The LDS Church is driving people to madness

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #1

    The LDS Church is driving people to madness

    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=968&sid=28934395
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37992

    #2
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

    There seems to be a stream of crazy LDS flowing right into your home state. I'd be willing to bet they are the ones responsible for the traffic delays outside the opera house.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69723

      #3
      State of Washington right near the top as well. Since we are making associations without evidence, I blame having to live near SU.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #4
        Here's my theory. If you habitually live in a make believe world it begins involuntarily to affect your moorings with the real world. I'm not saying LDS are necessarily fraudsters, but by analogy, I've seen people who repeatedly defraud others begin actually to believe their own lies and BS. I'm not a mental health specialist, but this disconnect with how the world really works and with the consequences of one's own choices and conduct has to wear on mental health.

        I'm not going to address Washington because they're my own folks.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • MarkGrace
          Grooveshark dick tease
          • Dec 2008
          • 31546

          #5
          Thread score!
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

          Comment

          • Clark Addison
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 10312

            #6
            Here's my theory. It is the non-members who have the high rate of mental illness. They see members of the church all around, and are so jealous of all the goodness, truth, and light in their life, that those who don't join the church are literally driven mad from despair of what they don't have.

            That, or maybe it is U of U basketball fans.

            Comment

            • Northwestcoug
              Cocked and Loaded
              • May 2011
              • 18029

              #7
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              State of Washington right near the top as well. Since we are making associations without evidence, I blame having to live near SU.
              Hey now. That's hitting a little too close to home...
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69723

                #8
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                Here's my theory. If you habitually live in a make believe world it begins involuntarily to affect your moorings with the real world. I'm not saying LDS are necessarily fraudsters, but by analogy, I've seen people who repeatedly defraud others begin actually to believe their own lies and BS. I'm not a mental health specialist, but this disconnect with how the world really works and with the consequences of one's own choices and conduct has to wear on mental health.

                I'm not going to address Washington because they're my own folks.
                Given that you are a man of reason, I am shocked that you are willing to make these logical leaps in the absence of evidence.

                Another one that gets tossed around all the time is the high rate of suicide in Utah. "Oh no! That evil Mormon church is driving people to kill themselves!" Unfortunately, the data just don't back that theory up. It is rather easy thing to track suicide vs religion and tease out the linkages. In this case, it appears to be a rocky mountain west/rural phenomenon, rather than a religion phenomenon. There have been some really interesting studies (some of them from the Univ. of Utah) that make the case that it is altitude related. Other theories include lack of access to counseling in rural environments combined with a high rate of gun ownership. It is a really interesting issue to study.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Lost Student
                  BAND!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4324

                  #9
                  At the bottom of SU's article was the following link:

                  Sockless solution comes from local man

                  “It’s pretty crazy,” he said. “If you look in GQ magazine or J.Crew, most of the male models and businessmen are all sockless right now because it’s kind of the trend, but if you look up articles every single article talks about how there isn’t a sockless solution."
                  This is just the type of crazy entrepreneurial spirit that this country needs. Thanks, LDS Church!
                  "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                  "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                  This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                  "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                  "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #10
                    There were times while I was attending Georgia Tech that the law of chastity almost drove me to madness.
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Vic Vega
                      Junior Member
                      • Jun 2013
                      • 552

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Given that you are a man of reason, I am shocked that you are willing to make these logical leaps in the absence of evidence.

                      Another one that gets tossed around all the time is the high rate of suicide in Utah. "Oh no! That evil Mormon church is driving people to kill themselves!" Unfortunately, the data just don't back that theory up. It is rather easy thing to track suicide vs religion and tease out the linkages. In this case, it appears to be a rocky mountain west/rural phenomenon, rather than a religion phenomenon. There have been some really interesting studies (some of them from the Univ. of Utah) that make the case that it is altitude related. Other theories include lack of access to counseling in rural environments combined with a high rate of gun ownership. It is a really interesting issue to study.
                      The Freakonimica guys had a podcast on the topic that was really interesting. They showed that people who live in environments where you don't assume you should be happy have low suicide rates. Areas where things are going well in general have high suicide rates. IIRC one theory was people say "I should be happy, but I'm not. There is something wrong with me." In tougher circumstances, according to the theory, people know they are in a tough spot and can accept it easier.


                      It was an interesting listen. I bet there are lots of possible explanations. It is interesting to think about.

                      SU, if you are not trolling in this post you are blinded by your worldview. There could be dozens of good reasons for this. I believe this is just quality trolling, although you laid it on a little thick.
                      Last edited by Vic Vega; 03-04-2014, 06:48 PM.

                      Comment

                      • SCcoug
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7625

                        #12
                        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        There were times while I was attending Georgia Tech that the law of chastity almost drove me to madness.
                        I can see how that could happen at one of the most gender imbalanced campuses in the country.

                        Comment

                        • MarkGrace
                          Grooveshark dick tease
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 31546

                          #13
                          Vegas blows away () the rest of the country in suicide rate, though I suppose there's a unique set of circumstances with that one.
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #14
                            MARCH madness, that is.

                            Thanks to the LDS church's shrewd negotiation tactics, BYU experienced incredible exposure via espn this season. more people than ever will watch BYU in the big dance this month.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • smokymountainrain
                              Impressive Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22593

                              #15
                              Zzzzzzzz
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

                              Comment

                              Working...