Church may do away with...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16939

    #16
    An adjacent stake has HC speakers every other month. On the off months the stake provides speakers from the stake auxiliary presidencies, mainly women from the Primary, YW and RS leadership. I endorse this practice.

    Comment

    • RC Vikings
      Known Heterosexual
      • Nov 2008
      • 8789

      #17
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      It wouldn't surprise me if there were lots of exceptions. It is a policy that has no scriptural or logical basis.
      So what would the policy be if a couple is bumping uglies before they get married.

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #18
        Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
        Is this thread for speculating on the consequences of SU's apostasy? Or to express hope and support for the LDS church eliminating the 1-year waiting period between civil and temple marriages? Or is this thread for listing things that we hope the church will "do away" with?
        Yes (to all of the above).


        Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
        If that's the case, I submit doing away with tithing settlement. Most teenage youth should already be interviewed by their Bishop annually. Adults are interviewed every two years for a TR if they so desire and if they don't then the Bishop is free to request an interview. Any issues over donation amounts can be taken up individually with the ward financial clerk once the tax forms are released. Tithing settlement needs to go. No one will miss it except maybe some of the suits in the COB.
        It seems to me that tithing settlement is optional anyway. Except for the bishop but that doesn't apply to me.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #19
          So a couple could enjoy some time of enjoying the view before wanting to post in the "LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club" thread?
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
            Posterinator
            • Feb 2012
            • 139

            #20
            [QUOTE=wuapinmon;1068499]1. Telling hometeachers to teach the First Presidency message from the Ensign when they visit their families.
            2. High councilor talks once a month.
            3. Only men as physical facilities reps.[/QUOTE]

            My wife and I served as physical facilities reps together, then when I got moved into another calling she stayed on and did it herself for several months. We currently have another couple serving together in that calling in our ward.

            Comment

            • wuapinmon
              Soul Plumber
              • Dec 2008
              • 30711

              #21
              Originally posted by Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz View Post

              My wife and I served as physical facilities reps together, then when I got moved into another calling she stayed on and did it herself for several months. We currently have another couple serving together in that calling in our ward.
              There's hope for all among those who love the Lord. Maybe it's no longer the Lord's will that the Church be run by grumpy old men. Of course, I mean the stake-level people and above. Ever see any women in those ranks?
              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

              Comment

              • Northwestcoug
                Cocked and Loaded
                • May 2011
                • 18035

                #22
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                So a couple could enjoy some time of enjoying the view before wanting to post in the "LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club" thread?
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

                Comment

                • LA Ute
                  Receiver of Memory
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19512

                  #23
                  Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  An adjacent stake has HC speakers every other month. On the off months the stake provides speakers from the stake auxiliary presidencies, mainly women from the Primary, YW and RS leadership. I endorse this practice.
                  We do this in our stake.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden


                  "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                  "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                  Comment

                  • MarkGrace
                    Grooveshark dick tease
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 31546

                    #24
                    This would be a great move.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                    Comment

                    • Green Monstah
                      Royal Rooter
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 13973

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                      Didn't Detmer get an exemption? Am I misremembering?
                      IIRC, it didn't become a hard and fast requirement until the mid-90s. Or, at the very least, there were many exceptions to the rule before that time.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                      "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        IIRC, it didn't become a hard and fast requirement until the mid-90s. Or, at the very least, there were many exceptions to the rule before that time.
                        I think it's been around for a long time, as long as I can remember and I'm getting up there. The folklore I've heard suggests that the brethren were unhappy about people getting married civilly so that non-member relatives could see the ceremony, then running off to the temple to make the union spiritually legit, so to speak. That practice devalues the sealing, it is thought. I personally think there are other ways to avoid that problem, but one thing that happens a lot in the church is that because a few people engage in abuses, a general rule gets imposed that affects everybody. There are tons of examples of this. It bugs me.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • chrisrenrut
                          Strikes and Gutters
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 2299

                          #27
                          My wife and I were allowed to be civilly married in February 1997, and then sealed in April 1997. She was waiting for a cancellation of sealing from her first husband, which might have influenced the decision.

                          Our civil marriage was also done at the temple, so it didn't help with our family members who weren't TR holders getting to observe. I am pretty sure they don't civil marriage in the temple anymore.

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #28
                            Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                            I think it's been around for a long time, as long as I can remember and I'm getting up there. The folklore I've heard suggests that the brethren were unhappy about people getting married civilly so that non-member relatives could see the ceremony, then running off to the temple to make the union spiritually legit, so to speak. That practice devalues the sealing, it is thought. I personally think there are other ways to avoid that problem, but one thing that happens a lot in the church is that because a few people engage in abuses, a general rule gets imposed that affects everybody. There are tons of examples of this. It bugs me.
                            It seems to me that a couple could have a wedding ceremony, exchange vows, break a glass, etc. without actually getting legally married (nothing has to be signed) and then get sealed/married in the temple. If I had to do it all over again that is the way I would have done it so folks near and dear to me wouldn't be excluded. What would Jesus do?
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Green Monstah
                              Royal Rooter
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 13973

                              #29
                              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                              I think it's been around for a long time, as long as I can remember and I'm getting up there. The folklore I've heard suggests that the brethren were unhappy about people getting married civilly so that non-member relatives could see the ceremony, then running off to the temple to make the union spiritually legit, so to speak. That practice devalues the sealing, it is thought. I personally think there are other ways to avoid that problem, but one thing that happens a lot in the church is that because a few people engage in abuses, a general rule gets imposed that affects everybody. There are tons of examples of this. It bugs me.

                              Well, I know of at least three couples who didn't have to wait a year. They were married in rural Maine when the closest temple was a 15 hour drive. A letter was read in the 90s that made it clear that was noonger an option.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                              Comment

                              • FMCoug
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 6825

                                #30
                                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                                I think it's been around for a long time, as long as I can remember and I'm getting up there. The folklore I've heard suggests that the brethren were unhappy about people getting married civilly so that non-member relatives could see the ceremony, then running off to the temple to make the union spiritually legit, so to speak. That practice devalues the sealing, it is thought. I personally think there are other ways to avoid that problem, but one thing that happens a lot in the church is that because a few people engage in abuses, a general rule gets imposed that affects everybody. There are tons of examples of this. It bugs me.
                                What a ridiculously provincial worldview those brethren must have had. The practice of excluding family members from one of the most significant days of someone's life is okay as long as the sealing isn't devalued? Give me a break. For a church that is supposedly so family focused this is one practice that is 100% anti-family. I guess what they really mean is 100% card carrying Mormon family focused.

                                This policy is a huge pet peeve of mine if you can't tell.
                                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                                Comment

                                Working...