Is Atheism Irrational?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sleeping in EQ
    Philosopher of Men
    • Nov 2008
    • 4188

    #1

    Is Atheism Irrational?

    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
  • CardiacCoug
    вот так штука
    • Nov 2008
    • 11013

    #2
    Thanks for linking that SIEQ -- interesting read.

    I'll have to think about that "you can't believe in materialism and evolution at the same time" argument some more. Seems like nonsense after a first read.

    Deep down in my heart of hearts I think there is no God. #SJBH

    Comment

    • Topper
      Pre-Historic Man
      • Nov 2011
      • 11764

      #3
      Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      Thanks for linking that SIEQ -- interesting read.

      I'll have to think about that "you can't believe in materialism and evolution at the same time" argument some more. Seems like nonsense after a first read.

      Deep down in my heart of hearts I think there is no God. #SJBH
      How are epistemological materialism And evolution separate? I will have to read.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

      Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

      Comment

      • wally
        <><><><><><><><>
        • Jun 2010
        • 4137

        #4
        If I were to be convinced that there was no God, I think that I would become a nihilist over an athiest. Nihilists seem less preachy to me.

        Comment

        • SCcoug
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 7625

          #5
          Originally posted by wally View Post
          If I were to be convinced that there was no God, I think that I would become a nihilist over an athiest. Nihilists seem less preachy to me.
          Say what you want about the tenets of atheism dude at least its an ethos.

          Comment

          • Topper
            Pre-Historic Man
            • Nov 2011
            • 11764

            #6
            Interesting read.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

            Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69706

              #7
              Originally posted by wally View Post
              If I were to be convinced that there was no God, I think that I would become a nihilist over an athiest. Nihilists seem less preachy to me.
              Yeah, those nihilists seem pretty harmless until they drop a ferret in the tub.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Blueintheface
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 15382

                #8
                Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                Say what you want about the tenants of atheism dude at least its an ethos.
                Are they gonna hurt us, Walter? No Donny, these men are cowards.

                Wally, don't be a coward.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                Comment

                • creekster
                  It is NOT a monkey!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22661

                  #9
                  Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  Deep down in my heart of hearts I think there is no God. #SJBH
                  And I think many people are convinced based on a similar au fond du coeur feeling, that there IS a God. To be honest, au fond du mon coeur, I think this is part of what Paul is talking about when he describes spiritual gifts. To some is given to believe.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                  Comment

                  • CardiacCoug
                    вот так штука
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 11013

                    #10
                    Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    And I think many people are convinced based on a similar au fond du coeur feeling, that there IS a God. To be honest, au fond du mon coeur, I think this is part of what Paul is talking about when he describes spiritual gifts. To some is given to believe.
                    Yep.

                    Comment

                    • woot
                      Resident Science Cop
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5531

                      #11
                      Every time I've seen an article calling atheists irrational, it relies on a fundamental misunderstanding of what atheism is and what atheists actually think. Dawkins had a whole chapter in his book explaining very carefully how he doesn't have a positive belief in the lack of gods, and yet here he is accused of just that. Even more absurd is a professional philosopher mistaking agnosticism as referring to the position that atheism and theism both have a 50% chance of being right.

                      Granted, these words both have various valid definitions, but as soon as you require atheism to include a positive truth claim about the non-existence of gods, Dawkins (and most every other atheist) immediately falls into the category of agnostic, leaving you bombing territory your victims don't occupy.

                      That interview is absolutely riddled with bullshit. This whole topic is quite tired for me, but that dude is very wrong on the internet. That argument about evolution being incompatible with materialism has me wondering who he was boning at Notre Dame to be given tenure.

                      Comment

                      • Topper
                        Pre-Historic Man
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 11764

                        #12
                        Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        And I think many people are convinced based on a similar au fond du coeur feeling, that there IS a God. To be honest, au fond du mon coeur, I think this is part of what Paul is talking about when he describes spiritual gifts. To some is given to believe.
                        I wish I had that gift. It has always been difficult for me to believe. The deep recesses of my soul both doubt and hope simultaneously. But belief is extremely difficult. You are a fortunate person creekster.
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                        Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          I wish I had that gift. It has always been difficult for me to believe. The deep recesses of my soul both doubt and hope simultaneously. But belief is extremely difficult. You are a fortunate person creekster.
                          I didn't say I was in either category.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • Topper
                            Pre-Historic Man
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 11764

                            #14
                            Originally posted by woot View Post
                            Every time I've seen an article calling atheists irrational, it relies on a fundamental misunderstanding of what atheism is and what atheists actually think. Dawkins had a whole chapter in his book explaining very carefully how he doesn't have a positive belief in the lack of gods, and yet here he is accused of just that. Even more absurd is a professional philosopher mistaking agnosticism as referring to the position that atheism and theism both have a 50% chance of being right.

                            Granted, these words both have various valid definitions, but as soon as you require atheism to include a positive truth claim about the non-existence of gods, Dawkins (and most every other atheist) immediately falls into the category of agnostic, leaving you bombing territory your victims don't occupy.

                            That interview is absolutely riddled with bullshit. This whole topic is quite tired for me, but that dude is very wrong on the internet. That argument about evolution being incompatible with materialism has me wondering who he was boning at Notre Dame to be given tenure.
                            His reductionism of odds left me scratching my head, I will grant you that. I am still trying to follow his steps in detaching evolutionism from materialism. He is skipping a step.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                            Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                            Comment

                            • Topper
                              Pre-Historic Man
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 11764

                              #15
                              Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              I didn't say I was in either category.
                              My mistake.

                              I envy those with the gift of belief. I have wanted the comfort of belief, or at least the comfort believers profess to have. You appear to be a believer, so that was my mistake. I certainly do not have a positive conviction as to the lack of deity.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                              Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                              Comment

                              Working...