If someone is following D&C 89, is he keeping the Word of Wisdom?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sleeping in EQ
    Philosopher of Men
    • Nov 2008
    • 4188

    #1

    If someone is following D&C 89, is he keeping the Word of Wisdom?

    What do you think?
    20
    Yes
    55.00%
    11
    No
    45.00%
    9
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
  • Moliere
    One man.....one pie
    • Oct 2009
    • 27882

    #2
    I think it's a clear "no". The WoW has evolved so much that it hardly resembles Section 89. This is one of those rare things where the canon doesn't quite fit in with the practice, although we try really hard to make it fit.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #3
      I don't get all this Word of Wisdom angst.

      The current Law of Chastity has evolved from Thou shalt not commit adultery.
      "Meet together oft" has evolved into "do you attend sacrament and priesthood?"
      God gave Adam and Eve garments. Now we have specificity over when and where they must be worn.

      If you want to drink beer do it. If you want to drink beer and get a temple recommend, then drink beer and tell your bishop you obey the WoW.

      Comment

      • Indy Coug
        Heartless Bastard
        • Dec 2008
        • 18747

        #4
        Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        I don't get all this Word of Wisdom angst.

        The current Law of Chastity has evolved from Thou shalt not commit adultery.
        "Meet together oft" has evolved into "do you attend sacrament and priesthood?"
        God gave Adam and Eve garments. Now we have specificity over when and where they must be worn.

        If you want to drink beer do it. If you want to drink beer and get a temple recommend, then drink beer and tell your bishop you obey the WoW.
        If people wanted to nitpick the WoW they should have done it before agreeing to follow the current implementation of it.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

        Comment

        • smokymountainrain
          Impressive Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22593

          #5
          Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          If you want to drink beer do it. If you want to drink beer and get a temple recommend, then drink beer and tell your bishop you obey the WoW.
          Agreed. The question is whether or not you obey the WoW. It's up to each individual to decide what that means and then to answer yes or no when asked by the b-ric/SP.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

          Comment

          • Sleeping in EQ
            Philosopher of Men
            • Nov 2008
            • 4188

            #6
            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            I don't get all this Word of Wisdom angst.

            The current Law of Chastity has evolved from Thou shalt not commit adultery.
            "Meet together oft" has evolved into "do you attend sacrament and priesthood?"
            God gave Adam and Eve garments. Now we have specificity over when and where they must be worn.

            If you want to drink beer do it. If you want to drink beer and get a temple recommend, then drink beer and tell your bishop you obey the WoW.
            No angst on my part. I'm just interested in the variety of views here on CS.
            We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

            Comment

            • Bo Diddley
              Senior
              • Jul 2012
              • 18791

              #7
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              If people wanted to nitpick the WoW they should have done it before agreeing to follow the current implementation of it.
              I'm not altogether clear when I did that. But then I don't nitpick it either, so it's more of a curiosity for me.

              Comment

              • jay santos
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 13652

                #8
                Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                No angst on my part. I'm just interested in the variety of views here on CS.
                It's clearly against the modern day WoW to drink beer. And it's clearly OK the way it's worded in section 89.

                The only issue is whether you think the church has the right to update its policies. Because it's impossible to argue that they haven't.

                Comment

                • Sleeping in EQ
                  Philosopher of Men
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4188

                  #9
                  Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  It's clearly against the modern day WoW to drink beer. And it's clearly OK the way it's worded in section 89.

                  The only issue is whether you think the church has the right to update its policies. Because it's impossible to argue that they haven't.
                  LOL. I see. When you were referring to "angst" you were referring to your own.

                  Take it easy there, JS, I'm not trying to convince anyone to drink beer.
                  Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM.
                  We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #10
                    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    If you want to drink beer do it. If you want to drink beer and get a temple recommend, then drink beer and tell your bishop you obey the WoW.
                    What if your Bishop knows that you drink beer? Is that bishop obligated to give a recommend if one answers that they do, indeed, live the WoW?

                    The reason I ask is that I know a woman that drinks (green) tea and her bishop blocked her from getting her recommend based on that fact. Ironically she doesn't drink any kind of caffeinated soft drink and eats very little meat.
                    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 07-15-2013, 07:57 AM.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Paperback Writer
                      Signature won a Pulitzer
                      • Nov 2010
                      • 5211

                      #11
                      I agree that WoW observance is up to the individual. Interesting that my patriachal blessing mentions blessings based on "obeying the Word of Wisdom as described in the 89th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants...".

                      I eat more "fowls of the air" than can be considered "sparingly" (DC 89: 12). But if "raised" turkey and chicken are not considered "fowls of the air" because they cannot fly, then I'm good. I almost always partake with "thanksgiving".
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #12
                        I guess you'd have care about the difference for it to matter. I don't think it really matters. I don't drink for reasons beyond the WofW and the temple recommend.
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • Sleeping in EQ
                          Philosopher of Men
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4188

                          #13
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          I guess you'd have care about the difference for it to matter. I don't think it really matters. I don't drink for reasons beyond the WofW and the temple recommend.
                          And now we're getting somewhere. One could hypothesize that the "tangle" that is the WoW is contributing to a more individualized approach. There's a guy in my ward who is adamant that refined sugar and white flour violate it. There's also a woman who has decided "for herself" that green tea is OK.
                          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #14
                            My thoughts on this, along with many other things, have evolved greatly from my youth. In the environment I grew up in I was led to believe a person who disobeyed the WOW was not a good person. You shouldn't even associate with such people. Looking back I can see it was more about choosing friends properly and your peers growing up do have a huge impact on you.

                            There was a time when seeing articles concerning harmful things like drinking, smoking, taking in caffeince does to ones body was very reassuring and a strong witness to the churches truthfulness.

                            I have now evolved to the point where as with a lot of things, it is the excess use of these things that are harmful. To label people over the WOW just seems silly.

                            I am one who is down with "club" rules though. If I choose to be part of a club that doesn't allow Levi's on the golf course, I don't wear them. I chose to join, therefor even if I disagree with the rules, I should follow them.

                            I feel the same way about the church and especially a TR. If the rules are you live the WOW to get one, then if you want one you had better live the rules.

                            One last thing. It has always bugged me when sitting in Priesthood meeting or any other meeting for that matter, to be lectured on the evils of caffeine, near bear or even the WOW mainstays by someone who obviously could not walk and not be weary or run and not faint.

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                              And now we're getting somewhere. One could hypothesize that the "tangle" that is the WoW is contributing to a more individualized approach. There's a guy in my ward who is adamant that refined sugar and white flour violate it. There's also a woman who has decided "for herself" that green tea is OK.
                              And as long as they aren't conducting TR interviews, they can knock themselves out.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              Working...