Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I disagree. It's entirely possible to think she is immature, uncivil, unmindful, a terrible author, a horrible figurehead, and perhaps unwell, and still think that excommunication in absentia was unjust. I don't voice an opinion on her excommunication anymore because I don't know the details of her excommunication, and her behavior sense then lets me know that she isn't a sympathetic person and that she has tried to use her experience to benefit herself financially (though she's no Dehlin). That said, if someone's treatment is unjust, it shouldn't matter what we think of the person. Justice should not be a respecter of persons.
    I understand the point you are making and I agree in general.

I recall watching the Ordain Women movement grow and admiring the cause, but scratching my head on the tactics. Then the tactics got more and more bizarre. It seemed like whoever was leading the charge and charting course was exercising incredibly poor judgment. Now with the benefit of hindsight, it makes more sense. KK is a nut.

One could argue that her vitriol is a consequence of the excommunication. But what would have been the outcome had she not been exed? Given the trajectory she was on and the nature of the personalities involved, most likely it would have been a train wreck either way.

The sad thing is that she has probably set the women ordination issue back a few decades. People like to claim, "Well-behaved women seldom change history." That is true, but nutty women with poor judgment also seldom change history.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• A Wife with a Purpose was scheduled to speak in Charleston, but her security detail held her out of her speaking engagement. She is going to now do appropriate action for the White Supremacy movement through things like picnics. She will leave speaking to the men.

https://wifewithapurpose.com/2017/08...the-alt-right/
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I understand the point you are making and I agree in general.

I recall watching the Ordain Women movement grow and admiring the cause, but scratching my head on the tactics. Then the tactics got more and more bizarre. It seemed like whoever was leading the charge and charting course was exercising incredibly poor judgment. Now with the benefit of hindsight, it makes more sense. KK is a nut.

One could argue that her vitriol is a consequence of the excommunication. But what would have been the outcome had she not been exed? Given the trajectory she was on and the nature of the personalities involved, most likely it would have been a train wreck either way.

The sad thing is that she has probably set the women ordination issue back a few decades. People like to claim, "Well-behaved women seldom change history." That is true, but nutty women with poor judgment also seldom change history.
        While I agree that KK was a terrible leader and did damage, I'm not so sure how she has really set back anything. It wasn't changing either way.

I do think the first Priesthood action was a good idea. It was a way to force the issue to be discussed. The second Priesthood action was stupid. The "discussions" could have been a good idea, but they made some huge mistakes in those and I think that is when it became clear that Kate Kelly was a poor leader.
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          While I agree that KK was a terrible leader and did damage, I'm not so sure how she has really set back anything. It wasn't changing either way.

I do think the first Priesthood action was a good idea. It was a way to force the issue to be discussed. The second Priesthood action was stupid. The "discussions" could have been a good idea, but they made some huge mistakes in those and I think that is when it became clear that Kate Kelly was a poor leader.
          At its core feminism is about what any community can do better for women. True religion, at its core, is what an individual can do for others and in the case of organized religion- the religious community. In the long term, at least long as defined as the start of Sister Kate's movement until today, it appears to me that Kate Kelly is likely being exposed for being mostly about Kate Kelly.

I will say that I did laugh out loud when I read all the bios on the womenfolk clamoring for the power to act in the name of God - "I am a Bishop (because it is important that you know my calling so that my social opinions can have the aura of the Almighty's mutual approbation) and how my heart ached that my wife couldn't be in the circles when I gave my children a blessing and a name by which to be known on the records of the church...." That shit read like Utefans.net back in the day when the ALUFs had to qualify their activity levels, and often their current calling, before opining on the BYU being a threat to the Kingdom of God.

I do think that if part of Kate Kelly's goal was to have any influence on the collective perspectives of believing mormons she did the cause damage. But as you indicated she did no damage to her goals - to which I agree. Her goals were her own self-promotion. She is a self-absorbed unhinged lady.
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

As Steve Spurrier likes to say..."Hindsight is 50/50," but man were there so many missteps along the way. The problem that KK had is that it very quickly became about her...and it didn't seem like she was the face of a movement, she was the face of the KK show. It's impossible to know for sure, but certainly her ratcheting up her rhetoric, vitriol, etc., certainly couldn't help.

I've been told that the leaders of the movement had studied previous social movements before, read from Dr. King and others and really felt like they needed to take and make a big stand. Now, that may or may not be true, but when you have people at the top of your organization that have no interest or desire to truly obtain what you want to obtain (the priesthood) they have no real dog in the fight. As such, whatever action that is taken by the group impacts them very, very little if at all. Listening to those voices, IMO, was a mistake.

The first thing was let women pray, which pretty much rolled through with very little resistance, so it seems. What if the next item would've been to increase women's roles at the ward level? (i.e. do away with PEC - which the RS President can be a part of anyway -per the handbook). Seems to me that that would've been a much more reasonable, and attainable end, and, would've had a real impact at the local level and the week to week experience for many...which in many ways, as I see it based on blog posts etc. about how painful church can be, might have been better than a big show of force.

My 2 cents.
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
              when I gave my children a blessing and a name by which to be known on the records of the church....
              I think I did it wrong!

Comment

• The church has updated its statement about Charlottesville: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...ville-virginia

It has been called to our attention that there are some among the various pro-white and white supremacy communities who assert that the Church is neutral toward or in support of their views. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the New Testament, Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself” (Matthew 22:37-39). The Book of Mormon teaches “all are alike unto God” (2 Nephi 26:33).

White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a “white culture” or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• I'll give credit where credit is due

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...ville-virginia

It has been called to our attention that there are some among the various pro-white and white supremacy communities who assert that the Church is neutral toward or in support of their views. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the New Testament, Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself” (Matthew 22:37-39). The Book of Mormon teaches “all are alike unto God” (2 Nephi 26:33).

White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a “white culture” or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church.
                  I could be wrong, but I think this is a direct shot A Wife with a Purpose. From a PR perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if she continues her "white culture" rhetoric if she isn't called in for her own court of love.

Good move by the LDS church.
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I'll give credit where credit is due

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...ville-virginia

I could be wrong, but I think this is a direct shot A Wife with a Purpose. From a PR perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if she continues her "white culture" rhetoric if she isn't called in for her own court of love.

Good move by the LDS church.
                    Is she blogging? Soon she will be starring on White Knights of Charlottesville on KKK network.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                      Is she blogging? Soon she will be starring on White Knights of Charlottesville on KKK network.
                      She's taking shots at the church right now on her Twitter feed. We should start a pool on whether she resigns or is exed and by what date.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        She's taking shots at the church right now on her Twitter feed. We should start a pool on whether she resigns or is exed and by what date.
                        Not the first time that she has done this. She did the same thing when the LDS church said to help refugees and made horrible comments such as the refugees are people too and we should love them.
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Not the first time that she has done this. She did the same thing when the LDS church said to help refugees and made horrible comments such as the refugees are people too and we should love them.
                          How quickly does Dehlin go for the interview here? She seems more in the Denver Snuffer camp...

Comment

• Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                            How quickly does Dehlin go for the interview here? She seems more in the Denver Snuffer camp...
                            I don't think that Dehlin will touch this one. I'm not sure that a homosexual hating white supremacist is going to appeal to his base, even if she does gain a hatred for the church.
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Poor lady:

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I don't think that Dehlin will touch this one. I'm not sure that a homosexual hating white supremacist is going to appeal to his base, even if she does gain a hatred for the church.
                                It would be quite a conversation though...who is the dimmest bulb...the audience will get to decide after 4 hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X