Utah: Most Charitable State

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #1

    Utah: Most Charitable State



    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #2
    Most interesting to me is that there really isn't a close second.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69720

      #3
      Thanks tithing.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • PaloAltoCougar
        Semper infra dignitatem
        • Nov 2008
        • 16938

        #4
        I note that the percentage is computed "...as a percentage of discretionary income -- your income excluding essential expenses." Clearly a lot of people aren't paying on their gross.

        Comment

        • Paperback Writer
          Signature won a Pulitzer
          • Nov 2010
          • 5211

          #5
          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I note that the percentage is computed "...as a percentage of discretionary income -- your income excluding essential expenses." Clearly a lot of people aren't paying on their gross.
          ...like those non-Mormons!
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

          Comment

          • Non Sequitur
            Where did I put my bodkin
            • Nov 2008
            • 5773

            #6
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Thanks tithing.
            Yeah, paying tithing isn't really contributing to charity, it's more like paying protection.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

            Comment

            • San Juan Sun
              Kicked to the curb
              • Dec 2009
              • 9214

              #7
              Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
              Yeah, paying tithing isn't really contributing to charity, it's more like paying protection.
              It's fire insurance, bro.
              "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

              - Ty Cobb

              Comment

              • Donuthole
                Official Outgayer
                • Nov 2008
                • 25269

                #8
                Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                Yeah, paying tithing isn't really contributing to charity, it's more like paying protection.
                It could be worse; you could be giving your money to "cure" cancer or "help" police officers, firefighters, and veterans.

                I'll let UD swoop (!) in and make some thinly-veiled analogies to the Corporation of the President of the Church.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                Comment

                • CardiacCoug
                  вот так штука
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 11013

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  It could be worse; you could be giving your money to "cure" cancer or "help" police officers, firefighters, and veterans.

                  I'll let UD swoop (!) in and make some thinly-veiled analogies to the Corporation of the President of the Church.
                  Yep when I look at stuff like that it makes me feel really good about my Fast Offering donations.

                  And yeah it pains me a little bit to pay tithing and maybe this is just my way to justify it but I do think it helps me put money in the right perspective -- it's just money and there's a lot more to life.

                  Comment

                  Working...