Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Hey now, go solve your own campus's rape culture before you criticize ours!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wait I thought rape culture was a myth perpetuated by those crazy feminists?

Provided that rape culture does exist and not some crazy feminist creation, I propose that we will work on fixing the rape culture at the University of Utah, while you work on fixing the rape culture perpetuated by the sponsoring religion of Brigham Young University.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      Wait I thought rape culture was a myth perpetuated by those crazy feminists?

Provided that rape culture does exist and not some crazy feminist creation, I propose that we will work on fixing the rape culture at the University of Utah, while you work on fixing the rape culture perpetuated by the sponsoring religion of Brigham Young University.
      Deal!! :handshake:

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Hey now, go solve your own campus's rape culture before you criticize ours!!

I condemn any and all rape cultures. Which is why I celebrate the SL Tribune's Pulitzer for exposing BYU's, which appears to be especially bad. There isn't always a Ute nexus to everything that happens in the world, however.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          I condemn any and all rape cultures. Which is why I celebrate the SL Tribune's Pulitzer for exposing BYU's, which appears to be especially bad. There isn't always a Ute nexus to everything that happens in the world, however.
          Especially bad? Guess that depends on how you rate it. There's clearly less rape per student at BYU as compared to other large Utah state schools.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

No congratulations on CG for the Salt Lake Tribune's Pulitzer Prize?

http://www.pulitzer.org/winners/salt-lake-tribune-staff

I tried, but only got an eye-roll from All-American.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1316335
            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

You already posted about this once, sorry you didn't get the response you were hoping for. You are old news around these parts, the game has passed you by. Time to hang them up Jay Buhner, during a tainted era you had a couple solid seasons where you really hit it out of the park, unfortunately you had far more strikeouts. Enjoy retirement.
              *Banned*

Comment

Especially bad? Guess that depends on how you rate it. There's clearly less rape per student at BYU as compared to other large Utah state schools.

The Deseret News ran an editorial suggesting as much:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-assaults.html

BYU’s Honor Code standards — and the religious mores from which they’re derived — seem tailor-made to prevent sexual violence.
                IMO, this editorial does the byu no favors.
                "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

I think the board name should be changed to the Center for BYU Apologetics. You guys can't even get on board with criticizing BYU terrorizing, bullying and trying to ruin the lives of female rape victims.
                  Even the church through its unofficial PR wing, the Deseret News, ran a 1/2 page advertisement congratulating the SLTrib.
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                    The Deseret News ran an editorial suggesting as much:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-assaults.html

IMO, this editorial does the byu no favors.
                    I agree that t does BYU no favors. It's a dumb editorial. But the facts show that Utah and Utah state have a bigger rape problem than BYU. Any rape problem is bad, but I'm not sure SUs comment about BYU's rape problem is correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      You already posted about this once, sorry you didn't get the response you were hoping for. You are old news around these parts, the game has passed you by. Time to hang them up Jay Buhner, during a tainted era you had a couple solid seasons where you really hit it out of the park, unfortunately you had far more strikeouts. Enjoy retirement.
                      Dear SeattleUte, Jay Buhner was a power hitter (as CJ says, in the steroid era) who played the bulk of his career for the Seattle Mariners of the most prominent professional baseball league in the United States.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

I agree that t does BYU no favors. It's a dumb editorial. But the facts show that Utah and Utah state have a bigger rape problem than BYU. Any rape problem is bad, but I'm not sure SUs comment about BYU's rape problem is correct.

I'd like to point out we are talking about 2 different things here. Rape culture and rape is not the same thing. Rape is obviously rape. Rape culture is not the same thing, it is societal attitudes towards rape including victim blaming. In fact, that Desert News article is actually an example of rape culture.
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I'd like to point out we are talking about 2 different things here. Rape culture and rape is not the same thing. Rape is obviously rape. Rape culture is not the same thing, it is societal attitudes towards rape including victim blaming. In fact, that Desert News article is actually an example of rape culture.
                          Using mpfunk logic things down in Wacko are not so bad... While they have lots of raping going on they fired a a few people (in high places) and hired their first female president so they must be ok on the rape culture scale of things. This is good to know. I was getting worried about my baptist friends.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Using mpfunk logic things down in Wacko are not so bad... While they have lots of raping going on they fired a a few people (in high places) and hired their first female president so they must be ok on the rape culture scale of things. This is good to know. I was getting worried about my baptist friends.
                            Where did I say both weren't problems. Let me clarify both are huge problems, they are just different but related problems.
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Where did I say both weren't problems. Let me clarify both are huge problems, they are just different but related problems.
                              So which is worse? Rape culturing or the actual raping?

Oh crap... according to this report the SLC community college (aka, University of Utah) has a higher rate of raping going on than even Baylor: 0.3 reports per 1000 students vs. 0.2 reports per 1000 students... and Brigham Young University-Provo has effectively 0 reports per 1000 students (1 report for its 30484 students). So I can only assume that it must be the rape culturing that is worse... Can you quantify the rape culturing going on at the SLC community college, Baylor, and BYU for me? I would like to know how they compare.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Congrats to the SLTrib for a fine well deserved award.

Hooray for Kevin Worthen for responding in the right way and working to fix the problem.

Lol @ funk and SU for reacting in a classic ute fashion.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X