Those who have left the church: When did you decide to leave

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SoCalCoug
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
    • Nov 2008
    • 5214

    #1

    Those who have left the church: When did you decide to leave

    And this is for those who have left, either officially, or just intellectually.

    By the way, this poll is private, so nobody will be able to see your answer. This is intended just for those who have either left the church or who have left it intellectually but are sticking around for cultural/family purposes.

    I'm hoping this won't get snarky. I may have a couple of follow-up polls.
    24
    After joining Cougarstadium/Cougar Ute Forum
    58.33%
    14
    Before joining CS/CUF, but after joining Cougarguard
    12.50%
    3
    Before joining CS/CUF and/or Cougarguard
    29.17%
    7
    Last edited by SoCalCoug; 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn
  • Blueintheface
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 15382

    #2
    When they stopped doing the linger longers.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

    Comment

    • New Mexican Disaster
      Suomalainen
      • Nov 2008
      • 4549

      #3
      What if you went back? Are you allowed to answer the poll?

      Comment

      • byu71
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22070

        #4
        I was going to initially say I would hope a board like this wouldn't have a big influence on a matter so important.

        Then I thought about my own situation and the naysayers have probably pushed me in a direction of greater favorability for the church and it's leaders.

        So I guess there can be an influence.

        Comment

        • SoCalCoug
          Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
          • Nov 2008
          • 5214

          #5
          Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
          What if you went back? Are you allowed to answer the poll?
          Of course.
          If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

          "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

          "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #6
            Uh oh, SoCal about to follow niku out the door.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • Blueintheface
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 15382

              #7
              Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
              What if you went back? Are you allowed to answer the poll?
              Repatriated? I'm impressed. (I mean that sincerely btw).
              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

              "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

              Comment

              • CardiacCoug
                вот так штука
                • Nov 2008
                • 11013

                #8
                What does it mean to leave the church "intellectually"? When it's phrased like that I'm not sure I was ever in.

                Comment

                • byu71
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22070

                  #9
                  Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  What does it mean to leave the church "intellectually"? When it's phrased like that I'm not sure I was ever in.
                  Probably a lot of definitions and while I have one I am sure the "intellectuals" on the board will come up with better ones.

                  My simple minded one would be when someone no longer accepts the GA's make decisions with the actual authority and blessings of God.

                  Comment

                  • Blueintheface
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 15382

                    #10
                    An idiot might look at the early returns and suggest CUF had an influence on people WRT leaving the church.
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                    Comment

                    • Pheidippides
                      Liberal Feminazi
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14759

                      #11
                      Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                      Uh oh, SoCal about to follow niku out the door.
                      The beacons of Minas Morgul are lit. Follow the light.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                      Comment

                      • CJF
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8497

                        #12
                        Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                        What does it mean to leave the church "intellectually"? When it's phrased like that I'm not sure I was ever in.
                        I read that as those who no longer believe, yet still participate.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                        Comment

                        • dabrockster
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 10947

                          #13
                          You left out an option. When they have been in communication with CJ

                          Comment

                          • CardiacCoug
                            вот так штука
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 11013

                            #14
                            Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            I read that as those who no longer believe, yet still participate.
                            Sure, I just have a hard time looking at "belief" in a binary way like that.

                            I participate with a mixed attitude of belief, skepticism, and ambivalence.
                            Last edited by CardiacCoug; 03-27-2014, 06:27 PM.

                            Comment

                            • Topper
                              Pre-Historic Man
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 11764

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                              An idiot might look at the early returns and suggest CUF had an influence on people WRT leaving the church.
                              Ad hoc ergo propter hoc.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                              Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                              Comment

                              Working...