Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    I will always cheer for BYU athletics, but I absolutely despise the university.
    That’s some impressive compartmentalization...

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
      I will always cheer for BYU athletics, but I absolutely despise the university.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I agree, he should stop cheering for BYU athletics.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
          The BYU Police using law enforcement resources to run down honor code matters is very bad, if true.

I found the BYU Police heavy handed when I was there, and I found the Honor Code Office to be a haven for zealots.

I wasn't involved with either one, by the grace of Saint Lavell.
          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• I think they should be decertified, if that is what they have been doing. Just drop the HCO (keep the honor code and let Bishops run with it). Very unchristlike. Just having an HCO invites all the zealots in the front door.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              I think they should be decertified, if that is what they have been doing. Just drop the HCO (keep the honor code and let Bishops run with it). Very unchristlike. Just having an HCO invites all the zealots in the front door.
              I'm hopeful the outside pressure will prompt RMN to make the need changes that he's likely already been studying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                The BYU Police using law enforcement resources to run down honor code matters is very bad, if true.
                Three-year-old news. Cop in question resigned and has been decommissioned. Several structural changes made in response.

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                I found the BYU Police heavy handed when I was there, and I found the Honor Code Office to be a haven for zealots.

I wasn't involved with either one, by the grace of Saint Lavell.
                I feel like I have missed out on so much. I have always viewed the BYU police kind of like mall cops.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Three-year-old news. Cop in question resigned and has been decommissioned. Several structural changes made in response.

I don't keep up on such things; its not like it was the lead article in the alumni magazine.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM.
                  We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Is it common for other private colleges to have their own police forces who have the same arresting power as their publicly employed collegeaus?

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      Is it common for other private colleges to have their own police forces who have the same arresting power as their publicly employed collegeaus?
                      Yes. And they typically have open records.

The open records thing is confusing. BYU is appealing a demand to make its records open but is supportive of the bill in the utah legislature that forces them to be open? I feel like we are missing some key elements to the story.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Is it common for other private colleges to have their own police forces who have the same arresting power as their publicly employed collegeaus?
                        Yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_police

Comment

Yes. And they typically have open records.

The open records thing is confusing. BYU is appealing a demand to make its records open but is supportive of the bill in the utah legislature that forces them to be open? I feel like we are missing some key elements to the story.
                          I don't think it is confusing at all. BYU wants something to remain hidden related to the 3-year old news. However, now that several structural changes have been made in response to the 3-year old news, they can stomach having open access in the future.
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                            I don't think it is confusing at all. BYU wants something to remain hidden related to the 3-year old news. However, now that several structural changes have been made in response to the 3-year old news, they can stomach having open access in the future.
                            Funk, it must be boring living in a black and white world.

Comment

Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                              From the link:

in the 2004-05 school year, 74% of college campuses had sworn officers with the power to arrest, and 90% of these departments were armed
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Funk, it must be boring living in a black and white world.
                                Sure it could be something else, but I'd be interested in hearing a more logical explanation. New sltrib report that this occurred for 2 years and info was passed on to HC and the University.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X