MTC good-byes now done from cubside

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • scottie
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5247

    #1

    MTC good-byes now done from cubside


    A more than 40-year tradition at the Missionary Training Center in Provo is now a thing of the past.

    Families will no longer be allowed inside when dropping their missionary son or daughter off.

    Instead, all the farewells and goodbyes will happen curbside.
    That's kind of a sad day for MTC traditions. The "say your goodbyes then missionaries through that door" experience was pretty cool for me and my family, very memorable.
  • I.J. Reilly
    Nobody's Fool
    • Apr 2009
    • 2949

    #2
    I wonder what was behind the switch. Didn't they used to hold some sort of welcome thing with the MTC pres and then the parents would have to say goodbye? I never did the stateside MTC thing, so I don't know.

    Comment

    • Danimal
      Junior Member
      • May 2009
      • 387

      #3
      Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
      I wonder what was behind the switch. Didn't they used to hold some sort of welcome thing with the MTC pres and then the parents would have to say goodbye? I never did the stateside MTC thing, so I don't know.
      My nephew went to the mtc today. I was told that it was due to concerns about swine flu spreading, but I don't know for sure.

      Comment

      • scottie
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 5247

        #4
        Originally posted by Danimal View Post
        My nephew went to the mtc today. I was told that it was due to concerns about swine flu spreading, but I don't know for sure.
        From the "news" story I linked:
        This all came about on Monday with the announcement that 20 missionaries were in isolation because of a flu virus. Three of them tested positive for the H1N1 virus, also known as the swine flu.

        As a result, leaders said families would not be allowed to go inside for the traditional send off, but have now chosen to make it a permanent change.

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #5
          I said my goodbyes at the Atlanta airport. When everyone else's families showed up at the SLC airport, I got to avoid all the crying again. I think the curbside thing is a good idea. Of course, the traffic on 9th east will be a swearword.
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • Drunk Tank
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 2569

            #6
            I drove to the MTC with The_Tick and his family. My family figured since we were both going into the MTC the same day, and his parents were already driving up, I might as well hitch a ride. So I said my goodbyes in front of his house. I know he had a good experience having his family there, but I am glad mine didnt come.

            I do remember going through the door thinking, what have i got myself into....?
            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

            Comment

            • JohnnyLingo
              La Naranja
              • Nov 2008
              • 3976

              #7
              It will change back, mark my words.

              Parents will complain.

              Comment

              • The Wankster
                It's not a tumor......
                • Dec 2008
                • 204

                #8
                Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                It will change back, mark my words.

                Parents will complain.
                Families are now going to pull up and everyone get out to say their goodbyes, and it is going to create a huge mess.

                My guess is it will change back after the cars can't get off 9th east, and there are some rear end accidents due to the line up of cars trying to get around the mess in traffic it will create.
                Let's get on with the gettin' on....

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  I went to the MTC solo, so when we were asked to go through one door and parents through another, I simply walked through the door.

                  I didn't really cry until the next morning when I ate MTC pancakes for the first time.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • beelzebabette
                    Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 2907

                    #10
                    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                    It will change back, mark my words.

                    Parents will complain.
                    People will deal. Just as Utah families quit going to the airport to see the missionary off post-9/11, they'll adjust to this rule change as well.

                    Comment

                    • SteelBlue
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8189

                      #11
                      I flew in from Oregon all by my lonesome. Missed my connection in SFO and got into SLC about 10 or 11 pm and Provo around midnight. I figured it was too late to go to the MTC so I swung by my old apartment and they threw a send off party for me with a good deal of my ward showing up. It was fun until I got a call from my mother asking me why in the hell I wasn't in the MTC. I said "mom, it's past midnight they won't want me that late." She of course called and they said to come right in. So I rolled in about 1 or 2 am to find some BYU student manning the desk in a blue vest. He walked me to my room and flipped the lights on waking everyone in the process so he could formally introduce me. They were less than thrilled to be introduced at that hour.

                      Comment

                      • Indy Coug
                        Heartless Bastard
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 18747

                        #12
                        Good luck with the traffic managment of the new curbside policy.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

                        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                        Comment

                        • RC Vikings
                          Known Heterosexual
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8789

                          #13
                          At least now you won't have to sit there and watch commerical after commerical about families and forever and then have them take your kid away for two years. It's brutal.

                          Comment

                          • YOhio
                            Hipster Mode
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26165

                            #14
                            Booooo! There's nothing like a good cry after "God Be With You Till We Meet Again."

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #15
                              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              Booooo! There's nothing like a good cry after "God Be With You Till We Meet Again."
                              Now there won't be the guilt for not crying after "God Be With You Till We Meet Again".
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              Working...