Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Congrats to the SLTrib for a fine well deserved award.

Hooray for Kevin Worthen for responding in the right way and working to fix the problem.

Lol @ funk and SU for reacting in a classic ute fashion.
    Agreed on all counts. It was, and I'd expect to a declining degree still is, a problem at BYU but it's good the issue was raised and steps are being taken. I'd look for a report on the different but perhaps even more serious problem at the U but, you know, "dog bites man" and all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      So which is worse? Rape culturing or the actual raping?

Oh crap... according to this report the SLC community college (aka, University of Utah) has a higher rate of raping going on than even Baylor: 0.3 reports per 1000 students vs. 0.2 reports per 1000 students... and Brigham Young University-Provo has effectively 0 reports per 1000 students (1 report for its 30484 students). So I can only assume that it must be the rape culturing that is worse... Can you quantify the rape culturing going on at the SLC community college, Baylor, and BYU for me? I would like to know how they compare.
      Of course, rapes are worse than rape culture. Rape culture of course perpetuates rapes as it leads to rapes not being reported, or victims of rape not even recognizing rape when it occurs.

Also, sorry I'm not putting much stock in reporting of rape being a significant indication of how often rape is occurring on a campus. BYU had policies in place that discouraged people from reporting rapes. BYU also has a high percentage of students that have been taught such damage teachings and victim blaming such as modesty rhetoric, chewed gum, licked cupcakes, camels in tents, etc. These type of teachings also contribute to rape culture and discourage the reporting of rapes. Hell, you just had the DesNews publish a rape culture perpetuating article.

Here is me not being cynical. BYU did at least recognize the need to change the policy and made those changes. It may have taken exposing by the SLTrib and the change may have had some kicking and screaming involved, but it happened and they deserve credit. Now BYU can move on to needed changes in LDS teachings to address the other big rape culture problem at BYU. As the Dude says though, change happens slowly.

Interesting also that a similar culture to BYU also has a low reporting of rapes. Again, the types of teachings perpetuated by the school leads to lower reports of rape. I absolutely agree with the article you posted:

Having a low number of rape reports is not necessarily a sign that all is well. Baylor’s governing board last month demoted the school’s president, Kenneth Starr, and fired its football coach following an investigation that found the school had failed to respond effectively to reports of sexual assault involving football players and others.
      Now if you have something to back up that fewer rapes happen on those campuses, not that people are discouraged from reporting rapes, I'll admit that I'm wrong. It will be interesting to see if BYU's change in policy leads to increased rape reports.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
        Also, sorry I'm not putting much stock in reporting of rape being a significant indication of how often rape is occurring on a campus.

Now if you have something to back up that fewer rapes happen on those campuses, not that people are discouraged from reporting rapes, I'll admit that I'm wrong. It will be interesting to see if BYU's change in policy leads to increased rape reports.
        I'd look for a report on the different but perhaps even more serious problem at the U but, you know, "dog bites man" and all.
        It is remarkable that some people seem to want BYU to have a rape problem. You don't have to think hard to come up with reasons BYU might actually have lower problems with reporting -- lower intoxication rates, the fact perpetrators are conclusively dealt with, etc.

As for the U of U incident, a guy with a mask and a gun raping a woman in broad daylight sounds more like a psychopath who needs to be put down than someone on whom anti-rape culture programs would have been effective.

The Trib should be lauded for encouraging positive change but at the same time, the journalistic ethics on display seemed questionable at best -- promising a meaningful chance to comment, then reneging, etc. Hopefully the resultant change is positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Armenag View Post
          It is remarkable that some people seem to want BYU to have a rape problem. You don't have to think hard to come up with reasons BYU might actually have lower problems with reporting -- lower intoxication rates, the fact perpetrators are conclusively dealt with, etc.

As for the U of U incident, a guy with a mask and a gun raping a woman in broad daylight sounds more like a psychopath who needs to be put down than someone on whom anti-rape culture programs would have been effective.

