Grappling with doubts as act of faith

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Topper
    Pre-Historic Man
    • Nov 2011
    • 11764

    #16
    Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    Christ said 'doubt not, but be believing'.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Words attributed to him say he said that. I have to remember which of the Synoptics contains that. Or are they later prescriptions inserted by scribes.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

    Comment

    • ERCougar
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10978

      #17
      Originally posted by Topper View Post
      Words attributed to him say he said that. I have to remember which of the Synoptics contains that. Or are they later prescriptions inserted by scribes.
      I'm not arguing that it's a wise teaching (although I think that would be a really interesting topic to discuss), or that the historical Christ actually said it. I do think that any Christian faith is going to have a hard time incorporating "doubt" as a virtue, given this and other scriptures.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

      Comment

      • Solon
        Lost in the flood
        • Nov 2008
        • 5747

        #18
        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        I'm not arguing that it's a wise teaching (although I think that would be a really interesting topic to discuss), or that the historical Christ actually said it. I do think that any Christian faith is going to have a hard time incorporating "doubt" as a virtue, given this and other scriptures.
        The problem in comparing LDS with modern Judaism or Islam is that those two religions lack centralized authority. There's already a lot of give-and-take among the various communities/congregations across the world.

        A closer comparison would be the Catholic church with its hierarchy of authority. And, historically, doubt and skepticism haven't been well received within that organization.
        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #19
          It seems the response to doubt within the church is not universal. I have heard of cases where someone expresses doubt, even significant doubt to their Bishop and the Bishop understands and even gives positive feedback to the person for their willingness to participate even with the doubt.

          In a lot of cases though the doubt is just not accepted. You have to read the scriptures more often and if that doesn't work, with more focus. Do you attend the Temple enough? Do you pay tithing on gross or net. There is something missing in the minds of some if you can't get rid of the doubt.

          However, I do believe currently members, even the ones who have no doubt, are quite willing to accept someone has doubt and it isn't a flaw. Patting them on the back for doubting might be asking to much though.

          Comment

          • Guest

            #20
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            It seems the response to doubt within the church is not universal. I have heard of cases where someone expresses doubt, even significant doubt to their Bishop and the Bishop understands and even gives positive feedback to the person for their willingness to participate even with the doubt.

            In a lot of cases though the doubt is just not accepted. You have to read the scriptures more often and if that doesn't work, with more focus. Do you attend the Temple enough? Do you pay tithing on gross or net. There is something missing in the minds of some if you can't get rid of the doubt.

            However, I do believe currently members, even the ones who have no doubt, are quite willing to accept someone has doubt and it isn't a flaw. Patting them on the back for doubting might be asking to much though.
            A mixed response has been my own personal experience. We have neighbors that will no longer talk to us. Yet at the same time, we have other neighbors who we've never been closer to. Both of which are very active LDS. But of those that still talk to us, just about all conversations we have with them, contain some kind of pressure to go to church. I appreciate the invites and I understand that they mean well, but I am not fond of the double standard. What I mean is, if I were a member of some non-LDS religion and I kept pressuring them to go to my church, I doubt my invites would be very well received.

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #21
              Originally posted by AggieIam View Post
              What I mean is, if I were a member of some non-LDS religion and I kept pressuring them to go to my church, I doubt my invites would be very well received.
              In my opinion there is a key difference that in their minds eleminates the inconsistency. As I heard at a missionary farewell yesterday, we belong to the one and only true chruch on the face of the earth. Such a belief allows many actions that one might find fault in someone from another religion doing.

              One of my son's yesterday said his home teacher will not leave him alone about Temple marriage. Things like "how can you not love your family enough to want to be with them forever"? He has explained to the HT that his wife absolutely has bad feeling about the LDS church in America and has basically lost her testimony she gained in Peru. However, the HT persists.

              I told my son that after being polite, understanding and appreciating how strongly his HT believes, he may have to at some point just tell him to F off.

              Comment

              • Guest

                #22
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                In my opinion there is a key difference that in their minds eleminates the inconsistency. As I heard at a missionary farewell yesterday, we belong to the one and only true chruch on the face of the earth. Such a belief allows many actions that one might find fault in someone from another religion doing.

                One of my son's yesterday said his home teacher will not leave him alone about Temple marriage. Things like "how can you not love your family enough to want to be with them forever"? He has explained to the HT that his wife absolutely has bad feeling about the LDS church in America and has basically lost her testimony she gained in Peru. However, the HT persists.

                I told my son that after being polite, understanding and appreciating how strongly his HT believes, he may have to at some point just tell him to F off.
                This is why I appreciate their invites and such. I understand the whole "only true church" mentality having believed it once myself. The double standard I'm not fond of is a product of the environment so to speak. They are all still good people in my mind. My opinion of them hasn't changed. Even if their opinions of me have.

                Comment

                • Harry Tic
                  I've Made a Huge Mistake.
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 1660

                  #23
                  Originally posted by AggieIam View Post
                  This is why I appreciate their invites and such. I understand the whole "only true church" mentality having believed it once myself. The double standard I'm not fond of is a product of the environment so to speak. They are all still good people in my mind. My opinion of them hasn't changed. Even if their opinions of me have.
                  If you were to turn into a hardcore BYU fan overnight and keep your same views on religion, you would really create a moral dilemma for them.
                  Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                  --William Blake, via Shpongle

                  Comment

                  • Guest

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                    If you were to turn into a hardcore BYU fan overnight and keep your same views on religion, you would really create a moral dilemma for them.
                    Hardcover BYU fan? Now that I cannot do.

                    Comment

                    • Flystripper
                      Degenerate Gambler
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14094

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                      If you were to turn into a hardcore BYU fan overnight and keep your same views on religion, you would really create a moral dilemma for them.
                      As the resident hardcore BYU fan turned apostate I will tell you that most people (LDS and otherwise) don't care. I do get a bit of sick enjoyment from the few strange looks I get while wearing a BYU shirt and drinking a beer, but most folks couldn't care less.
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

                      Comment

                      • Guest

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        As the resident hardcore BYU fan turned apostate I will tell you that most people (LDS and otherwise) don't care. I do get a bit of sick enjoyment from the few strange looks I get while wearing a BYU shirt and drinking a beer, but most folks couldn't care less.
                        I've been trying to find a BYU shot glass for this reason for a while now.

                        Comment

                        • CJF
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8497

                          #27
                          Originally posted by AggieIam View Post
                          I've been trying to find a BYU shot glass for this reason for a while now.
                          They sell them at the SLC airport.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                          Comment

                          • Surfah
                            Where's Wallace?
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 33726

                            #28
                            Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            They sell them at the SLC airport.
                            And online. They sell double shot glasses, highball glasses, beer can koozies and beer bottle koozies. I don't think Aggie was sincere.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Guest

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              And online. They sell double shot glasses, highball glasses, beer can koozies and beer bottle koozies. I don't think Aggie was sincere.
                              Oh I'm sincere alright. I just haven't looked that hard. I suppose Google could help me out. Or maybe I'll check out what the airport's got next time I'm there.

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #30
                                Originally posted by AggieIam View Post
                                Oh I'm sincere alright. I just haven't looked that hard. I suppose Google could help me out. Or maybe I'll check out what the airport's got next time I'm there.
                                http://sportsfanshop.jcpenney.com/BY...933409_PG.html

                                Show some love for a Texas company and buy them from JCP.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...