Our ward did one a few years ago, I originally planned on going but wound up backing out. Looking back I don't think I missed much. A neighboring ward is doing one in Wyoming I think. When we did it went to church in Jackson Hole at visitors meeting on Sunday. So traveled Sunday there. I think it was mostly youth that went, but a lot of adults went too. Neighboring ward doing it. Will be gone tell Thursday. I was not born in pioneer times, I guess if you want a glimpse of what they did go for it. I doubt I will ever be on one myself though.
Handcart Treks
Collapse
X
-
I would allow my kids to go on one if they wanted, but I would not encourage them to do so. There are no circumstances where I would go on one as an adult leader. I would absolutely refuse.If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.
"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.
"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn
-
I've gone twice on the medical committee. It takes a lot of time and effort to plan this stuff. I had no idea the amount until I was involved. I am sure they'll ask me again in 3 years. I need to move before then.Will donate kidney for B12 membership.
Comment
-
Yes, considering that only 2962 pioneers came to Utah pushing/pulling handcarts (just over 4% of all mormon pioneers) and nearly 270 died in just the willie/martin handcart company and those trying to rescue them the odds are not good.Originally posted by SoCalCoug View PostI would allow my kids to go on one if they wanted, but I would not encourage them to do so. There are no circumstances where I would go on one as an adult leader. I would absolutely refuse."If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
Where have all the Amish Mormons gone?"Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault
"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors
Comment
-
Anyone remember when the youth trek became popular? I never went on one, but I don't think it was a big thing when I was a teen."...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
"You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
- SeattleUte
Comment
-
A girl I went to HS with had a picture of her at home wearing her Ma getup, with a comment from her husband that alluded to some kind of pioneer role play going on. I didn't "Like" the photo or add a comment.Get confident, stupid
-landpoke
Comment
-
May have had something to do with the 150 year anniversary of Pioneer Day in 1997. That's about when a stake in my area in Texas did a Pioneer Trek for YM/YW. Other stakes in the area soon followed suite including mine. Now it's done every four years so each YM/YW has an opportunity to go. My spouse and I have successfully avoided being asked to be a "Ma" or "Pa" and probably wouldn't have accepted. But all my teenage kids have enjoyed the Trek experience even in the Texas summer heat. What's surprising (at least in my view) is that there is always a surplus of adult "volunteers" - it's one of the few things not done by assignment (like cleaning the ward building, etc.) And there were some hilarious (at least in my view) rumors of adult couples who postured their way into getting "called" as a Ma/Pa couple.Originally posted by Northwestcoug View PostAnyone remember when the youth trek became popular? I never went on one, but I don't think it was a big thing when I was a teen.“Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
"All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel
Comment
-
Thanks. My oldest daughter did it once when she turned 12, and I didn't hear about it again for a few years. I wasn't familiar with it.Originally posted by Paperback Writer View PostMay have had something to do with the 150 year anniversary of Pioneer Day in 1997. That's about when a stake in my area in Texas did a Pioneer Trek for YM/YW. Other stakes in the area soon followed suite including mine. Now it's done every four years so each YM/YW has an opportunity to go. My spouse and I have successfully avoided being asked to be a "Ma" or "Pa" and probably wouldn't have accepted. But all my teenage kids have enjoyed the Trek experience even in the Texas summer heat. What's surprising (at least in my view) is that there is always a surplus of adult "volunteers" - it's one of the few things not done by assignment (like cleaning the ward building, etc.) And there were some hilarious (at least in my view) rumors of adult couples who postured their way into getting "called" as a Ma/Pa couple."...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
"You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
- SeattleUte
Comment
-
I have never been roped into being a Pa but have been asked to be part of the supporting cast a few times. Maybe it has something to do with my indian/Jim Bridger blood which made my parts a little more authentic. My teenage kids have all enjoyed it with the exception of one daughter. Of course, she never cared much for camping.Originally posted by Paperback Writer View PostMay have had something to do with the 150 year anniversary of Pioneer Day in 1997. That's about when a stake in my area in Texas did a Pioneer Trek for YM/YW. Other stakes in the area soon followed suite including mine. Now it's done every four years so each YM/YW has an opportunity to go. My spouse and I have successfully avoided being asked to be a "Ma" or "Pa" and probably wouldn't have accepted. But all my teenage kids have enjoyed the Trek experience even in the Texas summer heat. What's surprising (at least in my view) is that there is always a surplus of adult "volunteers" - it's one of the few things not done by assignment (like cleaning the ward building, etc.) And there were some hilarious (at least in my view) rumors of adult couples who postured their way into getting "called" as a Ma/Pa couple.
It is interesting home couples postured their way into getting called as a Ma/Pa now that you mention it. It seems there is no shortage of volunteers for those roles."If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
our stake didnt do them when I was in HS but my wife and I were a Ma and Pa back in OC. We had a fun time and enjoyed the experience. All you haters can suck it.
One thing that is stupid is the attempt to equate or even proximate the youth conference experience to what true pioneers experienced. Why bother? just enjoy the experience for what it is. Guys dropping the cart while the girls pull, asking people to leave their cell phones at home, requiring everyone to sing Come Come ye Saints all the time....bleh. Our stake here did a lame modified version of trek recently wherein the kids didnt really go anywhere nor did they even pull a hand cart. They did meet at the stake center and had to walk en masse to the Timp Temple, a couple of miles away. They were walking on the side of the road, a large group of hundreds of kids. not only unsafe, but also very stupid way to teach them what pioneers did back in the day.Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
-
Our Stake just did a trek two weeks ago. It was reported that one morning they called all the men away into military service and left the women to pull the carts up a huge hill. At the base of the hill they had a special prayer, and the women started pulling the handcarts up the hill, while the men waited at the top singing pioneer songs. My wife and I looked at each other and realized that we live in a bizarro world where down is up, and up is down. Later my wife said she was surprised they didn't stage a real live birth on the trail.
Comment
Comment