The Trib should be lauded for encouraging positive change but at the same time, the journalistic ethics on display seemed questionable at best -- promising a meaningful chance to comment, then reneging, etc. Hopefully the resultant change is positive.
          ute fans being ute fans.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            I condemn any and all rape cultures. Which is why I celebrate the SL Tribune's Pulitzer for exposing BYU's, which appears to be especially bad. There isn't always a Ute nexus to everything that happens in the world, however.
            Thank you, Scott!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              Thank you, Scott!
              lol.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Armenag View Post
                I can only speak for myself, but I don't want there to be a rape problem at BYU. Just like you don't have to think hard about reasons BYU might have lower problems with reporting and rapes, you don't have to think hard about reasons why BYU might have higher problems with reporting and rapes. It isn't so easy as to say, BYU has fewer rape reports, so, therefore, there are fewer rapes on campus.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I can only speak for myself, but I don't want there to be a rape problem at BYU. Just like you don't have to think hard about reasons BYU might have lower problems with reporting and rapes, you don't have to think hard about reasons why BYU might have higher problems with reporting and rapes. It isn't so easy as to say, BYU has fewer rape reports, so, therefore, there are fewer rapes on campus.
                  At some point the rape reporting statistics for the two schools are so far apart that they are meaningful even in spite of the historical issues with rape reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I can only speak for myself, but I don't want there to be a rape problem at BYU.
                    Virtue signalled!

Hey everybody, funk just wants to help solve this rape culture problem. This has nothing to do with his hate/obsession re: BYU.

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    Just like you don't have to think hard about reasons BYU might have lower problems with reporting and rapes, you don't have to think hard about reasons why BYU might have higher problems with reporting and rapes. It isn't so easy as to say, BYU has fewer rape reports, so, therefore, there are fewer rapes on campus.
                    That could be a factor, but is certainly is not the only factor. Given your deep devotion to solving this rape culture thing, I am sure you are aware that alcohol is one of the main factors involved in rapes. If you were truly concerned about stopping rapes, you should be working long and hard to stop drinking on campuses, esp. your beloved U. Here are some stats you can use:

43% of the sexual victimization incidents involve alcohol consumption by victims and 69% involve alcohol consumption by the perpetrators (2)

At least 50% of college student sexual assaults are associated with alcohol use (7)

90% of acquaintance rapes involve alcohol (10)
                    Also, Utah has sororities and fraternities and BYU does not. Time to start the SJW machine fighting against that.

Students living in sorority houses and on-campus dormitories are 3 times and 1.4 times (respectively) more likely to be raped than students living off-campus (5)

Fraternity men have been identified as being more likely to perpetrate sexual assault or sexual aggression than nonfraternity men (8)
                    http://www.campussafetymagazine.com/...tics-and-Myths
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Virtue signalled!

Hey everybody, funk just wants to help solve this rape culture problem. This has nothing to do with his hate/obsession re: BYU.

That could be a factor, but is certainly is not the only factor. Given your deep devotion to solving this rape culture thing, I am sure you are aware that alcohol is one of the main factors involved in rapes. If you were truly concerned about stopping rapes, you should be working long and hard to stop drinking on campuses, esp. your beloved U. Here are some stats you can use:

Also, Utah has sororities and fraternities and BYU does not. Time to start the SJW machine fighting against that.

http://www.campussafetymagazine.com/...tics-and-Myths
                      We need to teach don't rape and what consent actually means. The problem isn't solved by teaching women not to drink. By the way, that is one of the big rape culture problems, blaming the victims for alcohol consumption. It is right up there for blaming a woman for what she is wearing.

By the way, I'm all for dismantling the frats and sororities.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

We need to teach don't rape and what consent actually means. The problem isn't solved by teaching women not to drink. By the way, that is one of the big rape culture problems, blaming the victims for alcohol consumption. It is right up there for blaming a woman for what she is wearing.

You got "teach women not to drink" out of JL's post?

Comment

Drunk perpetrators, you dummy.

If you are going to pretend that alcohol is not a huge factor, then you aren't really serious about this.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

When you have a hammer, everything in the world looks like a nail!

Comment

Also, funk should contact that Campus Safety website ASAP and tell them they are victim shaming. Jerks.

Comment

Drunk perpetrators, you dummy.

If you are going to pretend that alcohol is not a huge factor, then you aren't really serious about this.
                                It is in the context of consent we teach about alcohol.

Drunk women can't consent to sexual contact.

Also, being drunk doesn't turn you into a rapist. You are a rapist before you get drunk. Drinking doesn't fundamentally change who you are and it doesn't compel you to do things you ordinary wouldn't.

--Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X