Elizabeth Smart & Chewing Gum

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moliere
    replied
    Originally posted by All-American View Post
    And yet we admire the martyrs who would die rather than abandon their Christian faith. Bizzare, indeed.
    Really AA? There's a difference between choosing to not deny your faith and being raped.

    Leave a comment:


  • Moliere
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This is one of those bizarro moments when you realize someone is arguing that "it is better to be dead than to have consensual sex" is a rational alternative explanation. Good hell.
    I distinctly remember my mom telling her kids this exact thing. She instructed her daughters that if they ever get raped they should fight back and never give in even until death. I found it an odd teaching 25 years ago and I still find it odd (although now it's more offensive). I don't care what any of the lawyers on this board say about the meaning of the quotes posted here, it is clear that how JL described it above was the generally meaning within the church. That's the only thing that matters. All this parsing of words and use of dictionaries is only to serve to show that the brethren were not technically wrong in their statements.

    Ultimately, this is the very reason that I pay little attention to general conference these days. In 20 years we'll look back and parse through crazy apostle statements on gays and women's roles.

    Leave a comment:


  • edward777
    replied
    Talked with a teen who had taken my suggestion up to attend seminary with her LDS friend. She said that the teacher used the licked candy thing in a lesson. I turned it into a joke and said, "Why do all the guys and girls want to lick Candy for? Why is she so popular?" Of course this defused her objections and I discussed the issue of chastity with her in a constructive context.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jarid in Cedar
    replied
    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    But he included me, which smacks a bit of desperation.
    I was throwing you a bone. I am, if nothing else, a charitable person.

    Leave a comment:


  • woot
    replied
    Yikes. Wuap went way overboard but he's dead-on about the UVA/Jacob comparison.

    Pro tip: if you are ever willing to give an inch when one of your points is refuted, it'll seem less like petulance when you do dig in your heels. At this point, you're not even considering the validity of anyone's statements; your only strategy is deny, deny, deny.

    I do think some have made a little bit too much out of some of the GAs' comments, but some of them couldn't be any plainer, or more plainly harmful. If you care more about abuse victims than about propping up the infallibility of leaders that don't even claim to be, those comments are simply indefensible. Regardless, those comments are very easy to "misinterpret", and the church seems to agree given their efforts to de-emphasize them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Non Sequitur
    replied
    Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    But you have not learned how to disagree without being disagreeable. Watch Indy, AA, and LA Ute. They have lessons for you to learn.
    That lesson is rope-a-dope. Take an untenable position, deflect, duck and occasionally throw out a glancing blow. It's not a winning strategy, but it allows you a few extra rounds.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bruiserstone
    replied
    How any one can attempt to defend any of these quotes is beyond me. Particularly the RGS quote, just awful. The audience he was speaking to makes it a zillion times worse. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL!
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Here are a few.

    Leave a comment:


  • Indy Coug
    replied
    Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
    Maybe we just got off to a bad start.
    Hmmmm

    Leave a comment:


  • UVACoug
    replied
    Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Jarid's agreeable enough. And I don't just say that because he just got done saying something nice about me.
    He's been nothing but a jerk to me since the moment I got here. Maybe we just got off to a bad start.

    Leave a comment:


  • Indy Coug
    replied
    Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Jarid's agreeable enough. And I don't just say that because he just got done saying something nice about me.
    But he included me, which smacks a bit of desperation.

    Leave a comment:


  • All-American
    replied
    Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
    Talk about irony.
    Jarid's agreeable enough. And I don't just say that because he just got done saying something nice about me.

    Leave a comment:


  • UVACoug
    replied
    Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    And i have no problem allowing you to expose yourself for the blowhard that you are. I consider it a public service. If you actually took a moment of introspection, you may see it. But you have not learned how to disagree without being disagreeable. Watch Indy, AA, and LA Ute. They have lessons for you to learn.
    Talk about irony.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jarid in Cedar
    replied
    Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
    I have no problem being an asshole to you. You ask for it continually. If you actually bothered to consider anything I have said, things would be different. But you don't ... so
    And i have no problem allowing you to expose yourself for the blowhard that you are. I consider it a public service. If you actually took a moment of introspection, you may see it. But you have not learned how to disagree without being disagreeable. Watch Indy, AA, and LA Ute. They have lessons for you to learn.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 05-07-2013, 10:38 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • CardiacCoug
    replied
    Originally posted by wuapinmon
    Edited by pelagius because wuap's post was way over the line.
    Thread killed.
    Last edited by pelagius; 05-08-2013, 05:59 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • UVACoug
    replied
    Originally posted by wuapinmon
    Edited by pelagius because wuap's post was way over the line.
    Except you haven't proved a damn thing. In fact, there has been little (if any) evidence presented here at all.

    If it makes you feel better about yourself to think you have proved something, though ... knock yourself out.
    Last edited by pelagius; 05-08-2013, 05:58 AM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...