expect you to be more successful. 50 systems is 15k for a first year. 100 systems is 40k.


          The guys that live by me, one of the managers sold 275 systems (and is in his 5th year) and he also gets overrides from all of his recruits. These guys have potential to absolutely kill it, but who wants to knock doors at 35? Most of these guys dont even go to school. So when they get to a certain point where knocking doors is no longer fun what are they going to do? of course the regional VP I know is 29, drives a porsche (paid cash for it), and just paid off his house in cash.

          Also even my neighbors whom I am good friends with are douchebags. (No offense BYU71)
          *Banned*

          Comment

          • I.J. Reilly
            Nobody's Fool
            • Apr 2009
            • 2949

            #20
            Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            My whole neighborhood is full of APX salesman and upper management.

            I have done the mortgages for all of these guys so I know what they truly make. Regional VP makes about 700k a year, the 3 managers that live by me made 175k, 235k and 300k last year. The owner of APX Todd Peterson I am told made close to 20 million.

            The truth is the average every day salesman makes about 30k. But each year you go out they give you a raise on the number of sales and each year they expect you to be more successful. 50 systems is 15k for a first year. 100 systems is 40k.


            The guys that live by me, one of the managers sold 275 systems (and is in his 5th year) and he also gets overrides from all of his recruits. These guys have potential to absolutely kill it, but who wants to knock doors at 35? Most of these guys dont even go to school. So when they get to a certain point where knocking doors is no longer fun what are they going to do? of course the regional VP I know is 29, drives a porsche (paid cash for it), and just paid off his house in cash.

            Also even my neighbors whom I am good friends with are douchebags. (No offense BYU71)
            Those seem like some outrageous amounts for door-to-door salesmen (or even their managers). And 20 mil for the owner of an alarm company seems crazy to me, too. Livin' the American dream, I suppose. Maybe I'm in the wrong racket.

            The bold part only serves to confirm my earlier observations.

            Comment

            • beelzebabette
              Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
              • Nov 2008
              • 2907

              #21
              Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              So when they get to a certain point where knocking doors is no longer fun what are they going to do? of course the regional VP I know is 29, drives a porsche (paid cash for it), and just paid off his house in cash.
              Leaving personality aside, I'm actually pretty impressed with your neighbor. Too many people with unstable income streams try to make it with debt loads comparable to those with steady incomes. Sounds like your neighbor respects the risk that comes with the reward. Good for him.

              Comment

              Working...