Gay cure ministry shutting down

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • taekwondave
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 1160

    #1

    Gay cure ministry shutting down

    Exodus International, a Christian ministry that claimed people could change their sexuality through faith, prayer and therapy, is shutting down its operations, and the group's president issued an apology for causing the gay community "pain and hurt."


    "I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn't change," Chambers said.

    "I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents," he added. "I am sorry that there were times I didn't stand up to people publicly 'on my side' who called you names like sodomite -- or worse."
  • SoCalCoug
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
    • Nov 2008
    • 5214

    #2
    Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/exodus-inte...2#.UcN65mSG19k

    "I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn't change," Chambers said.

    "I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents," he added. "I am sorry that there were times I didn't stand up to people publicly 'on my side' who called you names like sodomite -- or worse."
    So, people who claimed they had been cured of their homosexuality were lying about it? Hmmm.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #3

      Comment

      • byu71
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22070

        #4
        Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
        http://abcnews.go.com/US/exodus-inte...2#.UcN65mSG19k

        "I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn't change," Chambers said.

        "I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents," he added. "I am sorry that there were times I didn't stand up to people publicly 'on my side' who called you names like sodomite -- or worse."

        Interesting, yet since in my own mind the issue of "they can be cured" was settled long ago, like 1981, it is kind of a yawner. My ex and I were trying to see if we could work things out and were seeing a therapist. His early years had been spent in the Georgia area working for the church.

        A lot of those who he dealt with were gay and struggling with issues regarding their sexual orientation and their membership.

        He told me in 1981 that the position was, you can't make most of them become heterosexual. Try to help them practice celebacy. Often after that when I would hear in church meetings the, you can change them stuff I just shook my head.

        It appears some in the upper leadership had a clear understanding and I guess others didn't.

        Comment

        Working...