Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Church pulling out of the marriage business

It's just a rumor, people!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      thank you. that needed to be said.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
        But a person officiating in marrying two people is essentially officiating on behalf of the state. Do you think that a state agent would be able to operate in a discriminatory fashion?
        I'm not an attorney, but I see a difference between a Mormon Bishop and a justice of the peace. I don't think the state could compel a Mormon Bishop to marry a gay couple. Perhaps the state could compel a business to perform gay weddings and it certainly could require a justice of the peace to do so. Maybe that's why the LDS church is moving away from marriage ceremonies and receptions in LDS chapels. But the state won't be able to force a Mormon Bishop to marry a gay couple at a country club since the gay couple will be able to find another minister or official who sanctions gay marriage. Anyway, I don't see the LDS church disallowing Bishops to marry LDS hetrosexuals. It will be interesting to follow. I doubt the state will force the Roman Catholic church to perform gay weddings in their churches.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Dude, it was on FB! I don't know about you but my FB friends don't just post anything.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
            I'm not an attorney, but I see a difference between a Mormon Bishop and a justice of the peace. I don't think the state could compel a Mormon Bishop to marry a gay couple. Perhaps the state could compel a business to perform gay weddings and it certainly could require a justice of the peace to do so. Maybe that's why the LDS church is moving away from marriage ceremonies and receptions in LDS chapels. But the state won't be able to force a Mormon Bishop to marry a gay couple at a country club since the gay couple will be able to find another minister or official who sanctions gay marriage. Anyway, I don't see the LDS church disallowing Bishops to marry LDS hetrosexuals. It will be interesting to follow. I doubt the state will force the Roman Catholic church to perform gay weddings in their churches.

Yeah, I could never see stuff like that happening... except maybe in New Jersey:

Judge Rules Christian facility cannot ban same-sex civil union ceremony on its own premises

A New Jersey judge ruled against a Christian retreat house that refused to allow a same-sex civil union ceremony to be conducted on its premises, ruling the Constitution allows “some intrusion into religious freedom to balance other important societal goals.”

On Thursday, administrative judge Solomon A. Metzger ruled that religious liberty did not exempt the seaside retreat, which is associated with the United Methodist Church, from renting its facilities out for purposes that violate its moral beliefs.

[...]
            https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/ju...on-ceremony-on
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              Someone is going to make a killing on a drive through wedding chapel in downtown Salt Lake City.
              Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
              While funk plans the joke in his head, Schr-ute already has the thing fully animated on Photoshop. Respect!!
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                A concern for the church has long been that if gay marriage were recognized they would no longer be able to perform legally binding marriages inside of the temple unless they also performed gay marriages. If it is out of that concern that the church were to take a proactive step of no longer performing legally binding marriages in the temple, then why wouldn't the same logic apply to bishops?

Comment

Can the couple consumate the relationship in the couple hours between the temporal and the eternal moments? Adds kind of a mission impossible vibe to it for the new couple.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    While funk plans the joke in his head, Schr-ute already has the thing fully animated on Photoshop. Respect!!
                    None of those look like drive through chapels.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Can the couple consumate the relationship in the couple hours between the temporal and the eternal moments? Adds kind of a mission impossible vibe to it for the new couple.
                      You're wife must love you if it takes longer than two hours, I think a couple of hours is plenty of time.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        You're wife must love you if it takes longer than two hours, I think a couple of hours is plenty of time.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                          A concern for the church has long been that if gay marriage were recognized they would no longer be able to perform legally binding marriages inside of the temple unless they also performed gay marriages. If it is out of that concern that the church were to take a proactive step of no longer performing legally binding marriages in the temple, then why wouldn't the same logic apply to bishops?
                          Because the logic isn't sound. The LDS church is not forbidding gays to get married just forbidding them to get married with the blessing of the LDS church. The Roman Catholic church cannot be compelled to marry Mormons, Baptists, or Jews because they have other avenues. And I don't think the state will ever compel gay marriage for any church. IMO, its one thing to allow gays to be married in a pavilion affiliated with a church and quite another to force the Roman Catholic church to allow gay marriages in its cathedrals or the LDS church in its temples.

I could be wrong on Bishops continuing to perform non-temple weddings. Others have mentioned a scenario where couples are civilly married by a JP or someone with the proper license; basically, filing paperwork. And then immediately heading over to the temple. I would like to see something typical of standard weddings. A short wedding ceremony and then a dinner/dance/celebration afterwards. I would prefer that ceremony be performed by a Mormon Bishop but I guess in the end, it doesn't really matter who officiates it. The more I think about it, why not just have a former Bishop or family friend get a license to marry and conduct the ceremony?
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

You've got to leave the temporal venue, travel to a location with some privacy and a couch/futon/bed/lovesac/quilt for the floor, undress, fix hair, wash off, re-dress, travel to eternal venue. All that sandwiched around the act could take nearly 2 hours.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              You've got to leave the temporal venue, travel to a location with some privacy and a couch/futon/bed/lovesac/quilt for the floor, undress, fix hair, wash off, re-dress, travel to eternal venue. All that sandwiched around the act could take nearly 2 hours.
                              I believe the travel time issue is resolved by Shrute's city zonal planning above.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

no wife wants you to take longer than two hours.

Ladies?
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X