An Athetist Walks Into An LDS Chapel...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #1

    An Athetist Walks Into An LDS Chapel...

    and has the following experience:

    This morning was one of those typical Seattle mornings.  It was kind of dark and very overcast and cool.  Not cold, but not really warm either.  The clouds overhead looked like they could rain, but…
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats
  • ERCougar
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10978

    #2
    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Nice--thanks for posting.
    We--I, at least--sometimes lose track of just how much goodness is in our Church. It's not perfect, but nothing is.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #3
      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      Nice--thanks for posting.
      We--I, at least--sometimes lose track of just how much goodness is in our Church. It's not perfect, but nothing is.
      I agree with his negative score for how parents deal with their noisy kids.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • Pelado
        Bald not naked
        • Sep 2010
        • 21139

        #4
        That sounds about right:

        Noisy Kids (-2)
        Parents who won’t take noisy kids out of the room and strangle them (-2)
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

        Comment

        • SoCalCoug
          Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
          • Nov 2008
          • 5214

          #5
          Now, if I had a church, my Jesus would taste like nachos and salsa. Just sayin.
          Amen!
          If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

          "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

          "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

          Comment

          • Blueintheface
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 15382

            #6
            Nice. I always like to hear that an LDS congregation passed the sociologically-curious test.

            P.S. I'm also pleased he didn't attend a high councilmen service.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #7
              Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post

              P.S. I'm also pleased he didn't attend a high councilmen service.

              LOL, how true.

              Comment

              • Mrs. Funk
                Lawyer Wannabe
                • Nov 2008
                • 2690

                #8
                Well, if our chapels had cry rooms with windows and piped in the meeting, it'd be a million times easier for both parents and congregants who want quiet meetings. Our solution has been to not attend sacrament meeting since we switched to 1 PM church when our kid is deadly in need of a nap.
                "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                Comment

                • SoCalCoug
                  Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5214

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                  Well, if our chapels had cry rooms with windows and piped in the meeting, it'd be a million times easier for both parents and congregants who want quiet meetings. Our solution has been to not attend sacrament meeting since we switched to 1 PM church when our kid is deadly in need of a nap.
                  We're going to have newborn twins, in addition to a 6-year-old and a 4-year-old when we switch to the 9 a.m. schedule. Not quite sure how well we're going to deal with that.
                  If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

                  "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

                  "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

                  Comment

                  • Indy Coug
                    Heartless Bastard
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 18747

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                    Well, if our chapels had cry rooms with windows and piped in the meeting, it'd be a million times easier for both parents and congregants who want quiet meetings. Our solution has been to not attend sacrament meeting since we switched to 1 PM church when our kid is deadly in need of a nap.
                    When we had a newborn and a 2-5PM block, I'd sit in the foyer for sacrament and then take her home to nap the rest of the block away. I didn't have a calling that needed me there on Sundays, so there weren't any conflicts that way.
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

                    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                    Comment

                    • Mrs. Funk
                      Lawyer Wannabe
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2690

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                      We're going to have newborn twins, in addition to a 6-year-old and a 4-year-old when we switch to the 9 a.m. schedule. Not quite sure how well we're going to deal with that.
                      We're contemplating a kid leash for church. Though honest to goodness I think they should have a "toddler" section of the chapel with 5 point harnesses built into the pews.
                      "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                      Comment

                      • Topper
                        Pre-Historic Man
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 11764

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        When we had a newborn and a 2-5PM block, I'd sit in the foyer for sacrament and then take her home to nap the rest of the block away. I didn't have a calling that needed me there on Sundays, so there weren't any conflicts that way.
                        I always thought of the foyer. Some wards also do pipe in the sacrament to another room. I've seen it piped into a gospel doctrine room and once into the unused primary room.

                        Brigham Young had a quote attributed to him, which made sense: "Crying children like good intentions should be carried out."
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                        Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                        Comment

                        • Mrs. Funk
                          Lawyer Wannabe
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 2690

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          I always thought of the foyer. Some wards also do pipe in the sacrament to another room. I've seen it piped into a gospel doctrine room and once into the unused primary room.

                          Brigham Young had a quote attributed to him, which made sense: "Crying children like good intentions should be carried out."
                          Do people just sit their with wailing kids in everyone's wards? I would die of mortification. We preemptively spend any sacrament meetings we actually attend in the foyer. Of course, Toddler Funk has discovered the drinking fountain and is trying to get a head start on that baptism by immersion thing.
                          "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                          Comment

                          • jay santos
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 13652

                            #14
                            Yeah, take a crying kid out. But other than that, let them roam around and do what they want. The people annoyed by kids are the ones with the problem.

                            Comment

                            • byu71
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22070

                              #15
                              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              Yeah, take a crying kid out. But other than that, let them roam around and do what they want. The people annoyed by kids are the ones with the problem.

                              I agree. Kids should be made to feel as comfortable as possible. So should old people and that is why I watch devotionals instead of going to church.

                              Comment

                              Working...